MK3 Engine Fire - How should I rebuild?

87SupraFreak

Authorized Seller
Sup Gents,

Here's the skinny. 87 Toyota Supra Targa Top Turbo Manual. My baby had an engine fire a few years ago and vowed I wouldn't sell an rebuild her. The engine is a 7MGTE. No damage to the fire wall (not visually) or cabin. My question is do you think its worth finding all the burned sensors, harness, hoses etc...or should I scout an engine and drop a new one in? I'm not looking to race or anything. The Lexus AFM - 550CC & walbro pump was the current setup but as you can see from the pics I would need to replace quite a bit.

Would it be cheaper doing a drop in or rebuild the current engine?

Attachments

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
My guess is it'd be cheaper and easier to just get a new engine and salvage anything valuable off the old engine to resell or swap into the new engine. Getting that back to 100% would be a huge pain.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I would recommend replacing everything that has been subjected to high heat from the fire.
Some of it might "look" ok but might catastrophically fail on you.

For one those cam gears stand out for me on that topic.
Anything aluminum also does not do well in that temperature, anneals it.
-cylinder head

87SupraFreak

Authorized Seller
Technically everything was subjected to high heat. If I need to drop in a new engine I’m thinking to just go 2jz instead of sourcing a 7MGTE.

I have the r154 tranny is there anything else pivotal I would need for this swap?

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Thanks again

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I was wondering how your hood still looks ok with an engine fire?
Did you already replace that?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Technically everything was subjected to high heat. If I need to drop in a new engine I’m thinking to just go 2jz instead of sourcing a 7MGTE.

I have the r154 tranny is there anything else pivotal I would need for this swap?

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Thanks again
FOr a 2jz swap you will need 2jz ECU with wiring harness, 1jz to R154 bellhousing. 2jz clutch and flywheel, 2jz engine.

with that said, why are you going with a 2jz? it wasn't very clear as to the why.