JZX90 cluster help

1jzpup

Hello everyone. Im at the end of my motor swap, (jzz30 1jzgte converted single turbo, in my 94 isuzu pickup thats bagged and body dropped. I molded a JZX90 auto cluster into my isuzu dash. I cant find any wiring help with the cluster to tap in my 1jz wiring for readings like my RPM, water temp and my fuel level from my fuel cell. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
so water temp will be the single wire temp sensor on the water neck, oil pressure comes from the sensor, rpm will come from the ecu, and fuel level will normally be on the body harness.

regarding the cluster wiring you can easily take apart the cluster and read the circuit board and trace the wires. you should also be able to google for jzx90 wiring diagrams and find the instrument panel one except its likely to be in Japanese.

1jzpup

so water temp will be the single wire temp sensor on the water neck, oil pressure comes from the sensor, rpm will come from the ecu, and fuel level will normally be on the body harness.

regarding the cluster wiring you can easily take apart the cluster and read the circuit board and trace the wires. you should also be able to google for jzx90 wiring diagrams and find the instrument panel one except its likely to be in Japanese.
thank you for the reply, i can see the circuitry on the back of the cluster but i also see screws for electrical contacts and not really sure what powers the cluster or grounds it. i could power probe the 4 plugs on the back of the cluster worst case but its trying to find the power and ground for the cluster assuming the entire cluster works from a single power supply and ground. Im certain i can find the signal wires from the engine side

1jzpup

i also have no problem paying for any diagrams that someone may have had to take time to create/translate or purchase themselves

1jzpup

There will be a connectors to plug everything in. you could use a ohm meter and ohm from connector to each terminal and make your own diagram. time consuming tho.

i found what i think is half the diagram
thanks again for the reply, i seen that diagram before but cant find the plugs that i have for my cluster in any diagrams, i have 1, 10 pin single row (behind fuel with 5 wires #90980-1116) and 3 20ish 1 row plugs behind the tach (14 wires #90980-11113), speed 11 wires 90980-11114), and coolant temp 7 wires #90980-11115

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Ya so the location of the plugs are not relevant to what there going to.

You might be able to get lucky and go to junk yard and other Toyota’s would fit. Which is usually the case for similar generation Toyota’s.

As there is not only the gauges but all the lights and dummy lights.

The tach is usually 1 wire. Coolant temp is 1 wire. Oil pressure is 1 wire. Speedo mechanical. If it’s electronic that’s a whole other thing.

If you want the basics to work you can wire it up that way for those 3 wires. The rest will be for the dummy lights and illumination.

You can unplug a bulb and ohm from the bolt socket on the circuit board to each connector pin. Etc that will tell you what everything goes too. With that route it should take about a hour maybe 2 and you can identify everything on the circuit board.

1jzpup

ok, what are the screw terminals for on the back with the letter +IG, B and a 3rd one (cluster is with my truck at fab shop) there is a set of screws for each plug on the back. once i figure how to power the cluster i can probe out for everything else but no idea on how to power it or ground the cluster to even start probing. im assuming the cluster has at least a ground before i will see anything from my signal wires. thank you so much thus far. i had this picture from previous conversation but didn't get an answers

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Those screws hold the tach and speedo bodies to the cluster. The screws feed the signals to the gauges but they connect to the pins on the connectors. Unless you are planning to bypass the connectors completely, just access the signals at the connectors.
B = 12V battery always on
IG+ 12V on with ignition
IG- is ground

For the speedo, there is usually IG+, IG-, speed sensor in from tranny, and speed signal out to ECU etc..

That is an electronic speedometer. Do you have the electronic speed sensor at the transmission? Looks like this or this.

speed_sensor.jpg speed_sensor2s.jpg

Last edited:

1jzpup

Those screws hold the tach and speedo bodies to the cluster. The screws feed the signals to the gauges but they connect to the pins on the connectors. Unless you are planning to bypass the connectors completely, just access the signals at the connectors.
IG+ 12V on with ignition
IG- is ground

For the speedo, there is usually IG+, IG-, speed sensor in from tranny, and speed signal out to ECU etc..

That is an electronic speedometer. Do you have the electronic speed sensor at the transmission? Looks like this or this.

View attachment 81625 View attachment 81627
yes my auto trans has all the electrical plugs, so i can tap directly into this screws behind the corresponding gauge? i can use the plugs or not doesnt matter, i just want rpm, water temp, my fuel cell level, and speed is just a bonus but might as well. thank you guys so much thus far

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yes, you can tap into signals using the screws. You can also solder directly to the traces if you first scrape off the solder mask but be careful about damaging the plastic flex film.

some of the labels I can sort of see (blurrry picture) see:
4P is SPD
SI is VSS
FU is from the fuel sender
TU temperature sender
GE is ground
SE is ground

Last edited:

1jzpup

awesome i will probably use the plugs for removal purposes, now just to look into the wilbro pin out for my signal wires. any idea where i could get my reverse signal from? my swap is motor trans and ecu with engine harness, no body harness, also have the floor shifter but there no electrical running to it

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
the backup circuit gets power from the gauge fuse and goes through the body plug M1. Is you body plug hooked up and checked out?

It also appears to go through the instrument panel (J/B 3) so that may be your biggest issue.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
What about the yellow wire. Or other wire that’s not the red wire. One wire will be 12v with key on. The other will be 12v when in reverse

1jzpup

the backup circuit gets power from the gauge fuse and goes through the body plug M1. Is you body plug hooked up and checked out?

It also appears to go through the instrument panel (J/B 3) so that may be your biggest issue.
Im not running body plugs at all. I just have the engine harness (completely intact) just only using the ecu plugs and couple wires for grounds and coils and injectors. The reverse lights isnt a big deal its just seeing if it was a simple thing or not while i was making all my body wiring

1jzpup

IG+ 12V on with ignition
IG- is ground

View attachment 81625 View attachment 81627
All the gauges also have “E” as a terminal what is that supposed to be

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would guess that is ground (earth). Gauges typically need 12V, ground, and the sensor input.

My experience it usually says SE, since the gauge grounds are separated from the other grounds.

1jzpup

I would guess that is ground (earth). Gauges typically need 12V, ground, and the sensor input.

My experience it usually says SE, since the gauge grounds are separated from the other grounds.
I got all the IG- and E together for grounds, all the IG+ together for ignition switch power, at the tach there’s no terminal for signal wire, but at the speed o side (which I’m not messing with using) has a 4p, SI, IG+, E

1jzpup

Also I don’t seem to be getting any signal from my tach wire (before it goes into ecu) or my coolant temp wire

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I know you're not using the speedo, but for reference

4p, SPD signal out to ECU etc.
SI, VSS input signal from tranny
IG+, 12V ignition
E ground

Coolant signal is a variable resistance to ground. You won't see any voltage on it.
Tach should be getting its signal off of the ignitor.

Ok o got all gauges goin except the speedo only because I don’t know where to even start. If anyone has a pin out of what wires I need to track down that would be awesome, if not no big deal speedo isn’t priority