Maintenance costs of an MK3 Supra?

It's probably been sitting there for over a year, and vines are starting to grow on it. Apart of me wants to write a note and put it underneath one of the window wipers and see if they want to sell it.
The thing is, I know english news capread very little about MK3 Supras. Would this be a decent first car to learn how to work on? Are parts readily available online or locally possibly? Are the parts cheap? Are these cars reliable?
Tell me everything you know about MK3 Supras.

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
These cars at this age are usually going to need some kind of maintenance. 12 Years ago the Supra was my first vehicle and I daily drove it for 5 years but back then tons of parts were available at the dealer and used parts were plentiful at good prices, not so much now-a-days. I did the maintenance such as a tune up, all fluids, belts, brakes, suspension, coolant hoses and it ran great but you never really know how the previous owner maintained the vehicle until you work on it or tear things down.

Personally I would not recommend the Supra as your first car but if you had another daily driver and work on a Supra on the side then it can be a fun project and you can learn a lot from working on it. For the most part the Supra does have that overall Toyota reliability but from the few downfalls it has, those items will need to be addressed or inspected.

I second having another car as a daily driver. I love my 87, but as the car is 35 years old now, things need replacing and cause days of downtime as a result of ordering parts, if you can find them.

Generally speaking though, I find these cars easy to work on as the engine is mostly mechanical and can be mended relatively easy without replacing lots of electronics. Good cars, but they age and need replacement parts like every other vehicle. Would not rely on as a daily driver.

Story time:
I blew my head gasket and replaced it, drove it for about 1000 miles and i had a pipe burst on the freeway and barely made it to a gas station before all my coolant had come out. That is a relatively easy fix, but after 2 weeks down replacing a head gasket, the last thing I was expecting, or wanted to deal with, was a random broken heater hose.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Parts readily available? No.
Parts cheap? no.
Reliable? no.

These are relatively expensive project cars as of 2019. Getting the motor "reliable" often requires a full rebuild.

It can be a fine car to learn on, but it will rarely be reliable transportation until you've spent a lot of time and money on it.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Parts readily available? No.
Parts cheap? no.
Reliable? no.

These are relatively expensive project cars as of 2019. Getting the motor "reliable" often requires a full rebuild.

It can be a fine car to learn on, but it will rarely be reliable transportation until you've spent a lot of time and money on it.
I've always called my Supra a "project car". I have owned mine since 2005-2006, and it was only this month taken out of non-op status with California DMV. I have driven my car three times, flat-bedded it, also, three times. Now that it is registered, the plan is to have it finished by the next SMOG inspection cycle - two years.

This is in contrast to my previous attempt to build a hot car. I installed a 231 CI Buick V6 in a Triumph TR7. It was falling apart faster than I could keep it going and it never got finished. This time? Garage until done :)

I love my car. If you're not dedicated to it though, it probably won't be a great experience.

Good luck with your decision.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
imho, if you want a Supra, buy one with a good rust free body, with good paint. Engine and suspension are relatively easy to DIY given time. Worst case the motor needs a rebuild, your are looking at a couple thousand dollars for machine work and parts for a stock rebuild. If you want upgraded parts, it gets expensive fast. Suspension is generally simple and easy to work on, and there is decent aftermarket support for bushings, coilovers, etc.

On the plus side, MKIIIs are easy to work on. There are lots of resources for knowledge and parts. Ya, you can't buy all of the stock parts new anymore, but there are usually enough people parting out cars that you can find what you need.

If you buy the car, get it running as is. No upgrades. Just get it running and drivable, and then consider your next steps.