One last build thread

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Just thought I'd start a new thread and let everyone know how my car sits at this moment. It's in my garage with the fuel pump out. I'm having to add another w450. While it's down for that, I thought I'd tackle the bushings. Now, I'm not a mechanic, nor have I played one on tv......but I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and see what I can get done. I also plan on beefing up the supports on the subframe while I have it down and out. I already have a built lsd from Pirate Tip, so I'm not worried about that.
I ordered a bellhousing from QuickTime tonight that will mate up my 2jz to my 6r80 that I've purchased. I also have the quick shift, gear shift lever from a mustang, and the center console from a mustang. I'm going to figure out a way to make that work if I can't make my stock center console work with the shifter. As you can see, I have a lot going on. Once I get the rear subframe back in and the fuel pumps installed, I'll go to the dyno to get it tuned properly. I don't want to have any tuning issues while trying to figure out the auto with the quick shift software. I'm on ms3pro but the quick shift has it's on software for controlling the trans. I will do my best to figure out how to download pictures on here as I go. I will try to take lots of pictures and a few dyno videos to show the progress as I go.
Hopefully those of you who haven't been on here in a while can start coming by and posting in my thread. I"d like to make this place busy again like the good ol days. I need you guys to keep me motivated. I will turn 50 in july and it would be so easy to just go buy a new corvette or a used GTR...……..but I"m trying to keep my car and make it one of the best MKIII's out there. Thanks, Jay

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKO and debrucer

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I've been using imgur to upload pictures. Upload to the app, then copy and paste the link into the thread and the pictures come out good quality when it is posted.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I just payed photobucket again for a year's subscription. I should be able to load them up that way. Thanks.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I just payed photobucket again for a year's subscription. I should be able to load them up that way. Thanks.
Looking forward to seeing pics! Not many east coast supra build threads on here atm (or many period).

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Looking forward to seeing pics! Not many east coast supra build threads on here atm (or many period).
Photobucket is evil. @Jeff Lange went to great extreme to correct the problems here, problems experienced all over the internet which were caused by Photobucket. Hate to see anyone supporting them. This site stores pictures on the site now in an effort to protect their existence.... for free. They don't currently take high-resolutions. I typically upload from my iPhone at the "medium" resolution. When I upload from my PC I have to go through gyrations to lower the resolution, but I figure, if it's worth posting, it's worth the effort. There's a thread in the "suggestions" section of this site which might give you some background. Please post here, looking forward to following:)

@suprahero was the OP...I responded to the wrong guy.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I'm still working on a couple of bugs and options to help ensure pictures of any resolution can be uploaded to the site, as well as making sure site emails are received by everyone. I know there have been a number of people who haven't been able to reset their password or register because of it. Will work on it shortly.

Jeff

Reactions: debrucer

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Every time I try to upload a picture, it says it's too big and it doesn't upload. It used to be so easy and I'm an old dog that can't seem to learn any new tricks.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Easy trick: open your picture with MS Paint, use the "Resize" (with "Maintain aspect ratio" checked on), save as a new file name. Even an old dog should be able to do that ;)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Every time I try to upload a picture, it says it's too big and it doesn't upload. It used to be so easy and I'm an old dog that can't seem to learn any new tricks.
@Jeff Lange spent weeks cleaning up the photos here... the ones that were broken links to PhotoBucket. Storing photos was originally discouraged here and this is where I learned about PhotoBucket. Without photos on a site like this definitely breaks the site. If I send photos from my iPhone I use the medium size button and they upload fine. If I send from my PC then they have to be opened and saved in a smaller format. I use "irfanview" which is available on "ninite.com" guaranteed virus free. Personally I am appreciative of @Jeff Lange 's efforts here, and since the site is free I'm willing to reduce the file resolution. I'm also open to more frequent "contributions"... I think in 14 years I've contributed $25 twice. Perhaps we need a contribution button :)

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Some more pictures. These are the bushings I ordered for the rear subframe. I ordered them from Driftmotion and they arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I can get them in while working on it in the evenings. Saturday I plan on adding my new additional walbro 450.

Attachments

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sorry for the random pictures. I figured out how to upload them from my phone, but some are turned 90 degrees wrong. In some pictures my car looks black. After I painted it, I wasn't happy with the color so I bought some clear and I started adding blue and violet pearl to it. First time I added too much. I bought another quart, and added a third what I did the first time. Sprayed it on a test panel and loved it. Sanded the car back down, taped my entire car and put three coats of clear over everything. Wetsanded it, buffed it and now it's a really pretty blueish purply black.

Attachments

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
This is how I make my living. I build decks, install windows, and do vinyl siding. It’s a bit off topic but I thought I would share it anyways. I built this deck about a month ago. This was her design. She found a picture in a magazine and she wanted it just like the picture.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: plaaya69

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Very nice.
You got a press for those bushings?

When I installed my superpro's on the rear subframe they were pretty dang tight.
I also had to lathe up a sleeve to push on them properly for install.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I have a press, but it's going to be hard to get the subframe up high enough and level enough to use it. I was told I could beat them in with a hammer if I used a block of wood to keep from damaging the bushings. I've already bought some grease to lather everything up.
Did you have to machine the sleeve?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
For the bushings it would help immensely to store them in a cooler with dry ice for a while before installing. You could also heat the subframe with a torch (from a distance obviously) to get it to expand to make install easier.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I have a deep freezer I can put them in for a while. I'm not sure where to get dry ice here locally. If I can't get these in, I'll just go buy a IRS out from under a newer mustang...…..lol

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I did not have to machine the busing sleeve, but it was quite a tight fit.
You could try the hammer, but be careful.

Mine were so tight a press was the only option.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Did any of you weld any extra braces on your subframe around the lsd? I have mine in the back of my truck and I'm going to go tomorrow morning and have two braces welded in for extra strength. I've seen some people do it, but was wondering how often our subframes warp or get bent out of shape.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I've always wondered that as well.
I feel like there must be some pretty consistent point of failure but no one really seems to say where.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I reinforced the subframe.
Tig Welded in some 1" tube steel.

Can dig up some photos if you like.

Another area that sometimes has issues is near where the front of the diff bolts to the subframe.
That's an area that could use some additional steel reinforcement welded into that horizontal area.

There is some fairly common fracture areas that are documented with the rear subframe.
Just need to search the forum a bit.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Yeah I had a buddy rip the front of the diff out of his subframe on a hard launch. It was rusty though to be fair.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I too have broke the front of the diff off at the track. Snapped it like a cracker and the car didn't even move. Welding the subframe wouldn't have saved the diff though. I'm having a couple 1" steel plates or tubing welded in tomorrow. This guy builds race cars so he may see some weaker points and I can get them fixed as well. Thanks, Jay

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
This is what mine looked like when I was done.
I did not end up adding reinforcement to the horizontal piece at the front of the diff there.
Mine was in decent shape though.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
This was another thread that showed another way of reinforcing the subframe.

And another thread, sadly most of the photos are broken in this one.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Lol!
Diff still looks good.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Subframe is back in . I repeat, subframe is back in. I still have to hook up brakes and everything else, but bushings are in and bolted back up to the wonderful frame of my 29 year old supra. Thank you Little Baby Jesus.
We've got severe weather coming in tomorrow but I still have high hopes of getting my second Walbro 450 installed. If I have to, I'm willing to sacrifice my 14 year old virgin neighbor from across the street. Just kidding. I mean she is 14, but she's not a virgin. In fact she's pregnant. Yep, welcome to the good ol dirty south where your kids get pregnant at 14, married at 16, and on disability at 17 living off of the government.

Wish me luck on getting to 450's in the tank tomorrow. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Not bad for an old carpenter. All things are possible with youtube and harbor freight.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That subframe turned out great and your carpentry work looks top notch too, very good detail. My house is built in 1901 and I always admire the old carpentry work from when that house was built as it was a real skilled trade that almost all carpenters had back then. Most so called carpenters I seen in my area could take some notes lol.

Did you ever consider a Walbro 525 fuel pump for a option? It is the same fuel pump used in the hellcat and similar to the Walbro 450. I still like my Walbro 450 and is good for my power range but I hear good things about the 525 version and the flow chart looks good too.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I did look at the 525 but it looked like it would still be maxing out on e85 at my power goals.
As for your house. I may have built it if it was built in 1901......lol

• Haha
Reactions: plaaya69

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
We got the two Walbro 450's in the tank. Don't ask me how because I'm still not sure how they fit. If you've never tried it, here's what we ended up doing. We had to put one pump in the tank with the hose attached to it, then put the one with the hanger in and then attach it to the AN fitting. I've been up and under my car all day and now I remember why I'm not a mechanic. I'm six foot tall and 210 pounds with not one ounce of flexibility. I'd love to say it's over, but I have one AN fitting that's leaking. I'm going to remove it at the tank, cut the hose again and then reattach it. Hopefully that fixes it. I've also still got to put the rotors, calipers and wheels back on along with the emergency brakes. I dread that.

• Love