Notorious M.K.3.

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
This is how my car sits right now:

I bought the car in 1995 and started the modification of the car by lowering it with H&R springs, but the ride height looked stock. LOL. My car needed to be slammed, no exceptions, so I did the smart thing of cutting the H&R springs.

I really didn't get into modifying my Supra until around 2002; so for about 7 years, my car remained stock. The pictures above are basically the only pictures that I took of the Supra between 1995 and 2002.

Last edited:

spiller

Authorized Seller
Love your car mate! I'm not usually one for modified exteriors (other than a set of wheels and some slammage) but everything you've done has a place on the car and ties in with the overall look very well. Have never known someone to rep so many sick sets of rims on the one ride haha. Would love to know more details (about the 2J etc)

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Love your car mate! I'm not usually one for modified exteriors (other than a set of wheels and some slammage) but everything you've done has a place on the car and ties in with the overall look very well. Have never known someone to rep so many sick sets of rims on the one ride haha. Would love to know more details (about the 2J etc)
I had to go through 5 iterations to figure out how I wanted my exterior setup.

#1 bomex lip, sides, rears, whale tail
#2 Greddy bumper, Regulus sides, no rear add-ons, bomex whale tail
#3 Greddy bumper, Kaminari sides, no rear add-ons, bomex whale tail
#4 Greddy bumper, Kaminari sides, Kaminari rear bumper, bomex whale tail
#5 Current setup: Greddy bumper, Abflug sides, Abflug rears, Kaminari 3 piece wing, Stout hood, Ganador side mirrors, rear hatch visor

I had a built 7m prior to the 2j. Boredom and some peer pressure led me to the 2j. My 2j is stock. The only performance and engine related upgrades I have are:

ARP head bolts
550 injectors
All rubber piping replaced with metal pipes
Fidanza light flywheel
Denso fuel pump
Apexi Worldsport exhaust
AEM standalone

I was on sawblades from 1995 to 2000, I had to make up for lost time with wheels. Lol.

Most of the things that I mentioned above evolved over the past 4 years. I have one more plan to evolve the car. For the fun of it, I have named the project: Notorious MK3 F-Version

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Sharing a piece of my Supra history

This is a former car of a good buddy, Sofro. About 13 years ago, a friend invited me to come along to a 1 year old boy's bday part. I didn't know the parents. When I met the kid's father, Sofro, he says to me "I have a Supra too. Wanna see it?" I said, "Yes," with a thought (great, another beat up MKIII). We walked to his garage, then lo and behold, I found this car, which was the catalyst for my desire to have a nice Supra. After seeing Sofro's car, I remember telling a GF, "I'm gonna have the nicest looking MK3 in the city." Good thing Sofro lived 120 miles away and Mike Urbano lived 30 miles away. LOL.

I was in such awe, I was inspired to fix up my car and emulate Sofro. (Prior to the visit to Sofro's son's bday party, I had little interest in fixing up my Supra.)

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Do you have any rough estimate of total build cost to this day?
You have asked the forbidden question, my friend. I could tell you, but then I would have to kill myself because of the ludicrosity. :3d_frown: :naughty: :biglaugh:

Last edited:

mytmk3

Authorized Seller
mate love your car! especialy now I know you've had it for so long and brought it up from stock major respect one day I hope to have mine look as good as yours!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Let me preface this by saying normally I'm not into Mk3 body mods at all in any way shape or form, BUT for this car it's so well done I can put aside my bias :D

I esp :love: it when it has the Black wheels installed!

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Let me preface this by saying normally I'm not into Mk3 body mods at all in any way shape or form, BUT for this car it's so well done I can put aside my bias :D

I esp :love: it when it has the Black wheels installed!
Aero kits are an acquired taste. Glad you like my rendition of an aero'd MK3.

So you like it like this! Thanks for the love, IJ.

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
In 2000, I decided to buy my first set of aftermarket wheels. I wanted the Racing Sparco Viper-R that I saw in the #70 Supra Hyper Rev book :love::

Instead, I bought a jenky set of 18x7.5+38 Konig Toxxin that I saw in a Tire Rack type of ad in a Motor Trend type of magazine. I blame my purchase on ignorance. :nono:

A year after buying the wheels, somehow, I felt that the wheels didn't look right. :dunno: So I started researching wheels and took interest in these wheels:

Fikse FM5

Racing Hart CP-035

Racing Hart Type-C Tracer

Racing Hart Type-C Mesh

In 2002, I finally pulled the trigger and got these:

HRE 545 18x8.5+38 front and 18x9.5+36 rear

HKS_TRD

Authorized Seller
What are the black wheels, I have a bit of a love for black wheels too, its probably why much to most peoples dismay I like the factory JZA70 R 5 spokes just as much as the Work Wheels on mine.

Have you got any more pics of that Kaminari 3 piece wing, I have been considering getting mine custom extended just a little bit, a friend made his alot taller and thats not my style but just a little an deleting the centre post cold work, and yours seems to not be too over the top

BTW, have you decided have you are doing with your speakers?

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
this is the car that inspired mine.

very nice work sir!
Thanks! Everyone needs a source of inspiration, just like Sofro was my source. Your big singled 2J looks like it's coming along well.

What are the black wheels, I have a bit of a love for black wheels too, its probably why much to most peoples dismay I like the factory JZA70 R 5 spokes just as much as the Work Wheels on mine.

Have you got any more pics of that Kaminari 3 piece wing, I have been considering getting mine custom extended just a little bit, a friend made his alot taller and thats not my style but just a little an deleting the centre post cold work, and yours seems to not be too over the top

BTW, have you decided have you are doing with your speakers?

The black wheels on my car are Volk Racing GT-S. Below are more pics of the Kaminari 3 piece spoiler.

xzeror

Authorized Seller
do you have any pics of the interior? just curious :3 and i wanted to know if you are running camber on your wheels and the spec of the wheels i tried looking for it but couldnt find it ><

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
do you have any pics of the interior? just curious :3 and i wanted to know if you are running camber on your wheels and the spec of the wheels i tried looking for it but couldnt find it ><
The suspension is cambering, but I don't know the degree. My car never gets an alignment since I adjust the ride height frequently and I don't daily drive it.

My fenders are flared about 1". The Volk Racing GT-S specs:
front 19x9.5+3, then I added 15mm spacers
rear: 19x10.5+18, then I added 10mm spacers.

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
The Supra hobby took a hiatus from around around 2003 to 2008. I was busy putting this together:

In 2008, after 5 years, I returned to the Supra. Neglected, it looked like this:

The Supra needed a lot of attention and TLC. To start the rehab process, I needed to make sure the car ran properly. Tuning began with the VPC and S-AFC. At 14 lbs of boost, the Supra was able to put down 365 rwhp and 373 lbft torque

Ernie Fixmer, Formula D judge on the left. Jose, aka Kaizen, on the right.
On the driver seat, the tuner, Bisi Ezerioha: professional drag racer, engine builder, tuner,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisi_Ezerioha

Tuning became cumbersome with the VPC and S-AFC. In 2009, the Supra went stand alone.

2 Stepping after the AEM was installed. (Yes..I know: turbo surge. It sounded cool!)

[video=youtube;5CArMx9aidc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CArMx9aidc[/video]

[video=youtube;ZlgC8qWKDRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgC8qWKDRA&NR=1[/video]

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
This car is so clean in pics but its soo much cleaner with your own eyes.

To bad the ssr's got dented i like that look better, but either way its still soo sexy.

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Authorized Seller
Beautiful cars Rodel, what turbo/fuel setup were you running w/the 7m at the time of the dyno? Just out of curiosity..

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
In October 2009, the Supra was sent to Makito of Seven Apple for a complete paint job. I was trying to get it done by SILV. I decided not to go, so I asked him to take his time.

Makito, JDM painter, from Tokyo, Japan

Painted and cleared. No wet sanding and polish:

Makito, JDM painter, from Tokyo, Japan.

Rodel

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Tinted the tail lights

Tinted vs. stock USDM

The body kit made the 18x9.5 HRE 545 look small :thumbdown

The flared fender made the 18x9.5+36 HRE 545 look sunk in
:cry:

Since the HREs 545 wheels look too small and sunk in...the SSR MS1 is the wheel of choice

Hmmm...the 19x9.5+24 SSR MS1 is sunk in as well. :eek3: :1zhelp:

Me and Ken of Shineautoproject trying an add-on fitment

Last edited:

Harley

Authorized Seller
Been following your car for a while now on other forums and what not :)
Looks very good, i remember when i first bought mine i saw yours and so began my current project.
Hope to see/hear some more from it soon and keep up the good work :D

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Paint was finished in January 2009. April 2009, the Supra makes it to its first meet ever, at Socal's Annual Irvine BBQ.

Of all the pictures in this post, I enjoy this shot the most...the Supra looks like it has a chopped top.

"Ghosted" carbon fiber hood

Last edited: