Machine shop quote, could i get a second opinion

SavageSlav

Authorized Seller
Took my 7mgte motor disassembled to my machine shop. Brought them the Block, crank, head, cams, valves and oilpump to check over all the clearances for oil passages and prep for a MLS head gasket. Screenshot_20200725-000652.png
The quote came to 1500$ cad.
What kinda has me iffy is it seems they missed a lot. I'll have to ask them myself Monday but Theres no mention of any work to the head and even though I mentioned I wanted to keep it "stock" for now but will be building up the internals, forged rods and 20thou oversized pistons. There was no mention of any torque plate...maybe I didn't communicate well enough what i want. Any other opinions would be appreciated. First time at a machine shop so I take part of the blame suppose.
Located in Vancouver BC.
Thanks in advance!

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would definitely get a few quotes. When I rebuilt my 7m in 2017 it cost $420 with tax in the states out the door but I dissembled and reassembled everything.

Who ever you decide to go with make sure you have them:

- Clean all the oil passages on the block and crankshaft.
- Machine the block with the lower rear timing cover installed.
- If re-boring the block, there has been members who recommend installing the timing belt tensioner and torque it down to prevent any imperfections on the walls of the 1st cylinder.
- Change or inspect the bearings for the oil pump driveshaft in the block.

Reactions: debrucer

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
My unprofessional opinion:
Funny they list it as a v8 block, not that it makes a difference. Torque plate for 7m, I'd say good luck, might be hard to find. "No mention of torque plate" from my experience that's never been included in any block honing procedure at least for me, it hasn't been. Clean front cover and oil pan? I would think they would just toss it in the hot tank along with the block. Labor to check valve guides, valve stems, spring tension,etc, why is there labor charge for this?? anyone that does valve job should automatically do this. I would do a full blown valve job. It cost me $500. bucks for a five angle competition valve job, and $500.00 for port and polish. Seems like there is a lot of labor charges that should be included, like, mains and rod mic and inspect, who doesn't include this when rebuilding an engine?? Go shop around, I'd say. "Visual inspection of cam lobes", if it were my engine I'd get them measured. Oil pump:: I'd just get a new one, I wouldn't go cheap on that. If it was my engine, I'd align hone the mains first before decking the block. All of this I mentioned:: my opinion only.

Last edited:
Reactions: plaaya69

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Mine was about $2400 a few months back. That was for everything though, hot tank, cleaned passages, bored .020'' w/ torque plate that he sourced from another machine shop, decked, bottom end assembled and balanced with the harmonic and flywheel on, head mild port, decked, 3 angle valve job, set valve adjustment with aftermarket cams and some other things I'm sure i left out.

I sourced the parts aside from the oil pump thrust bearings and some small misc items.

I called around to several shops, I went with the guy who knew what I was talking about when it comes to particulars on the 7M. Everything came back great, its driving awesome now.

SavageSlav

Authorized Seller
Thank you for the replies guys.

If it is hot tanked the bearing should be replaced, then checked.
They mentioned they'd remove the bearings. Only source I could find for replacement of these is the DNJ ones since the stock ones got discontinued. Has anyone used these before?
  • DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS IS941 Bearing (Intermediate)

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS IS941

My unprofessional opinion:
Funny they list it as a v8 block, not that it makes a difference. Torque plate for 7m, I'd say good luck, might be hard to find. "No mention of torque plate" from my experience that's never been included in any block honing procedure at least for me, it hasn't been. Clean front cover and oil pan? I would think they would just toss it in the hot tank along with the block. Labor to check valve guides, valve stems, spring tension,etc, why is there labor charge for this?? anyone that does valve job should automatically do this. I would do a full blown valve job. It cost me $500. bucks for a five angle competition valve job, and $500.00 for port and polish. Seems like there is a lot of labor charges that should be included, like, mains and rod mic and inspect, who doesn't include this when rebuilding an engine?? Go shop around, I'd say. "Visual inspection of cam lobes", if it were my engine I'd get them measured. Oil pump:: I'd just get a new one, I wouldn't go cheap on that. If it was my engine, I'd align hone the mains first before decking the block. All of this I mentioned:: my opinion only.
It does seem like they just want to do a bit of work and get me out the door when you put it that way...gonna be embarrassing to take all my stuff back since I dropped it all off last week. The head I brought to them was off a block with a hole in the side of it...the head visually looked ok but I would think there would definitely be some machine work involved...maybe I'm that lucky it doesent even need a hot tank cleaning (skeptical face)...also I wanted them to measure my bock and head so I can size a head gasket based on how much they plan to take off...but paying labour for visual inspections of a few other items...kinda upset about this so far...but I'll still talk to them Monday. I just want this done right. And I highly doubt they can source a torque plate.
Anyone still renting out torque plates around here?

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thank you for the replies guys.

They mentioned they'd remove the bearings. Only source I could find for replacement of these is the DNJ ones since the stock ones got discontinued. Has anyone used these before?
  • DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS IS941 Bearing (Intermediate)

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS IS941

It does seem like they just want to do a bit of work and get me out the door when you put it that way...gonna be embarrassing to take all my stuff back since I dropped it all off last week. The head I brought to them was off a block with a hole in the side of it...the head visually looked ok but I would think there would definitely be some machine work involved...maybe I'm that lucky it doesent even need a hot tank cleaning (skeptical face)...also I wanted them to measure my bock and head so I can size a head gasket based on how much they plan to take off...but paying labour for visual inspections of a few other items...kinda upset about this so far...but I'll still talk to them Monday. I just want this done right. And I highly doubt they can source a torque plate.
Anyone still renting out torque plates around here?
I don't recall you saying where you live... where is around here?

There's a thread on this forum about a guy on another forum who makes these plates. I think his nickname is Captain on Supraforums.com.

I think someone had one made... and perhaps they are near you.

SavageSlav

Authorized Seller
I don't recall you saying where you live... where is around here?

There's a thread on this forum about a guy on another forum who makes these plates. I think his nickname is Captain on Supraforums.com.

I think someone had one made... and perhaps they are near you.
Vancouver bc Canada

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Think I paid a little over $1k ten years ago for decking the block, overboring, installing new oil pump DS bearings, and (I think, can't remember) installing the pistons/crank.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Your invoice say's "Install cam bearing and plugs" You must have gotten lucky to get cam bearing, I'd say just about all, or maybe none of our 7 M engines have cam bearing, that I know of. In my opinion, it's best to do all engine work at once rather than doing some of it then after a while do the other things later, because if you do it separately you are going to have one component of the engine fresh and the other components sorta kinda worn, for instance, if you have a sorta kinda worn block and fresh heads, you might blow out the rings, this happened to me. I think it's better to have an engine that is worn in together. Besides, you would disassemble once and assemble once. This is only a suggestion. But if you going to mod it later, I wouldn't wait too long. Yeah, I think if it were my engine, I think I would find a way or think of something to say to them to get it out of the shop especially if you not comfortable, because once they start any kind of machine work, it too late, once it's cut that's it. You need an excuse to get your engine, tell them anything, the truth, unexpected money situation, Covid 19, whatever. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

SavageSlav

Authorized Seller
Your invoice say's "Install cam bearing and plugs" You must have gotten lucky to get cam bearing, I'd say just about all, or maybe none of our 7 M engines have cam bearing, that I know of. In my opinion, it's best to do all engine work at once rather than doing some of it then after a while do the other things later, because if you do it separately you are going to have one component of the engine fresh and the other components sorta kinda worn, for instance, if you have a sorta kinda worn block and fresh heads, you might blow out the rings, this happened to me. I think it's better to have an engine that is worn in together. Besides, you would disassemble once and assemble once. This is only a suggestion. But if you going to mod it later, I wouldn't wait too long. Yeah, I think if it were my engine, I think I would find a way or think of something to say to them to get it out of the shop especially if you not comfortable, because once they start any kind of machine work, it too late, once it's cut that's it. You need an excuse to get your engine, tell them anything, the truth, unexpected money situation, Covid 19, whatever. Just my opinion.
I think they referred to them as "balance shaft bearings"...which I assume are the oilpump driveshaft bearings

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This might not be super helpful, but Cords (https://www.alpinecords.ca/) over here in Victoria has built several 7Ms, and they have a torque plate. They just rebuilt my buddies motor, cleaned, MHG with forged pistons, new oil pump driveshaft bearings, ARP rod bolts, rods resized, fully assembled etc. It's running great, looks like they did a really good job. His bill was about $2000 CAD apparently for the machine work.