Mo Boost, Mo Power, Mo 7m : 87 Turbo Supra 7mGTE Full Rebuild + Manual Conver + More

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sounds great Ryon!

How much does SP charge for tuning there?

Also how is that Diff holding up for you?
Thanks. To be honest I would give them a call because the price can vary depending on how things are set up or if they run into problems. I know it was $175 a hour for the first 3 tuning hours and then after that the price drops quite a bit. For me tuning was not a issue, it was those t-clamps causing multiple boost leaks as well as blowing off a coupler the first pull and a wastegate that was stuck closed so they only charged me shop time when they addressed those issues. Also if you want a e85 tune that is a separate cost.

The diff is good, I will be getting ready to swap it over to my other Supra here soon along with the rest of the drivetrain, some suspension parts, fuel lines and interior.

SpecialK

Authorized Seller
Nice to see a build thread wit lot of pictures that actually work!
What happened to the tach?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Tach likely does not have an input from the stock igniter anymore.

He is running an aftermarket ECU now.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice to see a build thread wit lot of pictures that actually work!
What happened to the tach?
Thanks SpecialK. Yes Piratetip is correct. I am no longer running the stock igniter but the ECU Masters standalone does have a tach output. I just need to find the tach signal wire on the body plug which I was messing around with one day but I could not get it working at that time.

SpecialK

Authorized Seller
Yes. Mine works with ECU master. The tach output is connected to the #4pin on the M1 connector. Should be a black wire. 20181006_062408.jpg

Reactions: plaaya69

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks SpecialK. I did try that one black wire a few months ago but for some reason it never worked. I even made sure it had the right output configured but I need to look back into it soon because it would be nice to have a working RPM gauge lol.

SeeUSmile

Authorized Seller
Hey just out of curiosity, I didn't notice in the receipts of any line honing for the main caps, and you had ARP main studs installed. Just wanted to know whether a line hone was done or not. If not though, perhaps we can get away with using ARP main studs w/o a line hone?

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey just out of curiosity, I didn't notice in the receipts of any line honing for the main caps, and you had ARP main studs installed. Just wanted to know whether a line hone was done or not. If not though, perhaps we can get away with using ARP main studs w/o a line hone?
I have not had any issues with my main caps or main bearings and I did not do a line hone. I suggest you double measure everything and check your tolerances either way you decide with ARP hardware or OEM main bolts to see if one is needed or not.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Just wanted to stop back in for a update on things. Both Supra's are in the garage over the winter and I have been transferring parts my 87 to the new 86.5. I started with the gray interior transfer:

The old 87 interior looking naked:

Got the junkyard r154 rebuilt locally with the DM rebuild kit. Have not drove it yet but the shifts feel very solid:

Out with the old:

Started to work on the wheel wells. Wire brushed any small rust spots, applied primer, painted it then undercoated all wheel wells. New r1 Concepts brake rotors/pads/parking brake shoes. Next I transferred over my GoodRidge SS brake lines and Haynes rebuilt brake calipers from around 2007 which are still in excellent condition but a fresh coat of caliper paint helps too. TEIN coilovers are also installed but I sure will miss my factory TEMS :'(

Made replacement front bumper side brackets as the original ones were shot, much stronger now.

Transferred over the yellow fogs and clear turn signals. I did want to keep the original orange turn signals but I think the clear ones look much better.

Pulling the 7mGE motor. Upon further inspection this is a JDM replacement motor because the factory EGR plate is installed and the driver side heater core block pipe is capped off:

JISupra88

Authorized Seller
Hey i'm located in Aurora, IL and was wondering if you would recommend the shop that did your machine work? I'm looking to bore/hone a block for pistons and misc. things.

Also how has the ishino gasket set held up? I'm assuming the headgasket was also from this set?

Great build thread so far btw. I'm looking to do lots of the same mods to make a reliable 7m so your thread is very helpful.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey i'm located in Aurora, IL and was wondering if you would recommend the shop that did your machine work? I'm looking to bore/hone a block for pistons and misc. things.

Also how has the ishino gasket set held up? I'm assuming the headgasket was also from this set?

Great build thread so far btw. I'm looking to do lots of the same mods to make a reliable 7m so your thread is very helpful.
Hey JISupra88,

PM sent.

The Ishino (also called Stone) gasket set is perfect. From what I was told before, this is the same OEM gasket set you would have gotten from Toyota and mine even had the Toyota part number on it even though I ordered it from Partstrain. It did not come with a EGR cooler gasket and I used a Cometic metal headgasket for my build but the headgasket that came with the kit looked very good but I sold it.

Thanks, I try to share as much information as I can to inspire others with their builds. I can't wait for this weather to warm up to finish up some more things.

Last edited:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
More updates to the build:

I been prepping the engine bay on the 86.5 Supra. Cleaning all brackets, brake booster or anything else that needs to look fresh again. I also installed SuperPro steering rack bushings:

Working on the rear of the Supra I found that one of the parking brake cables were torn and seized up so I changed both of the rear parking brake cables. I also changed all the parking brake hardware with a kit from Napa from a 96 Supra which fit perfect:

I also installed some Battle Version toe links but I got the traction and camber links going in soon. New ST swaybars and adjustable endlinks help complete the package:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
We just got in a 89 Cressida in my local junkyard with the 7mGE motor and I was able to pull the complete cylinder head from it for $40 which is not to bad (even under 2 hours which I think is a record for me lol). I am doing some work to this cylinder head and installing it on my built motor but I keeping my original JDM 7mGTE cylinder head in the parts storage cabinet for now.

On to the Zulu mod for the cooling passages:

On to the ARP head bolt insert mod. My local machine shop was not able to do the insert mod but I found another local machine/tool shop that was able to ream and install the ARP inserts for this mod for $120 and in about a hour turnaround too. I am running ARP head studs/ ARP assembly lube with this cylinder head and in all passes of torquing down the head bolts, it did feel more precise along the way to the final torque of 90 ft.lbs. I will be doing the re-torque later and post back findings:

Cleaning up the blue mess my Gates timing belt made even with less than 2k miles. Even from day one the eraser like blue material on it I never liked and I will never run one of those timing belts again, only OEM Toyota ones from now on:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Working on the rear Suspension and got all 3 sets of Battle Version arms installed, I need a alignment asap:

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Good progress! I'm always happy to see new components still available for these cars.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I decided to rebuild the SP6262 bolt-on turbo. I did originally buy this turbo used from a member here but I did want to rebuild it eventually so I am glad I did now. You can see the it was starting to leak oil from the rear seal and one of the thrust bearings had a hairline crack in it. The new turbo rebuild kit from turbo lab of America has a improved design on some of these parts and everything went smooth during the install. The turbo also seems to spin easier after the rebuild too:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks Piratetip.

I been working on the valve covers. I was going to weld in an10 fittings but no one local seems like they wanted to take on the job so I ended up buying a tap and drill bit set from Home Depot and began threading the valve covers:

Put the final touch on the clear timing cover ;)

Cleaning up everything and gave it its first car wash since it has been on the road:

Registered the Supra for it's first local car show and won 2nd place for best import. 1st place was a beautiful fully built twin turbo VR4 with 28k miles in mint condition right next to mine:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Dude you won even with sawblades ! HAHA nice. :cool:

I wish my car exterior was that clean, mine only looks good from about 20 feet +.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice man! Looks good, we need to do a cruise soon.
Most definitely, it feels like ages since the last time I had a nice Supra cruise and nothing beats the sound of a herd of inline 6 motors on the highway or around town. I am currently helping my friend rebuild his 87 he picked up this year with a rod knock, the person who is taking my 87 shell is suppose to be doing a 2jz swap and body work (but that will take some time), last week I ran into a shop owner from Kenosha (even has a mk3 Supra on his shop business card) who is also working on his 88 plus I know two other locals with a 88 and a 84 who might be down for a cruise.

I wish my car exterior was that clean, mine only looks good from about 20 feet +.
lol, the sawblades I think were the main attraction. That is on my list to take care of the rust that is starting in a very few small spots but overall it is nice to have a Supra in good condition, even the other 87 Supra has been good to me all these years with daily driving it for like 5 years.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
AWESOME!!! Seems like these Supras are popular up by you, I see a ton of people on here in the northern burbs, not much out west here. It would be great to get a herd together

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
AWESOME!!! Seems like these Supras are popular up by you, I see a ton of people on here in the northern burbs, not much out west here. It would be great to get a herd together
I really hope we can make that happen this year. How has everything with your Supra been coming along?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Good, ive got it running good with the hx35 @ 10psi. Ill be installing the DET3 any day, I just received a new connector for it today. Then a visit is due to SP for a tune

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sweet, you will like the work that SP does as they know their stuff especially Supra stuff. Keep us posted on how the tune does.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller

I love the sawblades, will never give mine up!

After seeing the comparison I think your car should have won 1st!

Also, glad to see that Toyota timing belt is working out :) The blue dust pic was a bummer, my OCD would have gone into overdrive cleaning it up.

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
How do you like that SP 6262 bolt on? How did it feel on pump gas and low boost vs high boost? What's low RPM power like/when does it start building boost? If I remember right, 24 PSI is just getting into the efficiency range of that wheel.

It looks like a great option, I'm just curious if their smaller wheels might be a better option for somebody with less power than you're putting down, mainly due to lag.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I love the sawblades, will never give mine up!

After seeing the comparison I think your car should have won 1st!

Also, glad to see that Toyota timing belt is working out :) The blue dust pic was a bummer, my OCD would have gone into overdrive cleaning it up.
Thanks. My OCD did go into overdrive cleaning it up lol. That blue mess ended up in all the small places you would never expect it to be.

How do you like that SP 6262 bolt on? How did it feel on pump gas and low boost vs high boost? What's low RPM power like/when does it start building boost? If I remember right, 24 PSI is just getting into the efficiency range of that wheel.

It looks like a great option, I'm just curious if their smaller wheels might be a better option for somebody with less power than you're putting down, mainly due to lag.
I really like this turbo a lot and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a upgrade past the upgraded ct-26. With the tunes that I have had on 366whp and 450whp on pump gas which both were very fun but I will say once you get a taste of that 540whp on e85 you don't really want anything less now. I still keep the boost in the mid range for most normal driving and I do not seem to have any problem with lag. Around 2.8k ish RPM's its building boost and once over 19 psi it comes on very hard. I am also running BC 264 cams and with this turbo I noticed a big difference once those cams were in stalled in mid-range power vs the factory camshafts. I do plan on uploading some more Supra videos to my YT channel soon.

What is your power goal for your build?

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Got the 4 lower rear bushings installed. I ordered OEM Toyota ones (2x 42210-14010 and 2x 48725-14040). Those original ones did have some wear on them but the new ones did get rid of a light clunking sound I had in the rear during acceleration and slowing down. I knew these bushings would be a pain in the #%* so I decided to take it to a local shop. Sitting outside in a folding chair (popcorn on standby) watching it all get done and about 3 hours later, I knew they would have a fun time with this one lol. They used a induction heat tool on the last bushing and that helped with a air hammer:

The rear end of this Supra just needs the poly subframe bushings and upper control arm bushings but as it is now, the rear end is super responsive and feels amazing on the road. Got it scheduled for the lifetime alignment with Firestone next week.

Reactions: Z06gette

JISupra88

Authorized Seller
could you disclose the name of machine shop that did the arp inserts? I'm also looking to get that done to my cylinder head when it comes off