Offical 2020 Toyota GR Supra Specs, Pricing, and Photos

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
On one hand, I'm so glad it finally happened. On the other.... what exactly did Toyota build on this thing aside from the exterior body panels? The engine and interior look 100% BMW and it lacks the "Supra" feel of a wrap around cockpit.

Until I see more "Toyota" parts I'm a little disappointed. Still glad it happened, but sad it's so middle-tiered BMW. If it resembled a high-trim M car it'd be a little better, but all I can see is a 3 series.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Authorized Seller
Only other parts I heard they designed were the ECU programming. Which isn't an actual part, just different software programming.
Possibly a LSD in the rear diff that might be different than the Z4.

Also waiting for the final product release and the Supra vs Z4 detailed analysis / breakdown. Which I am sure someone will cover in it's entirety once they are out.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Only other parts I heard they designed were the ECU programming. Which isn't an actual part, just different software programming.
Possibly a LSD in the rear diff that might be different than the Z4.

Also waiting for the final product release and the Supra vs Z4 detailed analysis / breakdown. Which I am sure someone will cover in it's entirety once they are out.
Agreed. How could they take so long and only update the body, ECU software and infotainment splash screens? I'd love to see a detailed breakdown.

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Well the interior turned out to be pretty much as expected.
Everything BMW with a Toyota steering wheel tacked on.
BMW idrive and the shifter, knobs, screen, buttons, everything looks like a BMW.
What a strange mash up.

So much for the driver focused interior of the past.

I am going to coin the term BimmYota for this vehicle.

New

Old

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
it looks like they went 180 and made it so the passenger is more in control and not the driver anymore with that big divider in the console.

Where is the "Oh-Shit" grab bars on the front pillars? Maybe because of the side air bags it is probably not a option anymore?

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Good article / photos on Jalopnik.

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-when-we-crawled-under-the-2020-toyota-sup-1831800550

Suprise it's a BMW! - zero people are suprised.

I bet one of the first "mods" is to purchase the front strut braces from the Z4 model and install them where they are missing on the Supra.
I mean they didn't even attempt to redesign the airbox that has a clear slot meant for clearance from the brace.
Haha. Good entertainment.

trydrew

Suprafied
Authorized Seller
I tried to read the press brief and look at pictures prior to reading any articles or opinions about this car. Ultimately, I was left with a mix of emotions, most of which have been neatly summed up by Rx7Nut above.

Beyond that, I'm hopefully optimistic that it will do well, and sell, and more options like this continue to come to market. If I were in the market for a brand new sports car, I would probably be on-board. I honestly think the price point will put this in a place to do well, and it seems that it will at least hold its own in the performance realm.

As for the interior, this is part of the breifing:
Cockpit Concept: Wrapping the Driver
The 2020 Supra cockpit deftly blends traditional GT elements with ultra-modern functionality. The low, narrow-section dash gives the driver expansive forward visibility, ideal for precisely placing the car in corners.
A high-definition color display forms the instrument panel, projecting a large-diameter, three-dimensional meter dial that seems to float over it. The single-meter design consolidates information necessary for performance driving, such as the tachometer and shift-timing indicator, enabling the driver to easily focus on critical control information through the small-diameter steering wheel.
The display's easy-to-read layout puts multimedia information, including audio and available navigation, on the right side. An available full-color Head-Up Display projects vital driving and navigation information ahead of the driver.
Toyota designers took a fresh approach to designing the center console, giving it an asymmetrical shape that tightly envelops the driver, with a padded pillar that serves as a right leg bolster. The passenger's side of the console, meanwhile, is open for a roomy feel, yet also features kneepads for bolstering in corners.
The center console tightly groups controls for sports driving. The climate control panel protrudes from the center dash, easing operation without averting eyes from the road.
So, forward-centric. Even having read this, I looked back at the pics and thought... yeah, OK, I can see that.. but where's my wraparound? :rolleyes:

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
"The low, narrow-section dash gives the driver expansive forward visibility, ideal for precisely placing the car in corners. "
Really? Low?
What about the bulging dash around the instrument cluster and the tacked on screen hovering above the dash in the center?
LOL, wow.

Unless they are comparing visibility to a new Camaro or Challenger, then yeah it has great visibility.

This one is pretty good as well:
"Toyota designers took a fresh approach to designing the center console, giving it an asymmetrical shape that tightly envelops the driver "
Asymmetrical shape, eh?
Does anyone see what they are talking about here?

That is some really awful marketing spin talk.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Sigh. Dammit. I had such high hopes and this all just crushes those hopes.

The more I see of this I don't get why you would buy this Supra and not a lightly used M4/5/6. If you're going to have a straight up BMW, you might as well get a beastly motor out of the deal with a better spec'd car than a Z4. I expect depreciation to hit hard, as with most BMWs.

Oh well, makes me more enthusiastic and pouring money into resto-modding the mk3!

trydrew

Suprafied
Authorized Seller
Oh well, makes me more enthusiastic and pouring money into resto-modding the mk3!
:cool: and still come out ahead...

Piratetip, not trying to defend the car purposefully but noting how small it is, keep in mind the the drive POV may be a bit higher than most of these pictures depict.

I think one of the biggest swords to the heart came when I realized that the VIN doesn't start with a J, and that the VIN doesn't have the usual Toyota frame designation (unless Vin designations have changed since)... Thus revealing the marketing spin of the A90.

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Piratetip, not trying to defend the car purposefully but noting how small it is, keep in mind the the drive POV may be a bit higher than most of these pictures depict.
I hope you are right!
The visibility in new cars keeps getting worse and worse over the years.

Yep, won't have a J VIN.
The 1st letter is country of origin.

Sounds like it is made at Magna Styer which is in Austra.

So the VIN will likely start with - VB.

Unless its made in Germany then it will be a - W.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Their pricing is baffling. For a few bucks more than the Premium trim, you could buy a GT350, that comes with 526 horsepower, handles very well, and has a manual. Or for less money, you get a Camaro SS with the 1LE handling package, with 455+ hp, etc etc. Aside from the buyers that just want a new Supra, I think they are going to have a hard time with the competition. I'm interested to see the track times when people starting doing comparisons.

trydrew

Suprafied
Authorized Seller
Yeah piratetip, from pics I have seen of the VIN tag it starts with W, such as the one attached from a pre-pro car. I am aware what the J means, and so on... My point was that realizing this thing is cobbled together from a BMW parts bin is like getting your heart ripped out, and seeing that the VIN basically says "I'm a BMW" is like then getting your heart stepped on... You see?

Attachments

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I am copying and pasting my reply from another forum.

In my opinion I think part of the issue is that Toyota did indeed build it for the "fans". The question is which fans? I think majority of the "fans" complaining the loudest remember the Supra, mainly the MK4 not for what it was, but for what it was capable of. Would any of those people be content with a bone stock MK4 back then or today? Probably not. How about a bone stock MK3, MK2, or MK1? I think we all know the answer to that. If the Supra specifically the MK4 never had any aftermarket support, never made any of the crazy power builds, this car would be nothing to anyone and everyone, except those who actually did enjoy the cars for what they were. I think Toyota had to juggle how to please both and that in itself is extremely difficult, because people forget the Japanese economic bubble was really the only reason cars like the Supra, Turbo Z, 3000GT, GTR, RX7, etc came into existence. A day gone by when Japanese manufactures had enough money to blow on R&D and lose on sales.

Pull up to a meet in a bone stock MK4, it might draw a crowd, only to see what is done to it. Once they find out its stock people scatter. If its automatic people run away. No one wants to admit this.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I am copying and pasting my reply from another forum.
Very much agreed. I think the crowd of people that are overly enthused about the mk4 (or mk3) care about potential performance, not as is stock. Those people are also very unlikely to buy brand new cars off the showroom floor (myself included). It's a hard crowd to please, but it's definitely possible to make a successful tuner car from a new sales perspective. Look at the STI or Focus RS.

I think Toyota had an option to partner with BMW and save tens of millions of dollars in R&D and bring back a legendary nameplate. It may have been the right move financially, but nobody has any fun when the accountants make a sports car.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Very much agreed. I think the crowd of people that are overly enthused about the mk4 (or mk3) care about potential performance, not as is stock. Those people are also very unlikely to buy brand new cars off the showroom floor (myself included). It's a hard crowd to please, but it's definitely possible to make a successful tuner car from a new sales perspective. Look at the STI or Focus RS.

I think Toyota had an option to partner with BMW and save tens of millions of dollars in R&D and bring back a legendary nameplate. It may have been the right move financially, but nobody has any fun when the accountants make a sports car.
I agree, at the same time I don't think this car would've come out with the 50K MSRP if Toyota did an all new chassis and engine themselves, not even for 100K MSRP I don't think. Toyota didn't want a repeat of the MK4. They expected to sell 20K cars the first year in '93. They never reached that number the entire time the car was on sale in the US. However at this point, I would rather wait and drive the car before I make an opinion. All the Japanese publications thus far are speaking very highly of it. I believe R&T or C&D cant remember which, have stated the Supra drives better than the Z4. Based on the specs this car should provide a more engaging experience than the MK1, MK2, MK3, and MK4 ever could.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
VIN #1 (20201) just sold for $2.1 Million at Barrett Jackson. I'm in disbelief. The NSX a few years back sold just over $1 Million. I was guessing $500k for the Supra, but the bidding skyrocketed past a million in no time... and then beyond 2 Million. O_O

BA-NAN-AS.

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Most of these first sold vehicles have all the proceeds going to charity. The buyer ends up writing off the cost later when filing for taxes. 2.1 million is a lot yes, but some people have enough cash they dont know what to do with.

The new owner should sign a deal with that Chicago dealership that just bought that MKIV Supra. Put them both on display and watch the proceeds roll in. Sounds like the $100k + they spent on that MKIV Supra already paid for itself for the amount of customers flowing in to see it.

allfans26

Branden K
Authorized Seller
Well the interior turned out to be pretty much as expected.
Everything BMW with a Toyota steering wheel tacked on.
BMW idrive and the shifter, knobs, screen, buttons, everything looks like a BMW.
What a strange mash up.

So much for the driver focused interior of the past.

I am going to coin the term BimmYota for this vehicle.

New

Old

I found a post on Supramkv.com where someone pointed out that a lot of modern cars use the "horizontal" design layout. I'm not too surprised by this since this seems like normal car trends. Someone also said on here that the interior layout reminds them of the Toyota FT-HS concept.

More details here (just scroll down halfway):
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/take-a-look-at-the-interior-of-the-2020-supra.1502/page-7