Oil inside intercooler pipe!

supramike91

Authorized Seller
Today I was removing old intercooler pipes and found there was a lot of oil sitting in one of the pipes.. it was the pipe under turbo to intercooler. When I got the car the motor was blown. Cylinder 6 had a hole through it. I know the previous owner added a few aftermarket parts and never got around tuning it.

The car has a stock turbo
550 injectors
lexus afm

Not exactly sure why there is oil in that pipe. And I know that oil shouldn't be there. So I'm thinking the turbo is no good..

If anyone can give me tips, insight, whatever, I'd be very grateful! First turbo car I've owned and I really need to get it going. Thanks!

intercooler.jpg

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The PCV dumps into the turbo intake under boost. If the engine is worn you will get a lot of oil in the pipes and it will collect in the lowest spot of the piping. Of course, it could also be a worn out turbo.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I used to get this light oil coating also on my 87 too. A aftermarket oil catch can helps out quite a bit with this but if your turbo has never been rebuilt or has high miles, it may be a good time for a rebuild.

supramike91

Authorized Seller
Ah Thank you for the quick input guys!!

The motor has just been rebuilt, the odometer reads 70k, so the turbo could have the same or more I don't really know. I will look into getting it rebuilt and research on a catch can. Engine has stock internals bored out 20 over and a stock HG so I won't go all out on a turbo just yet.

I took pipe off and the amount of oil actually made a little puddle.. Would the intercooler be alright? I have another laying around I was just gonna switch it out to be safe

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yes the intercooler would be fine. I would just get out as much oil out as you can since you have the pipe off.