Oil Pump Drive Shaft upgrade

DeadlyWrenches

Authorized Seller
Hello everyone. I've been hearing a slight noise from the oil pump drive shaft area, only when the engine is cold. After researching the issue here, I've learned about the failure of the oil pump drive shaft retainer and collar. Unfortunately the collar and retainer are discontinued. I bought Technico's 7M oil pump drive shaft needle bearing retainer upgrade. I know the factory manual tells you to remove the engine from the car, remove the cylinder head from the engine and remove the oil pan from the engine. I know the cylinder head rests on the inner timing case, with seal packing. Has anyone attempted to remove and reseal the inner timing case with the head installed?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It is kind of a tight fit when you also have it bolted to the oil pan and those dowel pins have line up perfect on that rear lower timing cover. I know you probably do not want to touch the head bolts or head gasket but it may possible to get done if you loosen up the front section of the oil pan to get some wiggle room.

Just my 2 cents.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
It's a pita but it can be done.

Use some fipg on the top of timing cover where it seals on the HG and be careful not to damage the HG itself sliding the cover back over the dowels.
I did this to my current engine and I'm pleased to say it's even still leak free. Did it to another one years ago and it pissed oil out at the HG, nothing some more fipg didn't fix though.
Good luck