Mk3 forums dead..miss the good times

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
Authorized Seller
Ya I just came back and wow... Not many Mk3 cockroaches crawling around....even checked supraforums nothing. Heard something bout all moved to Facebook. Just ain't the same... Shit sucks. Used to be fun all the activities going on 40+ members on at least.. squeak... squeak..... (SpongeBob) 6 hours later.... Response. Lol damn.. miss the good days

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I'm still here and have zero plans of migrating my activity over to facebook. Facebook is not just a little worse when it comes to historical documentation, it's absolutely abysmal. It's hard to find things that I POSTED. Instagram is better, but still terrible.

I think the forum format will live on indefinitely until another trend comes along that has some small attempt at information permanence. Facebook is all about right here, right now. Much of the content is 10 second blurbs from a mobile phone. The stuff that matters takes time and thought to compile and document and facebook seemingly has no intention of improving that.

I look at it this way: Facebook has siphoned off the majority of the jackasses that were on the forums just to kill a few minutes and spread misinformation or troll. Facebook can keep em.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
I bounce between FB and the forums. HOWEVER I try to encourage folks to post on the forums due to it being easier to google search for.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Facebook is garbage it’s up to us to keep it going here. If you’re new to the mk3 or have any Interest in the platform you’re going to end up asking the question to Google and ending up here. We just have to keep checking in and helping out. This is a great community, the knowledge here is unreal!

SupraSpooler

Authorized Seller
I learned everything I know from the forums and lurking for the past decade. As long as there are dedicated Supra owners that care, the forums will live on. Is the younger gen just not as into cars as we are?

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
The forums are my home, plus they are less clowns here than on facebook. The new gen of mk3 owners are embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: loc182

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ya I just came back and wow... Not many Mk3 cockroaches crawling around....even checked supraforums nothing. Heard something bout all moved to Facebook. Just ain't the same... Shit sucks. Used to be fun all the activities going on 40+ members on at least.. squeak... squeak..... (SpongeBob) 6 hours later.... Response. Lol damn.. miss the good days
Lots of good comments here and I'm not going to sit and like them all. I am in agreement that the forums are better for long-term benefit. The search feature is good here, and google makes it better... and SupraMania has gone a long way in correcting what PhotoBucket did to pictures. Lots of the old guys are gone, and some are still around and not participating. Guess that's not odd, people don't always stay on the same track for life. The history is here... preserved. Just about anything you will experience with your Supra mk3 has been experienced... and there's so much good info here. I predict this will survive for a while yet.

Welcome back!

Reactions: alcyon

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Forums are not dead.
There is simply less traffic.

The people with MK3's have grown up, I see it simply as less flaunting of builds.
In return you don't get to see these type of builds much anymore, since they are not the type of people to post ridiculous stuff all the time.

There are still plenty of us out there.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I'm trying to get a few local guys I run with around here to put their build threads on here, but it seems most of the older supra owners are getting out of the game as time goes on.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm trying to get a few local guys I run with around here to put their build threads on here, but it seems most of the older supra owners are getting out of the game as time goes on.
I think every now and then we need to post in the FB forums about specific content on SupraMania. Instead of FB threads with 40 posts, point to the documentation here when you know it's here :) The best of both worlds.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I think every now and then we need to post in the FB forums about specific content on SupraMania. Instead of FB threads with 40 posts, point to the documentation here when you know it's here :) The best of both worlds.
Yeah. Definitely, with the way the world is today though nobody wants to sit down and take the time to scour the forums for the good information when they can post on Facebook and get 30 replies in 20 minutes. Which is a shame because they are missing out on a wealth of knowledge. I've learned most of my knowledge on these from lurking on the forums.

Reactions: alcyon and debrucer

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Authorized Seller
I don't visit the forums too much anymore. In addition to the significantly reduced traffic, they're just not as useful as they use to be. The search function still works, but many/most picture links are either dead or reduced quality (damn you photobucket! :mad:)

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I don't visit the forums too much anymore. In addition to the significantly reduced traffic, they're just not as useful as they use to be. The search function still works, but many/most picture links are either dead or reduced quality (damn you photobucket! :mad:)
Perhaps you haven't looked recently :) Jeff Lange spent more than a month working on and executing a plan to retrieve all existing live links to PhotoBucket and get source files which are stored locally here... so, no more PhotoBucket shit. Take a look around.. and post your photos here, in the archives, where other mk3 owners can see :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I'm still here and still trying to get my supra to be the best it can be. Working on getting a six speed auto to work in it at the moment. It's been a slow go because the friend of mine that helps me has been working out of state recently and when he comes home, he has to spend time with his family. Hopefully this winter we get it taken care of though.

Reactions: alcyon and debrucer

alcyon

Authorized Seller
I'm still here and still trying to get my supra to be the best it can be. Working on getting a six speed auto to work in it at the moment. It's been a slow go because the friend of mine that helps me has been working out of state recently and when he comes home, he has to spend time with his family. Hopefully this winter we get it taken care of though.
6 speed auto, dang I want that too !

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
What 6 speed are you using? Aisin or 6L80/ZF6?
I've been dreaming for a while about putting a ZF 8 speed in my car for its awesome ratio spread and lightning fast changes. I'm happy to make whatever adaptors are necessary but I think the electronics/control side would turn into a nightmare of a project so it's well on the back burner for now

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I do miss those active days also. You need a answer on a new thread, usually done within minutes. How about needing to buy a Supra part in the wanted to buy section? You usually had multiple part offers within a hour or two from people parting out their Supra or from having extra parts laying around. The user Tubbie would always would stand out in the Wanted to buy section with his mk3 collection ready for the part picking. What I miss the most is the actual Supra car meets and here in Chicago which was plenty in the late 00's.

I was absent on here from around 2011 to about 2016 not that I would ever not have a mk3 Supra but I just focused on other categories in life. I always wanted to build up a Supra during those years but I made other choices those years that would better myself and family and to this day it has been paying off since.

It is amazing to see what has changed with technology in the last 15 years and the mk3 Supra could run better than it ever has before today but now the downside is parts get harder to find or have become discontinued. Also information might not always be the best on newer items. I still share what I can and I hope my Supra build or information that I have found over the years helps others...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Authorized Seller
Perhaps you haven't looked recently :) Jeff Lange spent more than a month working on and executing a plan to retrieve all existing live links to PhotoBucket and get source files which are stored locally here... so, no more PhotoBucket shit. Take a look around.. and post your photos here, in the archives, where other mk3 owners can see :)

Oh wow! My photos are back. That's awesome! :)

• Love

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
<snip> Working on getting a six speed auto <snip>
I'm glad that my Supra is a stick, but, that said, this is an interesting project. My former project car was a Triumph TR-7. I put a 231-ci Buick V6 and a Turbo 700 R4 automatic in it. Car was a '77 and engine and trans were '83, from two different cars. In the original application there were something like six wiring harness/computer configurations for the engine, and more than 10 for the transmission. I went with no computer and paid a transmission mechanic to install a shift kit, B&M, I think it was, and it was pretty good shifting it manually. As an automatic, it wasn't so hot :(

I think I saw you post earlier on this... I'll be watching... should make for interesting reading :)

And, Good luck!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Where's Lammarosa?

If you want activity to spike here, you need to advertise.

The Mark V crowd might as well be in the BMW forums unfortunately. I figured once it was released we'd get a spike, but I guess everyone who bought it either has 0 tuning or wrenching ability or just bought it for the name thinking it'll be worth what the Mark IVs are.