One last build thread

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
No same old song and dance. Go to the dyno, fuel pressure is dropping under wot. Base pressure is @ 42psi., under boost, it would go to around 55-60 for about a second and then start falling back to 42. The afr's would of course go lean and we'd have to abort the mission.
Drove it home and thought it has to be the fpr. Ordered a new one from summit. I just put it on and drove it down the road and it still runs like crap. It's running lean and I'm not under any boost. If I give it gas to try and build boost, it goes super lean and won't let me. I feel like something happened to one of the pumps or both of them when installing them. I read somewhere that said the filters could be collapsing on themselves. Not sure about that, but there has to be a hole in a line inside the tank. I don't know why it is messing up though because it was running great on one walbro 450 up to 24psi. We never made it near that much boost on the dyno though so both pumps are somehow malfunctioning. I'll have to take out the entire setup first chance I get and see what's happening. I know it makes it hard to keep working on this car when all I seem to have is problems. Makes me want to go buy a used GTR so bad.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay

A70nut

Authorized Seller
No same old song and dance. Go to the dyno, fuel pressure is dropping under wot. Base pressure is @ 42psi., under boost, it would go to around 55-60 for about a second and then start falling back to 42. The afr's would of course go lean and we'd have to abort the mission.
Drove it home and thought it has to be the fpr. Ordered a new one from summit. I just put it on and drove it down the road and it still runs like crap. It's running lean and I'm not under any boost. If I give it gas to try and build boost, it goes super lean and won't let me. I feel like something happened to one of the pumps or both of them when installing them. I read somewhere that said the filters could be collapsing on themselves. Not sure about that, but there has to be a hole in a line inside the tank. I don't know why it is messing up though because it was running great on one walbro 450 up to 24psi. We never made it near that much boost on the dyno though so both pumps are somehow malfunctioning. I'll have to take out the entire setup first chance I get and see what's happening. I know it makes it hard to keep working on this car when all I seem to have is problems. Makes me want to go buy a used GTR so bad.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay
You definitely seem to have a flow restriction with pressure dropping as you lean into boost and the duty cycle increases on the injectors. How old is the fuel filter? Is it a stock unit? Possible maybe a fuel hose in the tank split? What kind of clamps did you use?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I checked everything today. I took the pumps back out and checked the hoses. No cuts in the hoses, and the clamps are tight. I did have a wire that wasn't connected very well. I put everything back in, tried to crank the car and now I don't have power to either pump, or at least they're not coming on. I got frustrated, shut the hatch and went inside to watch T.V. ……..I'll work on it again later when I have a clear head and not in the mood to set my car on fire.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
How is the fuel pump control set up in your ECU?
Didn't you have someone trigger the 2nd pump on once into boost?
Might be worth verifying it's all setup right.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
What kind of wiring setup do you have? Maybe the pumps have high resistance somewhere in their power circuit and are operating at a low voltage causing pressure drop because they aren't supplying enough but to keep up out of boost?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
The first pump comes on with ignition turned on. Second pump comes on at 16psi of boost. I'm using the MS3pro to control everything. I hope to work on it this weekend with Jason. He's better at electrical problems than I am. I like to fix things with a hammer and he's good at talking me off the ledge and stepping away from my vehicle till I calm down. You'd think seeing a therapist once a week would be enough to give me more patience. This car is just driving me crazy right now. I know it will all be worth it once I get the bugs fixed though.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
The first pump comes on with ignition turned on. Second pump comes on at 16psi of boost. I'm using the MS3pro to control everything. I hope to work on it this weekend with Jason. He's better at electrical problems than I am. I like to fix things with a hammer and he's good at talking me off the ledge and stepping away from my vehicle till I calm down. You'd think seeing a therapist once a week would be enough to give me more patience. This car is just driving me crazy right now. I know it will all be worth it once I get the bugs fixed though.
Yeah, I kept getting stranded last year from experimenting from wiring issues with an electric fan setup and bad pin fits on fuel pump wiring. I know how it feels to have one problem after another, but when it all comes together it makes it way better.

Reactions: debrucer

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Jason is coming over tomorrow so hopefully we can figure this crap out. I'm getting tired of spending my weekends under this car because of stupid things that always seem to happen to it. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of man hours trying to make it one of the best examples of an MKIII and it always seems to disappoint me. I'm trying to remain positive and hope this weekend turns out great. I'll keep you posted either way. Thanks, Jay

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Jason is coming over tomorrow so hopefully we can figure this crap out. I'm getting tired of spending my weekends under this car because of stupid things that always seem to happen to it. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of man hours trying to make it one of the best examples of an MKIII and it always seems to disappoint me. I'm trying to remain positive and hope this weekend turns out great. I'll keep you posted either way. Thanks, Jay
I know the feeling, I spent probably 30 cumulative hours broken down last year sorting out issues the car was having with electric fans and fuel pump wiring. Made it hard to see a point in keeping progress going at times, but getting to rip it when it worked made it worth it. You cant have one of the best examples without going through r&d first. Keep your head up and it'll work out.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
OK...…...so I had a short in the wiring where a terminal was touching the top hat over the pumps. We fixed that, pumps were coming on. Pressure was still dropping as I reved it up. We unhooked one of the pumps and wired it directly to the battery. Constant 12 volts, revved it up, and the boost fell off. We knew it wasn't the pumps then so we took my inline fuel filter off and it was clogged. Cleaned it with brake fluid and now it's running like a sewing machine. Hopefully now it won't act like a fool on the dyno once I can get it back over there. Maybe this time, it will make the 750 I know it should be making.
After I get it tuned on the dyno, I can start tearing it all down again and replacing the r154 with my 6r80. I've got mostly everything I"ll need.
6r80 transmission
quick shift transmission controller
steering wheel from camry with paddle shifters
New torque converter that mates up to 2jz flywheel and 6r80 trans
Adapter plate for 2jz to 6r80
I still need transmission cooler, drive shaft, and transmission mount.

Reactions: A70nut

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Glad you got it sorted.
Start with the simple stuff.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
He said he had three cars to get out of his shop and then we could tune it. I'm not sure what he's doing to them so it could be a while and Birmingham just issued a mandatory lock down. If you're caught out in Birmingham and you're not going to the doctor or from the doctor, you could face up to 180 days in jail. What a crock of shit!!!!
Don't they know I've got to get my car tuned?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Seems a bit excessive.
People still need to go to the store to get food.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Wow!! Took my beautiful wife Vonda for a ride yesterday. The car was running like crap under boost again. Luckily I was watching the AFR gauge when I did a second gear pull. Car pulled strong but I noticed the afr's got 12,13,14,,,,,,,,,,OH shit, abort mission. I said that was weird so I did a third gear pull......12,13...…...abort abort.
Took the inline fuel filter off again, checked the screen. Stopped up again. Cleaned it, and drove it down the road. Pulls like a train again. I know we had to add some new hose after the filter a few days ago when we cleaned the filter the first time. I guess there was some junk in the lines. I don't know. I hope this doesn't become a regular routine. I'm buying a new inline filter to add to the existing one. I'm getting a pre filter. Maybe it will catch some of the garbage before it gets to the other filter with teeny tiny holes in the screen.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I presume you have the car on e85, if so it's quite common for e85 cars to flush themselves of junk with alcohol in the system. Or maybe you got a tank with junk in it from the station.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Yes, it's on e85. I ordered a pre filter last night from summit. I should have it tomorrow. Once I get it installed, hopefully this won't be so common.
Still waiting to hear back from Blake on when I can bring it to get it tuned. I will post up results here for sure.

MK_rider

Authorized Seller
suprahero, glad you're sorting it out. Great looking supra, will be following along for sure on this build.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I finally got the car tuned. At 25 psi, it made 610rwhp on a mustang dyno. I think I'm going to leave it alone for a while and just drive it. Once I get my spare block rebuilt with forged goodies, I'll turn it up some more. The weather here is beautiful and the car is fun to drive. I'm afraid of tearing up the r154 if I go up too much more. Once I get the 6r80 in it, I'll be good to go for another hundred and fifty horses.
This is my wife and daughter driving in my wife's Porsche.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
85% ? You can't let 15% stop you from enjoying your car. Get that shit fixed before summer is over.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I "think" i damaged an intake valve on cylinder 6. I think it was when i was running the VPC racing a turbo sentra. Car ran a little bit lean during that race so I think I may have damaged something. Compression is fine but Im getting some slight leakage through the intake. So Im going to pull the head, rebuild it again, swap in some 950cc and get the megasquirt tuned for some fun. Im hoping I can complete this by the end of the year.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sounds like a good plan. Hope it goes smoothly.
I got my first legit kill yesterday. I ran up on a white 5.0 with the tag MYFSTBK. We ran twice, once from a third gear kick and the other from a second gear kick. I walked away from him pretty strongly both times. He wins in the exhaust sound competition, but he needed about two hundred more horses to win where it counts.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I initially read that as. My First Burger King
Lol
But I see Fastback now.

turbogate

Life is Boost
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Congrats on the numbers. Glad to see you finally have everything sorted out! Car looks very good in the video!

Reactions: suprahero

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I'm driving the car an hour and a half tomorrow to get the daily driving stuff sorted out on the megasquirt. It occasionally cuts off when I pull up to a red light, and I'd like to add a few fail safes. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Reactions: debrucer

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Getting mine to idle properly in all situations with the megasquirt has been a hell of a task. I can either have a high idle or stalling, that elusive middle ground is hard to find. It's enough to make me wonder if another brand of ecu might have better strategies but I love the MS platform otherwise.

The below has got me as close as possible:
Use the idle timing table for general stability, add timing if it drops too low or pull it out if idling high.
Under idle settings there is a choice of "use last value" or "use table"..... use the table and have fun populating it.
Set the table to IAT based, coolant based is useless. Then you basically need to work out the starting point for every idle speed at every air temp. What works great on a cold day will stall on a hot day etc etc.
It uses this value to kick start the idle process before it enters closed loop. Too high and it will try to drive through overrun, never entering closed loop. Too low and it will stall out coming up to lights.
Happy hunting!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Well, I made it home safely...……….just not with my car. I had to leave it at the shop. We got the idle fixed with closed loop, not it idles perfectly at a red light or drive through. Unfortunately, on the second trip we were taking to test everything, my clutch felt funny.....not funny ha ha. I told him it wasn't right and before I could turn around, the clutch went to the floor. Of course no one had a clutch master cylinder, but auto zone was going to get one by the end of the day. I had to leave the car there so they could replace the master cylinder, then check the tuning and put in a couple fail safes. That way, I can drive back out there with it tuned and ready to take home. Hopefully it works out that way. I'll keep you in the loop with updates as I get them. Thanks Andrew for the suggestions.