My Emanage ultimate maps, wiring diagram, parameter setting for lexus AFM

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
I don't know if this forum is still visited, i've been out of the Supra world for 3 years and just got inspired to pick up the project again. I've got a rough tune on my car with emanage ultimate and it actually drives pretty well. I'm sharing my settings an map. Anyone should be aware that the tuning is entirely particular to each car and build, but still this will maybe save someone time troubleshooting Emanage Ultimate setups in the future.

My build: Lexus afm with trim screw all the way in to limit air bypass to about 2/3 of the possible area. 660 RC injectors. Modified CT26 turbo with wastegate moderately shimmed and wastegate actuation hose blocked. Largest avail plate intercooler. head port, cams, 1mm overbore, 8.6 compression ratio, 3 inch exhaust, sl ported stock exhaust manifold. fuel pressure 34 at 1200 rpm idle.

My approach: I set injectors to 550cc before, 660 cc after, figuring I was increasing from a classic, roughly balanced lexus afm/550cc build. Then i started an A/F frequency map to modify the signal from my Karman AFM to keep fuel trim in the middle at all rpms. I found I needed to increase reported air flow substantially to get a good start an stoic at no load across the rpm range. Then I drove it while data logging and found that it worked best under load at about 22% increased Karman Hz reporting to the stock ECU. I tweaked it a bit more to decrease richness when suddenly reving with no load. then i took the area where the stock ECU code showed maxium spark advance, figuring that was where fuel cut was most likely. In that area I took the map to zero, with smoothing in transition regions, which i sculpted manually. Finally, I cut out that same predicted fuel cut area from the high rpm/high airflow quadrant and pasted it to a fresh injector trim map. Subtract 22 from each cell, invert sign, and the injector trim map reverses the areal of the AFM signal map that was modified to avoid fuel cut. There was no guarantee that the injector trim and AFM maps would scale the same,but it seemed to work.

So now I have kept the stock feel of the car under normal driving, and under hard boost fuel cut is avoided, power is good and it feels pretty smooth. I was actually shocked how well it drove. I have to check AF logging before I really step on it, to be sure it's safe to drive, and then get a proper dyno tune, but it's a good start, right? I believe my problem with idle is fuel pressure. I recall years ago having trouble getting the car to idle with these injectors until i boosted fuel pressure to 40, so I have to test that, and maybe adjust accordingly. I don't know if nonlinearity is a problem with the RC injectors at short opening times with low fuel pressure, curious if that is a thing?

Here is the link to my google drive with my wiring diagram, emanage settings, plus a spreadsheet of the actual maps I am using. Idle is still rough, but it starts, above 1500 rpm it runs pretty well, with some glitches i need to work out on a dyno:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxPTfhLmSbNwdFQ3bEdpVm5SeHM?usp=sharing

Very interested in feedback/suggestions. This is my first build and first attempt at tuning.

Last edited:

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
Damn,guess this map won't get finished. Head gasket didn't seal. Back to basics for winter. All I can say is the parameters are good and it starts, but the map hasn't been tuned on the Dyno and shouldn't be used on another car anyway. Just want to post the disclaimer since I won't be back to this for a while.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
What is the pulse width on the RC injectors compared to stock?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
FYI there really isn't a base map on the Emanage because you use the stock ECU and then adjust for your car settings.

I have ALOT of usage on the emanage there are a few ways to achieve what you are looking to do.

Changing the Injector size in the settings will scale the map and screw around with the HZ from the AFM.

This is very similar to the S-AFC, one of the MORE important features for the emanage is the ability to add duration or duty cycle to the injectors directly. Blue can only add, ultimate can remove.

Using this feature makes your tune better as you are not scaling and messing with timing. There are a few things you can do to help tune open loop as well. Disconnecting the stock 02 sensor and tuning for a near 14.7 out of boost should help the stock computer keep you in a good place. Tuning closed loop or WOT areas is easy, just add MS until your around 11.3 - 11.8 (is where I like to be). For FCO, you should be logging the diff situations on what load you are at when you hit FCO. Usually, 1525-1550 is where you'll see FCO on the AFM if I remember correctly, but again the higher RPM allows for a little more hz, and the lower RPM with like 1400HZ you'll hit FCO.

I noticed that you didn't wire up the Ignition for the Emanage, following this you should be able to add timing to via the emanage.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/zazzn/pics/emanage/

Last edited:

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
wow, forgot this thread. I dropped out after diagnosing BHG and missed the good advice. Im back in business with a lapped block. I put in actual injector values, found the injector lag values are critical, and tuned warm idle to 14.7 using the afm calibration screw with afm connector removed. then added back afm connection and it cleaned up the idle with fuel trim signal in the middle range. that was enough to start and run pretty well to FCO. i added afm signal reduction up to 40%at high rpm and air flow in the fuel cut range, and equal injector fuel increase and it runs without boost cut but runs too lean, about 13.5 at max boost. plan to delete EFI resistors on my high impedence RCs and update injector latency and afm calibration, then rich up the high load regions, then add ignition retardation, then look for a good JDM tuner in Detroit, LOLZ.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
wow, forgot this thread. I dropped out after diagnosing BHG and missed the good advice. Im back in business with a lapped block. I put in actual injector values, found the injector lag values are critical, and tuned warm idle to 14.7 using the afm calibration screw with afm connector removed. then added back afm connection and it cleaned up the idle with fuel trim signal in the middle range. that was enough to start and run pretty well to FCO. i added afm signal reduction up to 40%at high rpm and air flow in the fuel cut range, and equal injector fuel increase and it runs without boost cut but runs too lean, about 13.5 at max boost. plan to delete EFI resistors on my high impedence RCs and update injector latency and afm calibration, then rich up the high load regions, then add ignition retardation, then look for a good JDM tuner in Detroit, LOLZ.
Welcome back! Definitely, please, post more often as you work on this and get it right :) I'm still months behind this stage, but, learning from posts like this :) Thanks!

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
Thanks! Update, trsted my injectors resistance. i have low impedence 660s, so no resistor delete needed. Sidetracked to TEMS system, which I'm installing for nostalgia. I have a late 89 car, which means the wiring should be there. Mostly is, but need to find kick panel connectors. Back to EMU soon.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Well, if you need any Emanage advice, I'm the guy... I think I'm one of the few that still use it.. I even got it to do e85 blending on the ultimate lol...

Very basic version of it but works for the most part. I'm going to use my Tems buttons for activation of other things like high boost and low boost, or some other cool things that I can think of ;)

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
That's a cool idea to use tems buttons. i honestly haven't decided on my interior controls design. So far the Emanage Unit is doing what i tell it to. the challenge is more studying the TCCS code to make sure i know what it is doing so the units don't work against each other. Im ready to try the self programming map function. i was going to try it on MAP 2 to fine tune the outpot. Have you tried using that feature? Keep getting warnings that i will blow up my engine using EMU. do you think it is an especially failure prone setup? Another question, Does EMU expect high or low impedance injectirs, does it send a peak and hold signal, or does it just pass through the waveform from TCCS and cut it short or extend it? Those are my thorny problems. i can watch the output and try to sort it out, but im not expert enough to know what I'm seeing with confidence. Nice to meet a other EMU user!

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Map two only works for a second airflow source and allows you to blend the maps. I use map 2 for my E85 blending. It's complicated, but I posted up about how to do it somewhere in the supraforums and exactly what I did https://www.supraforums.com/threads/e-manage-ultimate-guide-to-flex-fuel-blending.1113165/

As for warnings I'm not sure what you mean people are warning you or the EMU? If people ignore them they are idiots and don't know what they are doing just sheep crying wolf. Like ANY EMS you can blow up your car quickly if you change values that you don't know what you are doing.
That being said, EMU only adjusts what the stock computer is doing already, and there are limitations of course. It's pretty well outlined in the manual how much you can adjust fuel and timing maps.

Unlike other piggyback, the emanage has the ability to actually inject more fuel to the pulse width of the stock computer instead of tricking the stock computer to run higher pulse widths because it thinks it's seeing more air than it is or vice versa. Unlike the Ecumaster det3 you can't go full Monty and just completely change the values to whatever you want. You can only add or remove from the values up to a specific amount.

Emanage and stock ecu wants high impedance injectors, using a resistor box (on stock injectors) are needed still. If you swap to high imp injectors then you can ditch the resister box.

Truthfully, I wish the emanage or any other standalone had a record mode where you could record the factory ecu fueling strategy and timing so you could use that to build a map on a standalone to make tuning easy and have a good base map to work with. (basically what the emanage does)

This being said, I always found that timing was never recorded correctly on a 2jz. It would work then it would go haywire.

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
thanks for that knowledge dump. A few tidbits i didn't know, and validation of a lot of what i was guessing. I will play with map2 to verify. certainly makes sense what you are saying.

It actually does log the stock ECU output. you just have to read the data off the logger and make your own table. a bit tedious, but a little jockeying with the output file and i bet it could be mapped automatically. I think 3p has translated the maps in the sock ecu memory. i can extract the raw data for map shape from the code, but I think 3p has the conversion to standard units.