My TD06-20G Rebuild DIY

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Well my 20G started smoking really bad, and i narrowed it down to the oil seals in the turbo. My BOV started to puke oil everytime it opened so i figure it HAD to be that. Well when removing it this morning removing the lower IC pipe was interesting as about a quart of oil came pouring out onto the pavement. Totally unexpected. So a local Evolution owner told me that these turbos were easy to rebuild yourself and he and others have done it many times. He linked me over to a DSM website with a how-to guide. I decided to give it a go. I was very pleased the turbo has absolutely NO shaft play. These Mitsubishi turbos sure seem to be built tough.

My Work Space

The oil seal in question

Found out its a Superback wheel model (sadly this meant the rebuild kit cost more)

My dad and i took our time marking everything

This is quite and interesting and fun project, quite a learning experience i thought id share my progress with you as i go.
I also think this is a good opportunity to fit my eBay 7psi actuator on this.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
It came with the car when we got it in 07. Had 107K at the time of purchase, had 138K when I pulled it off. I only pushed it to 12psi since im on stock fuel. Previous owners no idea.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
My rebuild kit should be here tomorrow, i picked up some engine assemble lube today. Im having a bit of trouble finding a 3/4" hose that can handle oil. All the transmission cooler hose i find doesnt come that big. Anyone have any suggestion?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Authorized Seller
This is really interesting. I'm curious to see the results since I wouldn't mind freshening up mine.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Well my dad kinda got excited and put most of it back together while i was washing his car.

Here are some pics of the cleaning process

bought a can of carb cleaner to clean off the old varnish and what not.

heat sheild, oil splash sheild, wheel, and comrpessor wheel and shaft cleaned.

After taking a break and washing the cars i came back to find my dad on the floor and this

all it needs now is the exhaust housing back on

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sick dude. I took a couple turbos apart at my work and i was amazed at how easy it was. thought it would have been more complicated but still very interesting at how there designed.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Sick dude. I took a couple turbos apart at my work and i was amazed at how easy it was. thought it would have been more complicated but still very interesting at how there designed.
Yeah theres really not much to them i was surprised myself. I cant wait to get this back on the car. I need to fit my 7psi wastegate to it though. Waiting on my friend with his mig welder.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
All finished just gotta get my universal wastegate fitted and she'll be back on the car.

More pics.

Got it clocked and ready to go getting the wastegate custom fitted in the morning

Just cause i thought it looked nostalgic

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Let me know how she runs.
Everything is back together she is running great! 8psi is booking.

Pics of the re-install

I started taking stuff off the night before

Here we go again....

I think i figured out the secret to getting the CT26 on and off faster. Its so much easier with the elbow off.

all off the 20G goes on much much easier

All done

Setting the boost right now. The wastegate i have fitted opens at 4psi and thats below the efficiency range so im going to run 8 for low 11 for high

crisp

existentialincrementalist
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Great job! Nice write up, too. Doesn't it need dynamically balanced, too? (Or is that only if you change something more than seals...?)

KUDOS for taking on the rebuild over sending it out! (PS: I'd like to leave SEVERAL lingering projects I have laying around for your DAD to come across while I wash MY car sometime!;))

-crisp

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Great job! Nice write up, too. Doesn't it need dynamically balanced, too? (Or is that only if you change something more than seals...?)

KUDOS for taking on the rebuild over sending it out! (PS: I'd like to leave SEVERAL lingering projects I have laying around for your DAD to come across while I wash MY car sometime!;))

-crisp
Its component balanced so no need to rebalance unless something disturbed it or so im told. Just changed the seals, and bearings.

several lingering projects eh? Lend me the keys to your car for a few hours and ill see what we can work out :D

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor

-crisp
Its component balanced so no need to rebalance unless something disturbed it or so im told. Just changed the seals, and bearings.

several lingering projects eh? Lend me the keys to your car for a few hours and ill see what we can work out :D
Most if not all OEM turbo chargers are component balanced. When put together, they go on a VSR balance machine. If they VSR picks up harmonics, most companies toss the unit in the scrap or rework pile and continue on.

With any turbo that has been taken apart, its a good idea to have the components checked for balanced individually, then together as a rotating assembly. This is especially true with any turbo charger that has mileage on it, as turbine fins and compressor wheels will wear over time.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
Authorized Seller
Contributor

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
So 8 years later the turbo needed a rebuild again. I'm not mad considering how long it lasted until it started to burn oil again. However I decided perhaps it was time to bring the old 20G somewhat into the 21st century.

20180811_215649.jpg

8 years and sub 12psi of boost. First time I crank it up to 18-19psi the seal called it quits haha.

So in comes the new wheel

20180804_125505.jpg

20180804_125515.jpg

20180804_125533.jpg

its a billet 20G wheel. According to Kamak, the wheel has a different blade design, taller blades, smaller hub, and extended tapered tips. Supposedly more airflow I guess Ill find out when I re dyno.

I had a local shop rebuild the turbo, they had it done in a day to boot.

20180814_185315.jpg

20180814_185402.jpg

bolting this beauty back on tonight!

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
No not yet unfortunately. I will soon, the billet wheel does make some nice noises though

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
That's good to hear. I remember selling my old Greddy T78 right before they came out with billet upgrade for it. Had I known that someone was working on that I would've kept that turbo.

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
JDMMA70,

Do you have contact info for Kamak? I have two GReddy TDO6L2 20Gs that were in great shape when I removed them 14-years ago, but would like to update them if at all possible. I haven't looked in quite some time but, when I was looking, I was never able to identify a shop that could rebuild these particular GReddy turbos. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Ken.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
JDMMA70,

Do you have contact info for Kamak? I have two GReddy TDO6L2 20Gs that were in great shape when I removed them 14-years ago, but would like to update them if at all possible. I haven't looked in quite some time but, when I was looking, I was never able to identify a shop that could rebuild these particular GReddy turbos. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Ken.
I have two email addresses.

business@kamakdynamics.com
and
service@kinugawaturbo.com

Your compressor side should be identical to mine, the only thing different would be your turbine housing. So any turbocharger rebuild shop familiar with mitsubishi turbos should be familiar with it. 3rd Coast Turbos in Houston rebuild mine 1 day turn around. The only thing I didnt like that they did was clean it and spray the compressor with some aluminum looking exhaust paint. It doesnt look bad and it hasnt flaked, I wouldve preferred it just de-greased and given back to me. Next time Ill be sure to mention it to them. I believe Albert (SupraMania member) is still doing turbo rebuilds. might want to try contacting him as hes closer to you.

As far as upgrade choices go you have a slew of different compressor wheels you can run now. 6+6, 5+5, 7+7, and 11+0. You can opt for extended tips as well. You can also play with the the turbine wheel as well. I didnt change mine so its still the factory 11 blade.

Hope that helps Ken!