One last build thread

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
<SNIP>been up and under my car all day and now I remember why I'm not a mechanic.<SNIP> I dread that.
People stop by the garage all the time... trying to figure out if I can do this, or that. Hell, if I were a mechanic I would have been done ten years ago... and yes, I also dread those jobs. My fuel filter banjo fitting is waiting for me to get back in there and replace the copper washers that were special ordered. There's always something... sore tonight? lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I got everything put back together except for the exhaust and I still have to fix the leaky -8 fuel line. Once I get that put back together I can start trying to wire it in so my second pump only comes on at wot once I reach a certain boost pressure. Anyone have suggestions on this? I don’t need it till about 24 psi. I will probably have it come on about 19-20 so that I know I have plenty of fuel at 24 and beyond. This 6466 spools up sooo fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: debrucer

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
There's always something... sore tonight? lol
Not sore at all. I build decks for a living so even at 49 I’m in better shape than a lot of people. I’m going to be out of town in Atl for the next two weeks so I won’t get much done. I am coming home on weekends so maybe I’ll feel like finishing it up. I feel like I’m so close to being done.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not sore at all. I build decks for a living so even at 49 I’m in better shape than a lot of people. I’m going to be out of town in Atl for the next two weeks so I won’t get much done. I am coming home on weekends so maybe I’ll feel like finishing it up. I feel like I’m so close to being done.
I thought you said you were an old guy :)

I'm 70+, been here since 8 AM, and man am I going to be beat tonight :(

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
and to boot, today, cleaning up, organizing the garage, I found the two brass washers for the fuel filter that I ordered a long time ago... so long that I ordered them again and got them last week. Guess the memory is going, too. This garage is going to be like a modern day barn find for someone if I don't get her done soon.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
70+ and still into cars? You should have retired to the Cadillac by now...…...lol
I am old compared to a lot of guys on here buy you sir have me beat. I still feel young and stay as active as possible. I love golf and racquetball more than sitting on the couch. I guess that helps me stay young at heart. I also love racing at the track and on the streets. I know I'll get flamed for that, but I don't pretend or lie and say I don't. I have a lot of regard for human life and don't race on busy highways or roads. I live in one of the most rural areas in Alabama so it's not like our roads are equivalent to those in big cities.

• Love

A70nut

Authorized Seller
What ecu are you running? I would think it would be as simple as setting up a table that has a target boost pressure that controls a ground output from the ecu once you reach a specified manifold pressure. Almost like a duty cycle map but very binary.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
What ecu are you running? I would think it would be as simple as setting up a table that has a target boost pressure that controls a ground output from the ecu once you reach a specified manifold pressure. Almost like a duty cycle map but very binary.
I have the Megasquirt MS3pro. It will do what I want it to do, I've just got to get it wired in and then tuned.

He writes at exactly 4:20 :)
Come on man, I said I was a carpenter...……...lol
JK, About the only vice I have is playing poker and gambling on the golf course.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
  • Wow

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
It's going to be a journey, that's for sure, but it's one I'm willing to take on.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Another piece to my puzzle arrived today.
757D72CF-BA86-4174-9447-A9EBECD7C34C.jpeg
F66E52B9-70F3-4A27-A919-0F967EDD6CA1.jpeg
This is made for the 6r80 and it bolts up to the 2jz flex plate.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
As for the transmission support... Is there any way a couple really strong zip ties would work?

Just kidding. Trying to see if anyone is still reading about this. I feel like once I'm through, this thing will be a low ten second car and maybe even a nine second car. Does anyone know how much horsepower in general you need to run nines? Mine should be really close to eight hundred horsepower.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Don't launch too hard!
Don't want you to snap the head off the pinion in the diff.
(Drag radials and hard launches at the dragstrip are one of the very few failure modes I know of for our OEM diffs)

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Driftmotion sells the 29 spline pinion upgrade for our differentials. James Ward did 8s in his car with a stock style diff with weir components for what it's worth though.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah the 29 spline upgrade wont help the area I am referring to though.
27 spline and 29 spline pinions have the same diameter where it meets the head of the pinion. (35mm)
Also the radius where it meets the pinion head necks down to 33.5mm.

I put every other upgrade in Jay's diff plus a couple additional.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Yeah the 29 spline upgrade wont help the area I am referring to though.
27 spline and 29 spline pinions have the same diameter where it meets the head of the pinion. (35mm)
Also the radius where it meets the pinion head necks down to 33.5mm.

I put every other upgrade in Jay's diff plus a couple additional.

Ahhh, I get what you're meaning now, is the shaft hollow? Or is 35mm just pretty weak for close to 1000whp and sticky tires on a prepped surface?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
No it's completely solid. Very very strong.
But yeah when you start pushing over 800hp and hard launching on this diff, something is going to give.
I don't advise doing that unless you swap to a different bigger diff setup.

Though that being said our 8" diff is amazingly stout for it's size. Takes a heck of a lot of abuse and survives if set up right.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I have snapped stock diff already by dumping the clutch on a very well prepped surface. My car didn't even move. It just puked up lots of gear oil.....lol

I"m not building the car for a track car, but I thought it would be fun to go to a few midnight madness runs with other street cars. I'll make sure I feather it off the line.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Good plan :)
It will survive if you don't shock load it.

Any photos of the internals on the one that exploded?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
It didn't hurt the internals if I remember correctly. It broke the front of the LSD off. The driveshaft was laying on the ground attached to the round part that it attaches to. It broke the actual housing. I'll try to find it tomorrow if I still have it and take a picture of it. I may or may not have kept it.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Ah, interesting!

How many diff's do you have lying around anyway?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I didn't get home from work till late so I didn't get to look for the carnage. I'll be home earlier tomorrow and try to locate it for pictures. I think I have about four lsd's laying around. I had to help a friend of mine with his so he took one of them. I had seven at one time, but I've sold one or two of them the past couple of years. I think I have about four automatic transmissions and two r154's. I started hording parts since they're harder and harder to find.

Reactions: Piratetip

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Thaks for checking in Eric. I will get the car off of the jack stands tomorrow. Today we got the two pumps wired in. One is on all the time. The other one comes on when the boost hits 18psi. I don't actually need it until 23 psi, but thought it would be better to have early than when I actually need it. What do you think?
We also took four stock dash / gauge clusters and made one that works. I've had a hard time finding one that everything works in it. I finally have a tach, temp gauge, oil pressure, and fuel level that works along with all the lights. It's crazy how satisfying that is. I guess that's what happens when your gauge clusters are thirty years old.
Tomorrow I plan on cleaning the car up and driving it thirty minutes away to play golf. It's crazy it's February and I'll have the targa top off. Tomorrow's high is 67...…….in February. Crazy.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Washed it and drove it today. I will try to set up dyno time this week. Once tuned I can start my auto swap.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Thanks guys.
I can honestly say the car has less squeaks and rattles coming from the back with the new subframe bushings. I also purchased some dynamat that will hopefully help drown out the ones that are still present.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
205-243-0622 Lunch is on me. That goes for anyone reading this but expecially JAV