Pioneer AVIC 6100NEX Installed

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I wanted to get all of this in one thread, since I have posted some of it elsewhere, and some nowhere until now.

Installed a Pioneer AVIC 6100NEX with CarPlay, Nav, and rear-view cam. A lot of wires to make it all work. I've added a backup cam and spare tire subwoofer. This was a pretty complex install that took me a week of working on it in the evenings to get it all done. And then another week to get the sub and camera installed.

Results are fantastic. I really like everything about this setup especially Carplay.

So many wires behind the HU.
cables.jpg

Uses the factory mounting brackets
mount.jpg

Microphone installed
mic.jpg

Fits with no cutting to the Bezel (The AVIC 7100 and 8100 have larger screens and would need the bezel trimmed back).
panel.jpg

preview_png.jpg

For the GPS antenna, I siliconed it to the bottom of the dash near the ECU. It looks up through the windshield and works well and is of course completely invisible. I have very good signal strength with this setup.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Very cool! Show us what you did for the sub in the spare tire area! I'd like to do something similar.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The subwoofer was next . This is a Bose "spare tire" subwoofer from a Nissan Murano driven by a Kenwood KAC-M3001 600W Class D amp that is marine rated which makes it ideal for the hatch area. This is set up to be driven off the AVIC NEX receiver subwoofer lines that I routed when the stereo head unit was installed. I powered it from the power antenna B+ line. I know sacrilege. But it sounds fine to me.

Another compact amp that would fit just fine is the Rockford Fosgate Punch PK211 300 Watt mono amplifier. The Kenwood is 5-11/16 X 1-3/4 X 3-7/8 and the RF is 1.53 x 4.25 x 6.75 (in).

The sub actually sits under the wood floor of the rear deck. I had thought this was going to be a disaster, but it actually works absolutely fine. After including the subwoofer calibration in the AVIC Auto EQ feature with the microphone on the driver seat headrest I was super happy with the results. Finally a MK3 with some bass when its needed.

This is the amp installed under the wooden deck. There is enough room that it closes normally.

IMG_5893s.JPG

The sub sits in the stock Supra spare tire that I inverted. That is only possible if you modify the tire mount pylon in the well so that it fits through the tire hub. A standard metric bolt replaces the stock spare tire wing nut.

IMG_5895s.JPG
IMG_5897s.JPG

Last edited:

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This head unit requires a couple of USB ports and the microphone (AUX) line. I decided to put them all on the center armrest. In one USB port I have a 256 GB USB flash drive with a ton of music on it. For the other I have a permanently installed lightning cable that runs down the side of my seat. I plug in the phone when I need to use Carplay. Otherwise blue tooth works great with the integrated microphone and speakers. Its a good as the factory setup in my brand new Legacy.

usb.jpg

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
There is a thread here on the Diamond Audio D364.5 Install for the rest of the speakers. I installed these before the AVIC head unit and they never really sounded very good with the stock Toyota head unit. After running Auto EQ with the microphone installed on the driver seat headrest these speakers came alive.

Last edited:

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For the backup camera I selected a small camera that could be mounted in the top part of the license plate cutout. The camera I selected was purchased from Amazon. It is an AOSILEY vehicle backup camera with a 170 degree wide angle, waterproof, and HD.

camera1.jpg

camera2.jpg

This particular camera came with a hole saw that I used to drill right through the plastic "ceiling" of the license plate recess. I then ran the wiring through an existing grommet for the license plate illumination. I connected the camera power lead to the car backup lights, which I regret because it prevents me from using the camera except with the car in reverse. If I go back in there I will reconnect it to something that is on with the ignition switch so I can switch to rear view at any time on the head unit.

The following pictures show details of the installation. In my opinion it looks oem. It is also very hard to see it from a distance of more than a few feet.

DSCF3196s.JPG

DSCF3199s.JPG

DSCF3201s.JPG

DSCF3203s.JPG

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
3p....

nice install on the camera! Very inconspicuous.

That bose sub enclosure. Do they still make that? I Wonder how big the actual sub is because not a lot of room in that spare tire area to fit a full on 10" or 12" witout having to make the sub removable for access to the nut to remove spare tire.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The Bose sub is available used on Ebay. Search for "Murano bose sub"

It has two small drivers. The one I have does not come with an internal amplifier, but some do. There's plenty of info to be found on them. Here is one video.