JZA70 return to the road and onwards to reliable performance

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
New engine mounts arrived as well. I assume mine have completely failed as the block is sitting at a 15 degree angle.

HKS_TRD

Authorized Seller
More details required on hood struts :)
I was looking at getting some but was under impression the couldn't be sent by air because they contain compressed gas?

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Yeah pretty sure that I just lucked out on the struts. I got a quote previously and they were moving them by air using Fedex.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Unpacked another box today.

Some windscreen washer nozzles from a Camry / Landcruiser et. al. which I am told work well.

Heater resistor block. I repaired this on my previous car, but a new one wasn't too expensive.

New front grills. So damn shiny!

This I didn't need, but the one on my car was messed up... so...

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
This build is getting out of control, me like!
It is getting the better of me slightly, but onwards and upwards :)

From the onset I've been clear that my goals for this car were not to compromise comfort or reliability of a street vehicle. Thought I would share a little of how I plan to get there.

Comfort sans squeaks and rattles - OEM suspension where available. I'll be running poly bushings but hopefully that does not take the NVH up too high.

Reliable performance? New oil pump seemed like a good start for engine health.

Does anyone have experience with a direct retrofit actuator for CT12A turbos?

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Not a fan of the Ohlins? I have seen a few for sale.

Have not really posted about the turbo setup yet, but few quick tests so far suggest that control issues are in my future if I do not replace the actuators.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Turbo details are Garrett GT2860RS in the factory CT12A housings.

All credit to Hybrid and ATS for creation of the turbos. Rest assured they will be used to potential.

Others have run similar setups since these were built, with some development opportunities identified along the way. With this in mind, I will be putting my own stamp on things before bolting them on.

I invested some time to understand wastegate and actuator options. Developed some testing to benchmark the factory units.

We had a public holiday on Monday, with some brilliant weather. Spent that outside keeping rust at bay.

New hydraulic water pump also arrived. Most of the parts have arrived now, should start to see some real progress soon.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Still chipping away at progress here. I couldn't bring myself to spend $350 AUD on an accessory belt tensioner, so decided to investigate the spare Hybrid was kind enough to send me. Pulled the thing apart and found the only wearing part is a bearing. Like all standard bearings it had part number on it, and $6.38 AUD got me a FAG 6203 RSR which is the same as what was in there.

Parts are still rolling in.

The wiring on my spare hanger had broken down, others had indicated similar. I plan to have this car for a long time, so opted for the safe approach.

Waiting on a bunch of hoses and engine internals, then things can really start to move :)

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
A huge box of hoses and assorted stuff arrived. Had a bit of a fail with vacuum line. Does anyone know the proper way to order this by the metre? I appear to have done it the expensive incorrect way...

Drop in replacement injectors arrived. 650 cc.

I will have to be careful not to get them mixed up with the stock items :)

Getting the garage ready. I put everything on wheels a while ago, which is paying off now.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I couldn't find the correct size locally here for vacuum line years ago when I replaced mine. Of all the places I looked the Nissan dealer was the only place that had it and the guy said he hadn't sold any in years and gave me a bunch for free haha

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Where did you get the part number from for the vacuum line?
I anticipate a local Toyota dealer was zero help with this?
lol.. well I got it from internet Toyota. I gave up on Australia Toyota a long time ago. I feel like these is some subtle detail in the Japanese bit which I am missing :)

Enjoying this build. Great attention to detail.
Thanks at lot. I don't know you, but your red car is actually one of the builds I have saved as inspiration and motivation. I remember reading as you were fixing it up, the quality at the end really blew my mind. If you can get yours to that standard, I'm sure I can have a go at half decent.

that is pretty funny what they did with the vac hose. I can only imagine the Japanese person on the other end going "oh well if that is what they want who am I to question" haha.
Well.. yeah.. it is funny in hindsight.

I couldn't find the correct size locally here for vacuum line years ago when I replaced mine. Of all the places I looked the Nissan dealer was the only place that had it and the guy said he hadn't sold any in years and gave me a bunch for free haha
Cheers I will go that option if I can't crack the Toyota code.

Happy birthday 1JZ...

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Still waiting on the engine internals to arrive.

Good news is that after an excruciating wait, the last part for fuel tank arrived. Tank itself is used, but it has been cleaned, externally coated, and everything in it will be brand new.

Using the time to distract myself with other things.

While the engine is out and AC system apart, I would like to reseal my AC compressor. A chance to learn something new plus I then know it has been done right.

The seals I want to use are HNBR. Unfortunately these are not available in Australia, nor can I find an online or ebay seller who will ship them here.

Is someone able to help me out by buying and sending them over? I would like to get 2 sets. Happy to paypal in advance plus some beer money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippondenso-10PA15-10PA17-AC-Compressor-Gasket-Shaft-Seal-Kit-A-C-ND-Denso/151419470942

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I don't mind getting it for you, I would need money in advance though. So long as you can trust me. I also recommend a seal protector/installer so you don't damage the shaft seal upon install.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Thanks a lot for that. I will PM you.

Have purchased the Denso 10PA shaft seal tool, thanks for the heads up :)

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Not a problem! I've resealed a few of these compressors now. Just make sure you use AC Mineral Oil on the seals for lube.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Yes orings dont like to be dry, I will make sure to do that.

Unsure about replacing the 2 x case bearings. From exploded view, they appear to be running in oil. I am tempted to leave them alone and just do the seals and clutch bearing. Is this ill advised?

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
As long as the compressor never ran low on oil you should be fine not replacing those. Ive never gone that far into it, I just end up replacing the seals.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Love it! Can't wait to see the interior with the fresh paint. My spare tire well needs some work too.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Looks amazing.
I shudder to think how much money this project will end up being, since you're using so many oem parts.

Not that it matters. :)

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
wow, that is really quite the build there. Very impressive!!

Where are you finding all these part numbers, that alone consumes more time then the restore a lot of the times!

Getting factory vac line in a roll would be very impressive, this is something that has eluded me for MANY years.

Do you just give the part numbers to Toyota dealerships near you to get the parts and do they discount them at all?

I had a hell of a time finding part numbers when I did my restore. I think it's safe to say that we should create a page with part numbers listed for everything anyone has bought in the past or present. I've tried using the EPC, but it's very time consuming finding most of the parts.

Another example of this is you have the denso numbers for the stock coils wihch I just found on amazon for 62$ if you bought from toyota it would be closer to 600$

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Wow this car is looking great!

Any progress pictures you can share with us? Also was your A/C conversion and compressor rebuild successful?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Looking good. Starting work on a JZA70 TT-R right now as well, some inspirational stuff in here, and a few pieces I wouldn't mind having, but the time has past for some of them from Toyota anywhere. :(

Jeff

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Looking good. Starting work on a JZA70 TT-R right now as well, some inspirational stuff in here, and a few pieces I wouldn't mind having, but the time has past for some of them from Toyota anywhere. :(

Jeff
Appreciate the kind words.

Can pinpoint many a number of times where I have saved your posts to guide my parts selection for this car.

I know what you mean about bits going extinct.

If there are specific JZA70 parts you cannot find please free to drop me a PM. I parted another 1992 JZA70 to build this car so have a lot of VGC used doubles.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Wow this car is looking great!

Any progress pictures you can share with us? Also was your A/C conversion and compressor rebuild successful?
Still TBA on the AC. The parts that you got for me are all installed though! I'm about to refill the oil. I figure I should take the lines off and fill it directly into top of compressor?

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Still TBA on the AC. The parts that you got for me are all installed though! I'm about to refill the oil. I figure I should take the lines off and fill it directly into top of compressor?
Yes sir, total oil capacity into the compressor.

The Swede

Authorized Seller
Building pace on the car, so parts are starting to roll in. It is a real goal to keep the car reliable, so don't want any ignition gremlins.

I bought my supra very! cheap just for that reson. the engine didn't run, changed the sparkplugs to original denso, purred like a cat when i started it
I used to work in a lokal Toyota dealer (sweden) and a common issue with problem with any Toyota is wrong sparkplugs.

Skickat från min K10000 via Tapatalk

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
huge inspiration!!! I actually bought a jza70 limited edition that I'm working on. Was having some ignition breakup that normal plugs didn't fix so ordered those same denso coils. We'll see how it works out. But yes your car is amazing and ive referenced this thread a bit already.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Car is registered!

Have some brakes issues and had to remove the rebuilt master cylinder.

Will hopefully have that sorted soon and get a chance to run up some km.

DeSloth

Authorized Seller
Build threads with no ending make me sad.

Belated update....

I am very time poor these days but I still own the car. It is still registered and I am driving and enjoying it.

I had to redo the the brakes due to a mystery issue and a minor hard-line leak. Also had a power steering pump fail.

Aside from those minor issues, the car has been very reliable.

Attachments