Looking for coilovers

kueves87

Authorized Seller
Is there a really huge difference between the Teinstreet advance and the flex z? I'd like the car to be relatively comfy on the street and still be able to take it to a track every once in a while, just couldn't really tell the difference between the two besides price. I'm definitely willing to spend the money if people have had good experiences with the flex. thanks!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have the Flex Z version and I like them a lot. With all the damping force adjustments you can fine tune them to your liking and you do notice a difference from feel every bump in the road stiff to old 70's Cadillac bouncing down the road soft with adjustments in-between. I keep mine 5 clicks away from the stiffest setting and it handles great for everyday driving. I also liked the ride height setting it came with from Tein so I did not touch that.

I will say with these coilovers, I originally installed them on a original factory suspension parts but once I did the ST sway-bars and adjustable end links it handled better, then the rear battle version arms became even better. Just recently the last thing was the 4 rear pressed in lower bushings in each spindle with a alignment done and it is super responsive and feels solid now.

kueves87

Authorized Seller
I have the Flex Z version and I like them a lot. With all the damping force adjustments you can fine tune them to your liking and you do notice a difference from feel every bump in the road stiff to old 70's Cadillac bouncing down the road soft with adjustments in-between. I keep mine 5 clicks away from the stiffest setting and it handles great for everyday driving. I also liked the ride height setting it came with from Tein so I did not touch that.

I will say with these coilovers, I originally installed them on a original factory suspension parts but once I did the ST sway-bars and adjustable end links it handled better, then the rear battle version arms became even better. Just recently the last thing was the 4 rear pressed in lower bushings in each spindle with a alignment done and it is super responsive and feels solid now.
Awesome thanks! I figured they were gonna be the way to go, just needed some reassurance

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I installed a set of flex z on a 300zx and did not like them at all. The dampening was just not good at all. I been through a lot of coilovers over the years and the lowest end I go on my basic street car is BC.

twin2turbo

Authorized Seller
I'd highly recommend Fortune Auto. Their 500 series has good valving and spring rates for a street setup, which is what most people do. The 510s have insane valving for shock body that isn't 2 way, which allows amazing adjust ability, the ability to hit curbing on a track and high speeds and have valve blowoff. Also with such a wide valve range you can have a huge swing of available spring rates with out a re valve. I run 510s on my Time Attack car, but they are 3 times the cost most entry level coils

Teins are okay for an entry level coilover but dont expect greatness. It all depends are what your price point is and use. You could easily spend up to 10k on a good set of coilovers. Getting the correct valving and spring rate is extremely overlooked and the most important

kueves87

Authorized Seller
Oof as of right now 1200 is out of my price range, considering this will mostly be a street car, with some light track and drag down the road. i was also looking into BC and megan racing coilovers so theres definitely no shortage of options out there. Thanks for the suggestions guys I definitely wont rule anything out.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Im running a set of Tein Flex Z on my Supra. I am satisfied with them coming from my old Tokico Illumina II and H&R spring setup. They passed the old man test (having my 72 year old father ride in the car with me). I am satisfied with the 16 way dampening.

kueves87

Authorized Seller
Awesome, they're definitely top contenders right now... depending on what happens over the next couple months as far as side jobs and cash flow go i may step up to some bc or fortune auto cuz i like the rebuild ability, ill keep you all in the loop on what i end up getting . thanks again guys!!!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
if you get Teins, you have the option of adding the EDFC whenever you want, so you can get back the remote adjustability of the stock setup.

kueves87

Authorized Seller
Oh damn and they’ll even adjust the damping force to whatever you want too.... seems like a pretty sweet deal for 750....

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
if you get Teins, you have the option of adding the EDFC whenever you want, so you can get back the remote adjustability of the stock setup.
Sorry to thread jack, but are you saying that the EDFC can be installed so that the TEMS system can control its actuators?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sorry to thread jack, but are you saying that the EDFC can be installed so that the TEMS system can control its actuators?
No, you get a system that is similar to TEMS in principle but better in execution. More levels of adjustment, and I think there is now a GPS enabled version too.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Oh, ok, that is what I thought, but I was really hoping I was wrong :p

It would be amazing if Tein made a EDFC kit that allowed the use of the existing wiring from TEMS!