My Take on the 2020 Supra

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Whats funny is the new HP numbers are pretty close to what the 2020 Supra was actually making. So how much tuning did they really do other than not lie about the hp output for 2021.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The new 2021 published numbers are now on par with the Z4 M40i with the same engine.

From a press release:

That extra power is thanks to a new dual-branch exhaust manifold that has six ports instead of two. A different piston design allowed the compression ratio to be dropped from 11:1 to 10.2:1, as well.

On top of the extra power, Toyota also re-tuned the chassis by increasing roll resistance by adding aluminum bracing in the engine bay between the strut towers and radiator support, fitting new bump stops and tweaking the damper tuning. Additionally, Toyota re-tuned the electric power steering system, adaptive suspension, stability control and the active differential. Toyota is claiming that the 2021 car is more stable through quick transitions.

Looks like they changed more than just tuning.

The note on adding aluminum bracing is downright hilarious.
There was literally already a slot molded into the intake to allow bracing to be bolted up.
The Z4 already had these components, all they had to do was put in 4 bolts and 2 braces.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
The new 2021 published numbers are now on par with the Z4 M40i with the same engine.

From a press release:

That extra power is thanks to a new dual-branch exhaust manifold that has six ports instead of two. A different piston design allowed the compression ratio to be dropped from 11:1 to 10.2:1, as well.

On top of the extra power, Toyota also re-tuned the chassis by increasing roll resistance by adding aluminum bracing in the engine bay between the strut towers and radiator support, fitting new bump stops and tweaking the damper tuning. Additionally, Toyota re-tuned the electric power steering system, adaptive suspension, stability control and the active differential. Toyota is claiming that the 2021 car is more stable through quick transitions.

Looks like they changed more than just tuning.

The note on adding aluminum bracing is downright hilarious.
There was literally already a slot molded into the intake to allow bracing to be bolted up.
The Z4 already had these components, all they had to do was put in 4 bolts and 2 braces.

Yea its like they already knew they would be adding this stuff but just didn't for the 2020 model. I would be annoyed though if I just bought one with the new exhaust manifold and new piston design. Some people may be upgrading the manifold anyways with a turbo upgrade but im sure most people are not touching the pistons at this point

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The point is the vehicle was designed for the braces originally, Toyota just initially omitted those components for who knows what reason.
Z4 already has the bracing...

Then to come out the next year and say: "re-tuned the chassis by increasing roll resistance by adding aluminum bracing in the engine bay between the strut towers and radiator support"
Like is a new feature they just developed, kind of a slap in the face don't you think?
Do they think no one is noticing what they are doing?