New engine smokes on decel

rustfarmer

Authorized Seller
I have asked about this before, but finally getting back into trying to solve this. Fresh built turbo engine runs great except when you come to a stop a cloud of oil smoke surrounds the car. I'm wondering if the guy who built the turbo hurt the oil seal? Is there an easy way to diagnose this? I'm also thinking of buying a leak down tester just to insure I didn't break a piston ring (although everything seemed to go together fine and I have no real smoke on accel. Still not sure about PCV possibilities as well. Any helpful diagnostic tips?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
could be valve stem seals.

also did you use silicone on the turbo oil drain seals at all?

rustfarmer

Authorized Seller
I did the valve seals twice just to make sure. Last time I installed them by hand and was pretty sure they were right. Turbo drain stock unit replaced with drift motion braided line. The turbo wastegate linkage was jammed against something when first run and may have made a bit extra boost once or twice, but never over 15psi. Might this have damaged a seal?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
that shouldnt damage the turbo.

but if you siliconed the oil drain flanges on its likely that its blocking the flow pushing oil out of the turbo.

also you can pull the valve cover breather tube off and idle the car and see if smoke comes out the valve covers. if a lot does its blow by.

rustfarmer

Authorized Seller
Did not use silicon, but I will pull the breather tube to check. I think I have checked this but will do so again to make sure. Wouldn't it smoke on accel if blow by? It doesn't. Thanks for your ideas and please feel free if you have others. We were thinking PCV since it doesn't seem to have a PCV valve anywhere.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
There is no pcv valve on the 7m. There is a orfice on the tb and the turbo pulls vacuum as well.