Na-T Or GTE head

Az7mgte

Authorized Seller
So I recently found a 87 supra with a 2jzge already swaped into it it just needs a transmission. But I have a r-154 on stand by. Anyway I want a reliable 300-400hp build. But I'm stuck between a na-t build or putting a gte head on. Just wondering what would be a better route. Thanks

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Gte head is better.

After that the ge pistons are going to be your weak point.

That said you can do na-t but it’s best to lower the compression with a thicker head gasket.

Az7mgte

Authorized Seller
Wouldent the ge pistons hold 400hp? Not looking for too much just a nice street car.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Ya somewhere are there. Will depends on boost level, compression level, and tune.

twin2turbo

Authorized Seller
depends on What GE it is, if its a non vvti block the rotating assembly can handle everything the GTE counterpart can, they're nearly identical. IF it is a vvti, the rods are much weaker and I would not try to build on that block.

As far a head the NA head actually flows more than a GTE head due to the need for better flow in a naturally aspirated engine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
All the gte pistons are forged. Where the ge are not. That and the compression differences are the limiting factor.
And no the gte head out flows all the ge heads. For 2jz. It’s been documented long ago.

twin2turbo

Authorized Seller
All the gte pistons are forged. Where the ge are not. That and the compression differences are the limiting factor.
And no the gte head out flows all the ge heads. For 2jz. It’s been documented long ago.

You physically cannot have the cooling ring that oil passes through in the crown of the piston if it were a forged piston slug. 2jz pistons are Hypereutectic, they are pressure cast. The only way to have the ring inside is casting it in from the beginning.

Compression is far more that piston design as well, both the GE and GTE head have different cylinder head chambers, GTE at around 45cc cc range, GE 48cc, 1jz 42cc. As well as head gasket thickness. The GE and GTE have slightly different crown and valve reliefs that create a different cc aswell.

You're also misinformed about the cylinder heads, theres plenty of data on it. Just by design it makes perfect sense, the naturally aspirated engine is designed to scavenge and flow as best as possible due to it not getting the forced induction.

So no need to patronize me, I've been here along time as well...

I'd love the see the data you have though on forged pistons and GTE outflowing everything.

Az7mgte

Authorized Seller
It's a non vvti. And I'm not to worried about the number if I'm making 300+ im happy I don't want to blow it up but as far as I knew the ge piston should be able to hold that no problem. And I'm probably going to invest in a big turbo on low boost for now so once I can afford a rebuild i dont have to buy a new one.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/supra-head-flow-5m-7m-1jz-2jzge-2jzgte.99476/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/florida-lexus-club/527615-head-flow-results.html

There’s 2 threads for you along with many others.
For one. Your crazy to think Toyota would have spent more money on making a ha head flow better when the turbo head needs more flow. 2. The physical port size is bigger on the gte heads.
3. If the ge pistons were worth anything you wouldn’t blow them out at 400 hp if they were the same as gte making 600-1000.

The rods are different between years gte vs ge vs vvti. Non vvti gte 2jz being the strongest.

Also if the ge head was soooo good then every major 2jz engine builder for the last 20 years would have been using that head. Not the gte head.

It’s not a matter of what is cooler. If the ge head worked better it would have been used. People don’t make 1000+ hp on a gte head because it’s a gte head. They use the gte head because in fact it is better.

You can build a na block stock and lower the compression ration but at very tops for a shorter babied life span tops you will see is 600hp. A stock 1jz will see better hp levels than a na 2jz will ever see.

And I have personally ported a 1jz head farther than either 2jz head.