My long-running Supra build thread

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hi, I wrote this first post in someone else's thread and posted before I thought it through. Mostly we try not to do that :(

I had a build thread years ago, and have some static information on the web, but, SupraMania is where I've always landed for info, so let me use this post to drive a stake in the ground. Here's where my '88 is today, as originally posted in response to a topic in someone else's thread....

I am using a T60-1 Turbonetric, HKS down pipe, new stock cat, then the Blitz Nur cat-back. Car long time in the assembly stage, but progress being made. It's been SMOG'ged and I've given away the original stock exhaust... in a tight garage, getting ride of every bit of clutter is progress. The engine and trans are on a mobile stand that I welded, and currently working on other welding projects, getting ready for the actual required job on the Supra. Progress today on the visible stuff, the Supra emblem is finally attached and the nose is bolted back on for the first time in over ten years :)

IMG_1203.jpg

Because it's not the OEM bumper cover the original hardware wasn't usable to attach the nose without some customization. It's secured with 19 bolts and nuts, which is at least twice as many as the entire bumper cover. A local buddy gave me the discontinued Supra emblem badge clip, and with that, everything fell into place.

I've got the original lamps and brackets, and I may put them in temporarily just to complete a look, but, I have some special lamps in mind, and the plan is to build aluminum boxes for them. A new OEM undercover loses attachment points too, leaving the front flapping in the wind, so it gets' cut off. A new undercover will be made and it fits right into the slot around the bumper cover's lip.

The engine sits, waiting for me to finish the valve lash shim dance...

IMG_1243.JPG

Space is so tight, but at least the car is movable these days.. off the stands... exhaust is currently inside the car, as is the turbo and a bunch of other stuff :) I spent a two-week vacation living at the shop this year, and think I have the logistics to master the space shortage figured out :)

I've listened to quite a few videos of Supra sounds, and yeah, I want it to sound good, but at this point, having done so many things over such a long period of time, the sounds I'm worried about now might come from some mistake I made any time over all these years....

If it doesn't knock of otherwise blow gas, I'm pretty sure it will sound fine :)

David

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This car was originally TEMS equipped, but the modules were missing on the front. The computer is in the right rear quarter panel and the wiring harness has the connections for front and rear TEMS modules. Illumina adjustable shocks are installed front and rear.

Recently I obtained a complete TEMS setup, front and rear with the computer, a switch and another module that I don't understand yet.

I've definitely got the Illumina shocks that work with TEMS. They've got the nipple, looks like a tire valve stem, in the center, and the TEMS motor fits right on.

But, there are no studs to secure it on the front.
front-shock-no-studs.JPG

They're are studs on the rear.
rear-shock-with-studs.JPG

Not sure how I got to this point without seeing, and the thought of re-doing the front suspension now makes me sick :(

There's still a lot of work to be done on getting the strut braces, front and rear, installed.

So, that's progress. The caps that came with the front units were red, so I scuffed them up and painted them. That was an appropriately sized piece that I could have powder coated, but I'm getting tired. Here's how they came out, and the general status of the under hood look. I am not taking everything off to paint. The underside of the carbon fiber hood is black, and the original under the hood color was black. Most of the underside of the car had undercoat removed and re-applied.

Even once I get the front shocks drilled and threaded to mount the TEMS, there's a lot of work to be done to install the shock tower support.

Here's a shot of test fit with newly painted black covers. Wires present and attached.
under-hood.JPG
This isn't the last time, of course, until the studs are in place. Without battery power to the car there is no way to set the shocks and TEMS motors to be properly synchronized. So, with that, and the shock tower support to be installed, this is not done by any means.

There's a lot of cutting and trimming going to be required to install the one in the rear, too. That, coupled with the specific sequence you have to remove and re-install the panels, is going to be a logistic PITA.

The harness bar mounts between the top OEM seat belt mounting point. A hole needs to be cut in the triangular shape panel that mounts across the quarter windows. It's cheating to make a slot to fit the panel. It needs to be a circle at the right place. There was a template at one point, but, I've lost it, and can't find anyone who has it.

That's the first interior panel to install. You work your way around until you get to the point where you can put the wooden floor back in, and then you finish the panel installation. It's hard enough just doing that. Now, super-impose cutting holes to mount the shock tower support, with the TEMS still operationally functional.

This is not fun. Sometimes it feels much closer than it actually is.... this is not one of those times... there's a lot of work to be done.

Last edited:

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
I noticed your TEMS covers seemed to be positioned "wrong" compared to how they're oriented on mine. That had me searching through my archive of pics for other MK3 Supras (BaT galleries are the best for this), and it seems mine are the ones in the wrong orientation. I had a feeling, because I recently swapped in some nicer ones, which I placed exactly the way the original was were placed, and I noticed the wiring wasn't long enough to hook into the retaining bracket. When I get a chance to fix the broken wiring on one of them, I will correct them. Although, in a way, it seems like the original position isn't ideal, as it exposes the wiring inward toward the engine and all its heat -- which is probably why the wiring on mine is so brittle at this point.

I'm curious if you went with upgraded '89+ TEMS actuators?

• Wow
Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I noticed your TEMS covers seemed to be positioned "wrong" compared to how they're oriented on mine. That had me searching through my archive of pics for other MK3 Supras (BaT galleries are the best for this), and it seems mine are the ones in the wrong orientation. I had a feeling, because I recently swapped in some nicer ones, which I placed exactly the way the original was were placed, and I noticed the wiring wasn't long enough to hook into the retaining bracket. When I get a chance to fix the broken wiring on one of them, I will correct them. Although, in a way, it seems like the original position isn't ideal, as it exposes the wiring inward toward the engine and all its heat -- which is probably why the wiring on mine is so brittle at this point.

I'm curious if you went with upgraded '89+ TEMS actuators?
The part numbers were right for my ‘88, so I believe not upgraded. The wires were prebent in the wrong direction so I switched the sides such that the wires were pre-bent to meet the clips. That’s interesting though. Glad I got it right :)

Feuerstoss

Authorized Seller
Just saw your thread! Looks like you're making some progress. Kudos for making an effort at keeping TEMS; I was looking into it but decided to go a different route with my build.

Since I saw another recent-ish post from you in an exhaust thread, from what I've heard on YouTube the Nur-Spec should sound amazing. It was a pretty pricey one before it was discontinued; I think they were $700-800 or so? Here's a few sound clips(and an entire Nurburgring run with a 7MGE) that I've found:

(this might not be the Blitz, but I think it sounds pretty similar)
(the Ring run)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
In 1975 I was one of two salesmen at the local Alfa, Ferrari, Triumph, Saab dealer in Annandale, Virginia.

I used to sit in the showroom and dream. One of my dreams was a TEMS-like system applied to my Alfetta GT.

My hobby was tinkering with an RCA game computer that used a 44-pin bus on the case to insert game cartridges. I reverse engineered that bus and spent the next six years building circuits with it, and a computer, before the Tandy TRS-80, that sprawled across my workbench.

Thinking back to what I dreamed of accomplishing, long ago lost along the way, was a suspension system that altered itself as you drive down the road.

I went on and had a family, pursued a career using technology, and never got around to my suspension system.

As with most things, somebody did them without me. In this case, Toyota did, 13 years later.

I want to see how well it does, thirty years later,

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Painting those caps on the TEMS was a waste of time since I can’t use them with the shock tower brace

CB25FD4A-1B91-4276-B3BA-35DA6F29C666.jpeg 6496D0AD-7F45-4F42-8A21-4AEDCF07638F.jpeg

I see now that my TMS harness bar was discontinued because it’s potentially dangerous. If I weld it in place it will never come out again. Oh well.

D6071896-6836-4C91-BB1E-4F146CD932B2.jpeg

Carpet is going in and it sure is hard to get it right. The four seat belt points under the front seats for attaching the anti-submarine belts (6-point harness) are welded in... and I haven’t cut slots in the carpet correctly yet. The belts each have 5 adjustment points to handle drivers from 5’9” to 6’ 2”. Those belts need to be 90 degrees from the floor and tilted back no more than 10.

I also need to route the battery and stereo cables before tucking in the carpet to the door panels. This will include some fabrication to mount the amplified and battery (which are both where the rear seats used to be :)

I have templates for mounting two or three 7" touchscreens in the dash, but, as with the ECU, I will start with a stock cluster until I get it running. There's still a bit of work to do here... and on the engine front cover and cam. My crank has 12 and 36-1 trigger wheels, and the CPS is getting it's guts replaced. My plan is run first, and then switch in those two mods (electronic dash and Speeduino)

What else recently?

0EBF7477-5D28-4FC4-A2D8-06B700D220B7.jpeg

I was going to run on the stand and I think most people put the harness on the engine before installing.

I want to get it set in the car so I can switch to my Speeduino easily.

Mode later. Phone battery ran low and PC uploads need extra handling to shrink photo size. I'll upload more when the battery is back :)

Stay well. Stay safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: figgie

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Hey no engine under that hood yet!
:)

Those TEMS actuators are a very very tight fit under that strut bar.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey no engine under that hood yet!
:)

Those TEMS actuators are a very very tight fit under that strut bar.
They are. Must loosen the bolts to slip them in... and it obviously has to come out for the engine to go back, but, I want to test fit them and now will fix the wires... get rid of what's there and put something sleek in place. Too bad that the fit isn't so tight that they don't need the missing attachments. I will have to fabricate something for that, too.

Clarification: They are not anchored to the struct since there are no studs to secure them to... right now they freely turn within the struck bracket.