Normal Wiper Speeds?

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Seems like the windshield wiper speeds on my '89 NA are a bit slow, especially on cold days. They also seem kinda weak especially when there's a layer of frost, so I was thinking of replacing the wiper motor. I haven't had the opportunity to compare to other MK3 Supras though, so have uploaded a video. If anyone could check it out and confirm if it seems normal or not, that would be appreciated. Video goes from slowest, to medium, to fastest settings. Thanks.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I don't think those speeds looks too bad in your video especially when you compare how slow the rear blade operates. Do you know what is your current voltage at idle is? Also when you are driving at higher RPM's or highway cruising, do you notice a slightly faster speed?

Reactions: debrucer

A70nut

Authorized Seller
They look normal to what I'm familiar to seeing at least. Don't use the wipers very much though.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
While they still are not as fast as newer cars, they are looking okay to me too at this point. But they really do seem slower when it's really cold and there's a bit of frost on the glass.

Yeah, not sure of the voltage and haven't noticed anything different while driving, but will try to pay attention to that next time.

At this point I probably won't replace the motor, but I am going to do that Camry washer nozzle mod, especially because one of the nozzles broke at the connector plug when I removed it for some cleaning. Those single streams out of the original nozzles do suck anyway.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would also take a look at the ground wires on the wiper motor unit. The grounds are right behind one of the mounting bolts that hold the wiper motor to the firewall. Clean them up and use some dielectric grease for preventive maintenance.

Reactions: sinistar_xx