Mobil 1 ATF in Power Steering

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I have a quick question about using Mobil 1 ATF in the power steering system of my Supra. Everyone seems to recommend it, but I just want to make sure it is ok to use on an original rack and pump that have not been rebuilt or replaced but only have 83k miles. A lot of the threads where people were using it also had rebuilt pumps and racks. I just bought a Magnefine filter that I am planning to install when I change the fluid soon. Right now the system has regular Valvoline Dexron, and it doesn't have any leaks beside the return line fittings, but I am replacing those anyway. I would like to switch to the synthetic because of the higher resistance to heat and such, but I don't want to mess up my system by doing so.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It'll be fine. Flush a bit through it first. All the PS stuff on my car lasted over 22 years running that fluid and filter setup. Nuff said. And congrats for spelling Dexron correctly...

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
It'll be fine. Flush a bit through it first. All the PS stuff on my car lasted over 22 years running that fluid and filter setup. Nuff said. And congrats for spelling Dexron correctly...
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be causing any leaks or anything. I decided to get a Magnefine filter because of you mentioning it in other threads. I never understood why people say Dextron instead of Dexron, its not hard to read the bottle...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be causing any leaks or anything. I decided to get a Magnefine filter because of you mentioning it in other threads. I never understood why people say Dextron instead of Dexron, its not hard to read the bottle...
Because they're retarded ;)

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I picked up some of the Mobil 1 stuff today. I'm not sure when I will get to installing the filter and flushing the system but hopefully it will be soon. I'll post the results back here when I get it done.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
Today I did this. I replaced the hose from the pump to the reservoir, and the hose from the cooler to the reservoir. I tried to replace the hose from the rack to the cooler, but I couldn't get the one hose clamp off (it was facing the inner fender) and decided to just leave it since it wasn't leaking. I had to clean out the reservoir also. The screen wasn't too bad, but there was a layer of sludge on the bottom of it that was probably 2-3 mm thick. I went through 3.5 cans of brake cleaner just getting the reservoir clean...

I used constant tension clamps all around, and put the Magnefine right below the AFM. Then I flushed the system out with the Mobil 1 ATF (I bought 5 quarts, used about 3.5), bled the system, and went for a nice test drive. No leaks so far, everything seems good. The only thing I still need to do is take the car to one of those spray wash places and get all the ATF off that I spilled everywhere when I pulled the old hose off the pump.

I will try and get pictures some time this week. When I saw the air filter today I realized that I need to change it so I will try and take some pictures when I do that.

Thanks, JetJock, for the help in this thread and the older threads about the filters, you are definitely one of the most helpful members on here.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ge didn't misspell He though :D
Lmao. D'oh!

Thanks, JetJock, for the help in this thread and the older threads about the filters, you are definitely one of the most helpful members on here.
I missed this until now but you're welcome. That setup should result in years of trouble free service. For sure your days of cleaning the suction screen are over.

normal atf will work fine! i never dot crap, plus it seems to run much smoother with Dextron atf.
Because they're retarded
Or Floridians. Oh wait...

TurboJoe

Authorized Seller
Sorry, but which Mobil ATF fluid did you use? I am having a problem with my buddies power steering to even work and I wanted to completely flush it and put good stuff in.

What do you guys recommend? I've read not to use Dexron III, VI, and everything else. I'd do D II but that's stuffs non-existent!

Thanks,

Joe