OEM valve covers

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
What is the "original" color of the valve covers for the 7 M GTE? Didn't have a light gray / charcoal tint or hue to them? I don't think it was plain silver/aluminum color, with red stripes was it? Anyone have a picture??

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Mine were aluminum and orange stripes both of my turbo sets and NA

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I just went to my garage and took a look under the bright fluorescent lighting and the stripes and text are definitely red. It's kind of a tomato-y red. If I shine an LED flashlight on them I get different shades of red at different lighting angles. What I'm calling tomato-y red slides ever so slightly to the yellow side, but definitely not orange. It's not lipstick red or fire engine red.

Color is hard. A significant percentage of men are red/green deficient - that is, they can see red and green, but they're pale. I know I don't have that deficiency.

Red is a hard color, too. It's hard to make a solid red that lasts in sunlight. (...not that the engine bay gets much of that.)

I can only say that today, in my garage, with the lighting that's there, I see the stripes and text as definitely red, but very slightly tomato red. How red they were in 1987 is anyone's guess.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Try and find some old original photos of 7M engines back in the 80's - 90's.
That should tell you.
Or some original marketing documents might have that.

I found a really old photo from 2004 in my historical photo archive.
Probably the first time I pulled the engine.

The red stripes do kind of look orange, but depends on the lighting.

Reactions: debrucer

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
I mainly trying to find out if the OEM valve covers have grey hue or tint to them., I'm not so worried about the red / orange stripe,... Piratetip I see the picture you have posted it's hard to tell about the color of the aluminum whether or not it has a factory hue or not. it looks close though.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah it's factory, probably was the first time that engine was out.
You can see a couple areas on the top where the greyish color is flaking off.
Underneath the paint flaking off is just the natural aluminum finish.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yes, you could argue that they are reddish orange, or orange with a slight red tinge, but to my eye they are orange.
Back in the day we called it "Honda Red". They were definitely orange with any age at all. I had a red Super Hawk (CB77) ended up chroming the who thing and traded it even for a same-year Harley Sportster (XLH).

Off topic? Borderline perhaps. I believe you... it was orange :)

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Yeah it's factory, probably was the first time that engine was out.
You can see a couple areas on the top where the greyish color is flaking off.
Underneath the paint flaking off is just the natural aluminum finish.
Bingo! that is my answer,.. Thank you Piratetip, I thought for sure it did have a grey hue. Your picture confirms it along with what you said, about it being the first time. I'm glad you mentioned the finish flaking off, that helped. Do you know how the finish was done?

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
VERY!!! nice! tooo bad my car doesn't look like that. I see the top pictures are a right hand drive car. I see the valve covers have the greyish tint like I thought. I'd like to make them like that.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Great photos!
That 2nd picture is also a Group A.
You can tell by the larger 3000 pipe. ( I have this exact pipe in hand) :)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
VERY!!! nice! tooo bad my car doesn't look like that. I see the top pictures are a right hand drive car. I see the valve covers have the greyish tint like I thought. I'd like to make them like that.
My car has been Porsche Seal Grey for so long, I'd forgotten that it was originally black. I like a black bay, so I kept up, just touching up a little. That first pic really throws it in my face... F***ing beautiful :) My engine bay will never look OEM again, as much as I might try, certain things disappear for various reasons, like catch cans and standalones Hack. Hack. Hack.... :)

Reactions: Koenigturbo

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
It's more of a champagne/beige colour than grey IMO but ive never seen colours particularly well.
Come to think of it, are the GE and GTE the same base color? Maybe the GTE ones are a bit darker and greyer than im used to seeing...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup there is the original marketing photo.
Colors probably changed over the years due to heat/oxidizing ect...