Mo Boost, Mo Power, Mo 7m : 87 Turbo Supra 7mGTE Full Rebuild + Manual Conver + More

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey everyone,

Its been a while since I made a build thread (cough http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81005 cough) but the Supra has been a great daily driver since I did all the proper maintenance from back then. I have been hoping for something to go wrong with the original 7mGTE motor to kick off my JDM 7mGTE motor rebuild with 31k I got in 2007 sitting in the garage but no luck with that if that makes any sense. In early of 2017 I was able to find a great deal on a non running turbo manual Supra for less than the cost of a r154 manual transmission by itself so with that purchase the ball started rolling to get this rebuild going on my 87 turbo Supra. Overall the 7m I wanted is a very reliable motor with no short cuts or cheap parts put in and a power goal of between 500 to 600 whp on e85.

The current status of things as of today. The Supra is in the garage for the winter. Everything is broken in on the rebuilt motor with no problems at all and it has around 1k miles on it but everything is just at OEM power levels with all the factory parts/electronics. I still need to install the 1200cc fuel injectors, ECU Masters standalone and redo the whole engine harness with new wiring so then I can get it dyno tuned at Sound Performance.

I would also like to personally thank everyone today to over the last 10 years for all the great information this site has provided, the part sellers in the classifieds section, the build threads and those who have shared their mistakes with us to learn from. Without all this, I know this build would not have turned out as amazing as it has so far.

Engine Parts:

Ishino gasket set
AZ Performance oil pump hard line
BC 264 camshafts
COMP 975 valve springs
Sound Performance Precision 6262 bolt-on turbo
Gates Racing timing belt + KOYO timing belt tensioner
clear timing cover
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
Fidanza cam gear set
Remain A1-Cardone CPS unit
CPS cover
Cps magnet mod
Gates coolant hose set
Eagle rods w/ARP bolts
Wisco pistons
AZ Performance EGR block-off plate set
7m heater outlet pipe kit
Clevite bearing set
polyurethane motor mounts
HKS SSQV BOV
Drift Motion intercooler kit
oil catch can
oil pump
Thermostat
Water Pump

Fuel & Electronics:

ECU Masters standalone
AEM air/fuel gauge + wide-band
Ethanol content sensor
Marshall fuel pressure gauge
1200cc Precision fuel injectors
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 450 (F90000274) fuel pump
Magna fuel filter
GM intake air temp sensor
Blue Sea 5045 fuse block holder
31' of AN6 PTFE stainless steel fuel line
AN6 fittings x28
Acura Legend fuel injector resistor box
2jz DH61 igniter
2jz Denso coils
2jz NGK spark plug wires

Transmission & Drivetrain:

Clutch Master FX400 clutch kit
rebuilt differential
Shaft Masters aluminum driveshaft
stainless steel clutch line
ARP flywheel bolts
lightweight steel flywheel
slave cylinder
clutch fork
throwout bearing
pilot bearing
master cylinder
OEM shifter
shift boot
lower speedo cable

Suspension & Steering:

outer tie rod set
power steering filter
power steering pump rebuild kit
power steering belt
Energy sway bar bushing set
remain rack & pinion

Now let's get the pictures rolling 56k beware (for the old members that remember that:evil2:).

Pictures of the JDM motor it is original state:

Most of the motor parts going in:naughty::

Cleaning, preparing and painting some parts:

Modded the J Tube plate and removed that restrictive pipe:

Comparing my old long gone 87 BHG to the BHG on the JDM motor to the metal head gasket:

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Re: Mo Boost, Mo Power, Mo 7m : 87 Turbo Supra 7mGTE Full Rebuild + Manual Conver + M

Getting the cylinder head back from the machine shop:

Custom made valve keeper removal PVC pipe with magnet lol :

More cylinder head disassembly:

A mild polish on the cylinder head:

Using Helicoil's on all 7 exhaust studs:

Cleaning and lapping the OEM valves:

New COMP valve springs ready to go in:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Re: Mo Boost, Mo Power, Mo 7m : 87 Turbo Supra 7mGTE Full Rebuild + Manual Conver + M

Reassembling the cylinder head:

Valve shim clearance:

Cam gears are the final touch to the cylinder head:

Comparing the SP 6262 Precision Turbo to the OEM turbo:

Test fitting the SP turbo on my parts car motor:

Power steering pump rebuild:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Test fitting the 1200cc Precision Turbo fuel Injectors:

The lower block is back from the machine shop:

The machine shop painted the block for me but I wanted to touch up some black spots and use clear coat on everything:

Time to start the lower block assembly with some Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons:

Wiseco installation information:

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

The lower block assembly is coming together nicely:

New shimmed AISIN oil pump:

Now ready for the head gasket and cylinder head:

Heater valve upgrade. Just had to sand down the two inner ribs on both ends:

New rack and pinion installed with new tie rods:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Original motor is out. Before and after cleaning:

Motor is now ready to drop in:

Motor is now installed:

Comparing real HKS bov to knock off bov:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Removing the OEM intercooler:

DriftMotion intercooler install:

Removing, cleaning and painting gas tank:

New an6 fuel fittings, e85 fuel filter, Walbro 450, fuel lines made and tested at 3x the pressure they will normally run:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Getting the motor ready for the first start:

Testing and installing the GS300 coil mod:

After 1k miles on the motor, I removed the OEM camshafts installed a set of BC 264 camshafts and set the valve shim clearance after about 100 miles of running with them installed:

On to some interior mods

Removed the factory boost gauge and installed a 12v battery gauge. Also converted the automatic RPM gauge to a manual RPM gauge with the turbo circuit board behind it:

Got the 89+ cup holder installed:

Installed a passenger floor light and modded the driverside so it is brighter as well and both take a 194 bulb. Both bulb housings are from a 2000's VW trunk light:

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Changed the OEM rear speakers to OEM Pioneer speakers from 1998 Lexus LS400:

Reupholstered the armrest and bought a new shifter boot, ebrake cover and a OEM shifter:

On to some exterior mods

Removed the old rusty fog lights. Bought new used ones, clear coated them and put new yellow LED bulbs.

Had to put another rear visor on as my old one broke in half as it flew off through the dry cycle at the automatic car wash. No automatic car washes again lol:

Was waiting on parts at the time so I put one of my gs300 wheels on the Supra just to see how it looks:

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Some pictures of the drivetrain conversion

Some pictures of the differential rebuild. Thanks again Piratetip for a awesome job:

Installing the differential:

New Shaft Masters aluminum r154 drivehsaft in the middle compared to OEM on the bottom and my Shaft Masters aluminum turbo automatic driveshaft on top:

Comparing the Clutch Masters FX400 to OEM:

New Drift Motion SS clutch line, lightweight steel flywheel, clutch hub assembly and fork:

Cleaned, painted and installed the pedals. Used a nickel to replace that rubber stop as they are usually worn out and ready to fall apart.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Authorized Seller

Looking good!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

So Many Pictures! Love it!

wisetechscottt

Authorized Seller

Looking good!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Thanks everyone. I know it's refreshing not to see that Photo Bucket hosting error as Imgur just got a new member lol.

Next, I will be testing that Drift Motion CPS magnetic mod to see if any difference is made and posting the results on here which should be this weekend if I get the package in the mail. I will be testing it on my new remain A1-Cardone CPS unit and a old CPS unit I have in my parts box. Very curious how it will turn out on both.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller

Very nice build thread. Just curious where you got the OEM shift knob?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

Available new from Toyota Japan, as far as I know. I recently got a quote from these guys: JP-Carparts.com. It was right around $100 shipped. I wanted the TRD one, but may settle for a new OEM.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller

Available new from Toyota Japan, as far as I know. I recently got a quote from these guys: JP-Carparts.com. It was right around $100 shipped. I wanted the TRD one, but may settle for a new OEM.
Thanks, I have a 89 medium grey interior....do you know if these had a black knob and boot or is there a med. gray knob and boot?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

Thanks, I have a 89 medium grey interior....do you know if these had a black knob and boot or is there a med. gray knob and boot?
As far as I know the knob is always black, but the boot was matched to the interior.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Thanks. This is the one I bought that fits a Supra and also fits a early Lexus SC300 as well. It is a small detail but the only thing I did not like is the shift pattern under the glass is not chrome like the one in the Supra but it is still very nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lexus-...383257&hash=item3f65403680:g:-dQAAOSwM4xXaaXC

Maybe if you take that part number you might be able to find cheaper at Elmhurst Toyota or online like here:

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-knob-sub-assy-shift-3350424070c0

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

I know I have seen a OEM tan color manual shifter in tan interior before and here is picture of a gray shifter in the middle of this page:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/get-your-a70-supra-turbo-now-before-prices-go-bonkers/

Here is a OEM burgundy shifter as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sup...UICigB&biw=1600&bih=768#imgrc=-A5uzq1mSUVz4M:

But unfortunately I believe all those colors are long gone and discontinued. Even if you find a used one it will most likely be worn out.

Piratetip

Authorized Seller

Yeah mine has a blue shifter. Someday it might go back on if I ever get around to putting new leather on it.
New oem replacements are long gone.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

I know I have seen a OEM tan color manual shifter in tan interior before and here is picture of a gray shifter in the middle of this page:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/get-your-a70-supra-turbo-now-before-prices-go-bonkers/

Here is a OEM burgundy shifter as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sup...UICigB&biw=1600&bih=768#imgrc=-A5uzq1mSUVz4M:

But unfortunately I believe all those colors are long gone and discontinued. Even if you find a used one it will most likely be worn out.
Gooooood call! Thanks for the correction. :)

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller

Great info guys, thanks. Question though, why does the supra with 3k miles on it have a black knob and shifter boot if there is a burgundy one. My brother has an 89 with the same color scheme and has a black knob and boot also which I'm fairly certain is original. I use to have a mint 87 that iirc came with a gray knob and gray boot. I wonder if the matching knob and boot to the interior was only an 87 and 88 thing and in 89+ this was changed to black for all cars.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

Great info guys, thanks. Question though, why does the supra with 3k miles on it have a black knob and shifter boot if there is a burgundy one. My brother has an 89 with the same color scheme and has a black knob and boot also which I'm fairly certain is original. I use to have a mint 87 that iirc came with a gray knob and gray boot. I wonder if the matching knob and boot to the interior was only an 87 and 88 thing and in 89+ this was changed to black for all cars.
I just looked at pics of my 89 blue interior and it had a black knob and boot. My 91 blue interior has a black knob and boot. My guess is the color matched cars are all 86-88 model year. The google image search linked above seems to back that up as well.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

The 89+ Supra's did start to loose some interior color matched pieces such as the shift knob, steering wheels, plastic steering column shrouds and it just went to a standard black color.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Just updated the complete parts list in post #1. Also got the Drift Motion CPS magnet mod installed. Did not really notice a difference with the magnet installed but the Supra already runs like new.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It's been good. I got the 1200cc fuel injectors put in and actucally been working on rewiring the new engine wiring harness yesterday and today. Went through over 225ft of wiring already. I want to do more but the weather is just barely starting to get warmer as it was still 24*F last night and the cold makes it hard to work with these new curly wires lol. I will be updating with a lot more pictures when I get it back in.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well the weather has been warmer and more progress has been made. I got the ECU Masters standalone installed and a made a brand new engine wiring harness running sequential fuel injection and having the standalone power the stock 7m coils. I also decided to go back to the 7m coils. I also picked up a new 86.5 non-turbo Supra which I plan on transferring everything to later on.

Here is also a video of the Supra at Sound Performance running only one pull. The wastegate that was on the turbo is set for higher boost so it opens up around 23 PSI . I need a lower opening wategate so I can run pump gas so I will be back to get the tune done in July. Just for now the Supra is making 366WHP and it pulls very hard at 14 PSI (set for fuel cut until new wastegate is installed).

Here is a video of the first start:

Here is a video of the first and only 366WHP dyno pull for now:

Lets get some more pictures rolling...

Dissecting the factory engine wiring harness to see how everything is laid out. Over 2 hours removing all dried up electrical tape:

Hanging up some of the new curly wires to straighten them out:

Down to the last OEM wires on the harness:

Got a big box of all the OEM wires that came from the old engine harness:

Here is the new engine harness with around 300ft of high quality USA made high temp electrical wire. Every terminal is crimped then soldered then dielectric greased then double heat-shrinked along with braided sleeve throughout for overkill. It was made on the motor so everything is the right length:

ECU Masters standalone mounted in factory spot with new brackets made out of some old hid ballast holders:

Upgraded the fuel pump relay from a 30A to a 75A unit, heavy duty stuff here:

Went with 2 Bosch knock sensors to replace OEM knock sensors:

Huge pile of OEM electronics that are no longer needed for the ECU Masters standalone:

Mounted the 12 position AEM boost control switch:

Here is some pictures of the new 86.5 Supra:

Bonus content - Here is some other awesome pictures/projects from Sound Performance:

Foxbody Mustang with 2jz-

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Great thread. I can't believe I missed it until now. Nice work on the harness. I need to do the same at some point, my 1JZ harness is a bit of a hack job. That ECU looks right at home in there. I have an AEM V1 which is a bit large for the factory location.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks mobes. The newest version of the ECU Masters computer is even smaller, about 1/2 the size of this one lol. I was looking into having someone rebuild my harness but no one can get the right measurements of exactly where you want to mount everything under the hood such as the Acura fuel injector box, e85 content sensor, iat sensor, boost solenoid and a few others so it is best to make one on the vehicle. I did have to take apart a OEM harness to use for a reference in length and wire routing but the hardest thing was just to tie together the grounds, 12+ and the 5v signal wiring.

Today I got the fuel pressure sensor installed and wired up:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks zhenya. I got the Nitto 245/50r16 street drag radials mounted on a extra set of saw blades. Very sticky tires.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I wanted to stop in and give you guys a quick update. I had the Supra back at Sound Performance for the 2nd dyno tune and it made 450 WHP at 19 psi on pump gas and 540 WHP at 23 psi on e85. My original wastegate was sticking closed from the first dyno tune so we got a replacement one put in and this is where it is now. It still has plenty of room for more HP but it will need a 2nd fuel pump and a better wastegate for boost control. Here are some videos, headphones preferred for optimal experience ;)

A quick 60 MPH run on the 1st tune with 366WHP:

The final pump gas 2nd dyno tune making 450WHP at 19 psi:

The final e85 2nd dyno tune making 540WHP at 23 psi:

A quick 80 MPH run on the 2nd e85 final tune at 540WHP:

Last edited:

Piratetip

Authorized Seller
Sounds great Ryon!

How much does SP charge for tuning there?

Also how is that Diff holding up for you?