Phoenix's 7mgte barn find

phoenixb

Ok I have started another thread on my car troubles, thanks for your patience and shoutout to everyone inhding 3p for the wisdom, anyway this is a 1989 7mgte, coil leads and spark plugs are new, fuel pump is new, battery is Good, radiator holds coolant previous owner replaced head gasket, just flushed coolant and engine and lsd oil Is fresh. Firstly it wouldn't turn over at all, an auto electrical said he disabled the anti theft device and got it cranking but not spark, i jumped a lead from battery to ignition fuse at kick panel, this got power to ecu and got the car running, I drove it home from a friend's property. Ive now got the fuel tank welded up. I still can only get power to ecu by jumping the ignition fuse, but I now cannot get it to crank at all, tried 3 charged batteries, I have also tried jumping
The blue black starter cable but nothing, I jacked up the car this afternoon but may need to take the intake manifold off to properly get to the starter motor. The alternator gets really hot when the battery is just connected so I have disconnected while trying to turn it over, the battery is on charge at the moment, it may be the starter solenoid or could be the starter earth car, either I may need to take off this manifold, have you taken off a starter motor before and can give me some pointers? Thanks

phoenixb

Optimized-IMG20201103112458.jpg the carpet/seats have been to taken out cleaned and scrubbed, the car has been washed, buffed and polished

phoenixb

update: starter motor is out, it looks quite old and is rusty inside the solenoid, the pinion engages when i test it but does not spin

phoenixb

8956902E-DCDB-4FA1-97FA-B50CDE525BDE.jpeg funny you say that, there is a ground wire on this car bolted to the engine going absolutely no where. Would you know where the noise filter is? It may be the ground for it, I will take another look at the diagrams

phoenixb

starter motor update: i cleaned the copper solenoids inside the starter with hydrogen peroxide and it now seems to be working, i will reinstall into car tommorrow and fingers crossed i get turn it over

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
@phoenixb

@Piratetip is correct.. that is the OEM ignition coil drain wire. Incase the coils short to ground that way the plate does not store the energy. This way it just send it to ground and you end up on the receiving end of an accidental discharge with you being the ground drain.

Reactions: debrucer

phoenixb

AEBCE745-5C99-41C1-B793-D088AF5C1EBF.jpeg Update:starter motor is back in, and is cranking well, I have jumped the 7.5A ignition fuse at the kick panel to the battery, and now the car is running quite well.
However I’m not getting any tach reading? Nor am I getting any dash lights now. Clock works, tems lights work, headlights and horn work but that’s it. Last time I jumped the ignition fuse I was getting a check engine light but not anymore... no More open door sensor light and no More electric windows :(

Reactions: debrucer

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Did you fix the hot alternator problem? That sounded like bad diodes in the alternator probably from connecting the battery cables backwards at some point in the past.

phoenixb

alternator still unusually hot, do you have a recommendation for a new one? reliable and something that can run a sound system but not too expensive haha

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
One option is a early 90s MR2 alternator for the one with power steering. You'll need to swap the pulley, but it's a drop-in otherwise. They're 100A, IIRC.
Driftmotion sells a 140A one.