Methanol Injection

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
I have been thinking about adding methanol injection to the Mk3 Supra.

Main reason for doing so is to safely increase boost to 24+psi. Currently run 18psi max on 93 octane. I was thinking about always running 100 octane but obviously over time this would come out to be very pricey.

I'm looking for some insight on what kits you guys may be running. AEM/DevilsOwn/Snow.

Also the best location to mount the meth nozzle. Instructions state 6 inches from throttle body. I currently have my VPC air temp probe in that position.

Whats the best position to mount meth nozzle in relation to where vpc temp sensor probe.
My research thus far is indicating meth injection post vpc temp probe. However research is also suggesting mounting the meth injection to the cold side ic piping that is directly connected to the intercooler. This would be pre vpc temp probe.

So which is the best way to go?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I'm not saying mine is best but I have Snow's performance. I run 93 octane with 50/50 boost juice. I also run about 25psi of boost on a 6765. My nozzle is located about sixteen inches from the throttle body. I love methanol injection. Good luck with yours.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I've got a Torque freaks kit I pulled off my car ealier this year, oldie but works fine used it until again last year when I had my car running. Then switched to complete E85. If you dont already have a kit.

Also have a full AEM kit new. PM me if you still looking

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Where are you guys mounting the nozzle in relationship to the air temp sensor?

I appreciate your offer but I'm looking to buy brand new.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Also curious on the Nitrous Express meth kit...any users here with experience please chime in on your experiences.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
With my current set up I was thinking about placing meth nozzle cold side just after BOV. This way I would have meth injecting about 8 inches before vpc temp probe. (VPC Probe is 6 inches before TB)

What are your thoughts?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Well I decided on the snow performance stage 2 progressive kit. Also got the safe injection boost relay to cut power to EBC in the event of a meth injection malfunction.
I plan to utilize the oem washer reservoir.

Still undecided on meth nozzle placement. As mentioned above, VPC temp probe is 6" from TB.

Looking for some insight.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Mine was on the TB of my 2jz. I don't think it matters that much where you place it as long as it's higher than the tank. If it's lower sometimes a check valve can leak and you'll flood the pipes, which then hydro locks the engine.

My AEM kit is NIB.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
This was taken from Snow's Performance website.

14. Where can I mount the nozzle?
• The best placement of the nozzles is in the area around the inlet to the intake manifold or virtually anywhere on the pipe leading from the intercooler to the intake manifold. The nozzles can be placed at any position on the tube, so long as they are pointing at a 90 degree angle to the direction of airflow. The nozzles can be placed in a series or right next to each other. There is enough heat and velocity and flow through the pipe under boost to absorb the water/methanol regardless of the nozzle positions relative to each other.
• Some intakes are pre-drilled for Snow Performance nozzles. As long as all of the airflow into the engine will pass by all nozzles used in the system, even distribution and cooling will result.
• Placement before the intercooler or turbo(s) is not recommended. Cooling is not improved. Never mount an injector nozzle before a turbocharger compressor. Sending fluid through the compressor wheel that spins anywhere from 50,000rpm to 250,000rpm can erode the leading edges of the fine aluminum. Studies performed by SAAB, concluded that pre-turbo injection will over time cause cavitation on the turbo wheel leading edges.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Yes I have actually read above in the instructions, but I appreciate your posts. It also states you can inject pre or post maf. Of course nothing will discuss vpc temp probe as thats supra specific.

I went with the snow stage 2 progressive kit.

Im still leaning towards injecting right after bov so I will be 8 or 10 inches pre vpc temp probe.

Install is on hold however, as I'm currently under way with a stage 2 A340E build.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
I'm not saying mine is best but I have Snow's performance. I run 93 octane with 50/50 boost juice. I also run about 25psi of boost on a 6765. My nozzle is located about sixteen inches from the throttle body. I love methanol injection. Good luck with yours.
could you shed some light on your install? Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows Pump red into controller green. Controller red to a 12 volt key on source. Is this really how the system is getting power? Just an accessory on switch to handle 11 amps? Is there supposed to be a relay and fuse in the kit?

I see other kits have the pump getting juice directly from the battery.

Any help in this matter would be helpful

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
let m know what you guys think.

Add a fuse and tap into Wiper 20 amp fuse. This new circuit with 15 amp fuse will go directly to methanol controller. I don't drive the supra in the rain so this seems like a solid location to grab power. Plus Wiper fuse is switched ignition on only.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
I also mounted the meth nozzle after the vpc temp probe on ic pipe leading to throttle body.
Meth nozzle 4 inches from tb plate.
VPC probe 6 inches from tb plate.
Meth and VPC temp probe 2 inches apart.

I may decide to move vpc probe back further if I have any issues; id have to pick up some more piping if so.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Went for a test drive today. I left the EBC settings alone for the time being boosting at 17psi. AFR 11.2-11.5 before meth. Meth AFR is 10.8-11.2.

The car seems to love the 50/50 mix and seems to want more boost.
Pulls were super strong with ambient temperature 90 degrees. Noticed a slight tone change thru the revs and slightly faster spoolup.

I have the progressive controller set to start injecting at 8psi and full at 16psi.

I plan to adjust the EBC to 22psi and see how it feels.

I want to eventually run 25psi but that might be pushing the 550cc fuel injectors or walbro pump too much.

Turbo is Lipp Boss Stage 5 GTS 61mm.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I agree, 25 psi could be pushing the 550's. Are you on stock ecu? The only way to really know is to measure injector duty cycle through logging.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Update:
Raised boost to 21 psi and wow...what a difference from 17 psi. I think the Boss turbo really comes alive at this pressure. A/F are now on the rich side at 10.4. Ambient temps were 70F. I am pulling around 12-18% fuel with the safc2.

After several pulls i blew off an IC pipe. I am using tbolt clamps but might need to look into welding.

I still plan to increase boost a few more psi.

Does anyone using the Lipp Boss Turbos know what the max psi it can push efficiently? SupraSport can only tell me its good for 615hp and nothing else helpful. Currently at 21psi, my EBC is at 65%, although this % has nothing to do with anything. ( I think Profec spec 2 is good for 43.5psi, so that would be 100%)

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
J Zizzle, I'll have to look at my wiring to be certain. I have a solenoid wired into mine right before the spray goes into the intercooling pipes. This keeps fluid from just draining into the pipes if parked down hill. I have my progressive coming on at 13psi and full at 18 psi. I'm currently running about 25psi on mine. I'm out of town till Monday so I won't be able to look at the wriring till then. Seems like you have your figured out though. Good luck, Jay

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
Jay, I got the wiring all figured out. Made a call to Snow Performance to confirm everything. No need for you to take your time to check out your wiring but I do appreciate it sir.

I have my solenoid right after the pump and check valve closer to nozzle.

Still need a few more test drives to dial in my boost and AFR. I'm going to run 22 psi and leave it there.

I plan to do a full rebuild when time allows as I'm busy with renovations and such lately.

By the way, the ATF stage 2 A340E is excellent. Crisp shifts and handles 21 psi from the 61mm turbo without skipping a beat. Trans is rated for 650whp.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
The boss turbo is made by comp or turbo techniques look towards a Garrett 61MM for a similar compressor map. You can keep adding boost until you notice the power doesn't really match the gains in PSI or if the turbo starts to drop PSI at redline. I don't think you'll max out the turbo on meth injection unless you spray ALOT of meth.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Authorized Seller
The boss turbo is made by comp or turbo techniques look towards a Garrett 61MM for a similar compressor map. You can keep adding boost until you notice the power doesn't really match the gains in PSI or if the turbo starts to drop PSI at redline. I don't think you'll max out the turbo on meth injection unless you spray ALOT of meth.
Thanks for your input.
I'd imagine it be efficient to around 30psi.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I don't think 30 PSI, probably efficient till 25, but will do 30-35 pushing it hard. I would imagine just around 500-550 MAYBE 600 could be made on the turbo.