MKIII with Ford 6r80 transmission

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I don't know if anyone has done this swap yet or even if anyone has thought about it. I've had stock automatics, built r154's and I wanted another auto so I can do some racing and have more consistent times and also be a beast on the highway without losing boost between shifts. A friend of mine talked to me about the 6r80 and about how strong they are in stock form. He owns a company https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=cbf performance that has built most of the things I've used for this swap. He already sells the cd009 kits for the MKIII's and now I'm sure he'll be selling kits to do this swap as well. It has been about as simple as anyone could hope for. As of right now, I have the trans in my car along with the shifter and cable. I have the driveshaft ready to go in this weekend. We're also going to wire up the Quick shift6 transmission controller and install the trans cooler and lines. Hopefully this weekend we can fire it up and see how it does. I will post up some pictures later. This was just an intro to let everyone know what I"m doing. Can't wait to get this thing tuned with the auto and turn the boost up to about thirty psi. Wooo Hooooo, can't wait.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Oh nice!
Holding power between shifts is going to be very beneficial for times and overall feel.

Are these the gear ratios?
4.17, 2.34, 1.57, 1.14, 0.87, and 0.69:1

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I will definitely be putting my Piratetip built lsd to the test. I plan on running about thirty psi on my 6466 fueled by e85.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Oyee.. don't blow er up!
Should be ok :)
What HP will 30psi get you to?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Through the auto, I'm hoping it gets me about 700-750

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
honestly if you are going to do the work for the 6r80, why not look into the 8HP70 which has been proven at elevated power levels without much sweat.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
honestly if you are going to do the work for the 6r80, why not look into the 8HP70 which has been proven at elevated power levels without much sweat.
That's what I'll be putting behind my 7m eventually, watching this one with interest though, even with 6 speed would be a big improvement on the A340 junk.
Looks like the aftermarket is finally starting to catch up to the ZF8, getting the TCU to work with a swap is still challenging but there are at least 2 workarounds that I know of now. Hopefully by the time I'm ready, there are more.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I'm using the quick shift trans controller to control the 6r80. They may have one for the 8hp70

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
A little update.
We got the drive shaft in, the quick shift wired up, the transmission cooler installed and plumbed in. Unfortunately I couldn't start it because I had a small fuel leak. I'm hoping to get that resolved tomorrow. Once I get the car started, I can add more tranny fluid and hopefully take it down the road for a test drive.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
According to what I've read, the 6r80 in stock form will handle a thousand horse power. That's more than I need it to handle.
I took the car for it's maiden voyage today, but forgot to do an important step. I'm going out there in a minute to do this step. I forgot to calibrate the throttle position sensor. It was shifting weird and I'm sure this has everything to do with no calibrating it first. I also don't have my new vband clamps for my exhaust so I had no exhaust past the down pipe..............ughhh. I sounded like a log truck coming down the road.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I drove the car down the road twice today. I'm having to let the quick6 learn the shift points. I can't wait to get it tuned and ready for some racing.

trofimovich

Authorized Seller
A very interesting topic. In the future I want to put the A760 transmission. I bought a PCS TPS2800 to control it.
Gear ratios of 6th gear 0.582.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Wow a .582 with a final drive of 3.73 will get you around 2000RPM @ 70mph or 112kph

trofimovich

Authorized Seller
Wow a .582 with a final drive of 3.73 will get you around 2000RPM @ 70mph or 112kph
Differential installed final gear 3.58 Crown 155
I wanted to find 3.2 or 2.9, but in size 8" they are only sold in Japan. Very rare. group-a

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I saw the videos on facebook.

Nice rpm during cruise.

You should post the videos here so everyone can see that.