LED bulb replacements for external MK3 Supra lights

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Sorry if this has been covered and I didn't find it in my searches (a lot of the threads from search results are kinda old), but I'm looking into replacing the 1156 type bulbs on my '89 for both turn signals and back-up lights, and wondering if the automotive LED replacement bulbs these days would require some kind of "load equalizer/resistor" or similar to work on the MK3 Supras, or should most current gen LED bulbs be plug and play? Looking at Sylvania, Philips, and superbrightleds.com brands for starters.

I'm also a little concerned about how hot some of the LED bulbs might run, and I don't want something that's gonna melt or burn out hard-to-replace MK3 hardware. :)

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My thread on this is still reasonably current. I did modify the lamp failure box to work properly with the LEDs.

Reactions: sinistar_xx

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Thanks. Yeah, I did review that thread, but still wanted to renew interest in the topic and hopefully drum up a few more experiences, especially to see if modifications for compatibility are still required with the latest bulbs.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Where does that plug into exactly? : )

Just be aware this may not fit properly.
For mine I would have had to create an adapter so I opted for the inline resistor.
Is there something different about your Supra because of the model year or something else?

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Its the flasher relay in the drivers side footwell junction box. Not the easiest thing to pry out while upside down with your head under the dash. .

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Thanks. And looks like it’s backwards compatible with incandescent bulbs in case you want to switch back.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yeah, it basically deletes the rapid-flash lightbulb failure indicator. Funny thing is my car is 30 years old and all the turn signal bulbs are original. Its really pretty amazing.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Some models you would have to make a connector to make it fit. Could be a pre/post 89 thing.
I don't have the photos anymore or I would show you what I meant.

Mykal

Yep, that's exactly the problem I'm running into. I've assembled some parts to make an adapter but I need to finish it.