Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!"

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Here goes nothing. No turning back now. :yikes: I guessed at the fender liner profile by feel and gave myself about 3/8" of slack.

There is some gusseting that I will need to tie in to the replacement piece. Breaking the spot welds was a bit of a pain. I could have drilled them, but the thick undercoating made it hard to tell where they were.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
wow man project is coming out good...i like what u did for fuel cell nice job bro
Thanks!

Made some more progress today.

Trimmed the arch a bit to match the wheel well profile. I drilled the hole so that I could use a punch to hammer the gusset against the remaining wheel well to weld it.

Trimmed the gussets.

Welded the gussets to the edge of the remaining inner wheel well - forgot to take a picture.

New 16ga wheel well. 6"x24" piece for those taking notes at home.

Tacked.

The cryptic marks are my measurements. :)

Welded.

Some of the better welds.

Maybe I'll just keep it like this. Ghetto widebody. Should I do the fronts to match? :)

Note to self: flashlight lens self ignites when it comes in contact with molten steel. I was using it to see inside the wheel well with the welding mask on.

I got lots of minor burns welding inside the wheel well, and the MIG doesn't work that great welding overhead, the molten metal tends to drip down into the nozzle if you don't go extra slow. But enough whining, it's done. Just need to trim it to match the overlay profile, then on to the other side...

Last edited:

johnd

Authorized Seller
Contributor
keep working on thos flares, can't wait to see how it turns out.

PS. I bet that light still works :naughty:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Yeah the light still works. The lens keeps popping out now and takes the LED's with it.

I made a little progress tonight.

Trimmed the overlay for tire clearance.

Trimmed the fender well.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
More progress...

Ground the welds smooth.

Clecos. Didn't need them all the way around. The angle the overlay and fender meet at on the top edge aren't conducive to using them anyhow.

Underneath.

Driver's side is coming along.

On to the passenger side. First I bent the new wheel well metal to match the driver's side, then traced the profile on to the quarter panel.

Cut the outer skin.

Cut the wheel well. Much easier to do having the outer skin removed already, you can watch the cut-off wheel on the back side and make sure it's following the right path without having your head in the wheel well.

Trimmed the gussets.

Removed some undercoating. There is about 1/4 of rubber on there in some spots!!

Welded the gussets to the fender well.

Ground the welds smooth so they don't interfere with the new fender well piece.

New fender well piece marked for cutting.

Cut and tacked.

Welded.

Trimmed. Forgot to take pic.

Cleco'd up.

The passenger side went much quicker. Not so much guessing like the driver's side. :)

I need to start on shaving the fuel door opening, and prime the new wheel wells, then I can get the overlays glued down and start on feathering them in.

Last edited:

supra1008

Authorized Seller
Wow just wow!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! I was so tempted to fast forward through the whole thing! From the beginning to end, everything looks great! Top notch work! Can't wait to see it when it's done! Definitely subscribed!!! I might be stealing the elec speedo. Keep up the awesome work!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Thanks supra1008!

I made some progress over the weekend.

Started shaving the fuel door.

Crude mold - two layers of Tony's pizza boxes and some painter's plastic.

Here's the resin I use.

I only took pics of the first two layers which were cloth, after that I put on several layers of mat, which is not as pretty but is much stiffer when it hardens (that's what she said).

Primed the new wheel well pieces.

I also used some Eastwood inner frame coating, the stuff with the nozzle on a hose, to rustproof the top of the new wheel well pieces. I'm rather impressed by it.

Ground down the body to bare metal where the overlays would attach.

Seam sealer over the welds in case of any pin holes etc, this way we're 100% sure.

Here's what I used to glue down the fenders. Pricy, but amazing stuff. They've reformulated it since the last tube that I bought, it's easier to work with now since it's not quite as thick. The last tube was much thicker and harder to dispense and spread.

Glue applied.

Overlays are on.

24 hours later, clamps removed.

A boy and his toys.

Started feathering the edges and put on a first coat of Kitty Hair. Subsequent coats will be Rage Gold. I hate sanding fiberglass.

On a side note, I didn't put the butyl tape on the edges of the new wheel wells like in the Miata PDF, instead I intend to fiberglass them to the overlays for extra strength. Not that it's really needed, I could pull the body around on the dolly by the overlays and not worry about it, the glue is that strong. But it can't hurt.

Last edited:

lithium14

Authorized Seller
man it IS looking good!!! but hey I read over on SF that many ppl who did widebody kits were having issues with the natural flexing of the body breaking the seams with the widebody portions, which is why, they say, that many ppl who do widebody kits acutally rivet them on, even though it looks retarded. have you read anything about that? if so, do you have any plans to address this issue? I;m not sure if this was mainly a mk4 issue or if it applied to mk 3's as well

johnd

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm waiting to see if this turns out as nice as the cherry red supra guy's from BC, Damn can't remember his user name.
mK3 body is pretty stout, I know with my shaved moldings guys told me that with flex they would crack, 4 years of beating and nothing.
I wouldn't worry.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
<-- is super jealous of your widebody.

Super clean work. Cant wait to see the finished product with the s2 fenders.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Thanks for the comments all!

johnd - you're thinking of tekdeus. Yes his car is gorgeous.

I would sure hope there is no cracking. The adhesive I'm using is top notch stuff and is designed to flex slightly for that reason. I'll do the final glaze with Evercoat Poly-Flex and just hope for the best.

I'm still contemplating some more seam welding and body cavity foam before paint and assembly. That can't hurt either. Just don't want a squeaky car from the foam.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
We had family in town over the weekend, so nothing too major for updates. I worked a bit last night on blending the fenders in but there isn't really much to see.

mytmk3

Authorized Seller
Just poped in to see if you had started on the widebody all I can say is wow! And how have I not seen this before I love that front bar this thing is going to look amazing when it's back together

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Thanks redbullx83, mytymk3!

flyguyaaron, I assume you're talking about the gas springs for the doors? I'm not sure, I can check if they're marked.

The rear fenders are pretty much ready, they just need some primer. Now I'm waiting for the front fenders from the group buy, once I have those, I will start on the side skirts.

While I wait, I have been working on the front bumper. I decided to alter the shape a little bit. I originally went a different route, and never felt it was quite right.

Before:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...laaaaa!-quot&p=1287656&viewfull=1#post1287656

Currently - work in progress as always, and sorry for the lousy pics, forgot to grab the camera so I used my phone:

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
A little more progress:

I think I'll change it to a nice wide radius going into the side holes, right now it is pretty small.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
More bumper progress this weekend. I think I am finally close to the final shape. I widened the radius leading into the "outer" holes with the bars, and blended it into the face. I also tightened up the radius on the edges leading into the center hole, it now matches the top of the center hole.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Weekend progress - working on rear bumper and molding fitment.

Last edited:

lithium14

Authorized Seller
Lookin' good!! At least you got progress lmao... I just have an growing pile of parts I have no time to install... FML.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
We had a new arrival on Nov 2, a baby boy, ::w00t:: so car progress is completely stalled for a while.

I did receive the front fenders from the group buy last Friday. Call me crazy but I do intend on modifying those too. :yikes: Maybe by the time the kids are driving the car will be ready :)

Having the front fenders does mean that progress on the body work can continue, as they were a prerequisite to attaching the side skirts.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
Better start saving now, might take an entire college fund to buy a clean MKIV in 16 years...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Finally got around to test fitting the front fenders:

Wide profile vs stock profile:

How much wider?

They sat about 10mm or so too far in at the top, so I had to use a spacer bolt on one of the tabs to push it out to match the doors. I'm not sure why this is - the top attachment lip wasn't at 90 degrees, so I think it may have had some influence on the positioning. I'm not sure whether I'll modify the attachment tab, or just leave the bolt as-is. I'll need to add some material to fill the gap between the fender and the A-pillar as well.

Need to fit the other side and check the fit with the hood as well. I think the shape is a bit too aggressive for my taste, so I will be keeping the width, but modifying the profile a little bit to be somewhere between factory and extreme, and better match the profile of the rears.

Last edited:

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Authorized Seller
Contributor
:yikes:...I thought these fenders were plug and play? How much would you think (cost) to have these fenders fixed (fitted) by the body shop? If, one self doesn't have the knowledge to do the work...ball park figure?

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
:yikes:...I thought these fenders were plug and play? How much would you think (cost) to have these fenders fixed (fitted) by the body shop? If, one self doesn't have the knowledge to do the work...ball park figure?
I'm not sure what the deal is, if it's just mine that's off, or if it's both sides even. It shouldn't add much to the cost if you're already paying them to install, prep, and paint them.

great f***ing thread man...motivation!!!!
Thanks!

mytmk3

Authorized Seller
wow 42mm wider thats huge lol im definitly going to need some spacers on the front.

how much wider exactly were the rears I was told 40mm but would be interested to see what they actualy end up as too

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Thanks for sharing your progress on the widebody. These original S2 fenders were test fitted by Shine. Adjustments were made prior to the fender mold production. There should be no gap between the A-pillar and fender. Check out the pics on page 1 of the group buy thread.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...e-Front-Wide-Body-Fenders-by-Shineautoproject
Unfortunately mine don't fit like that. There is definitely something off with the fitment. The rest of the body is straight as an arrow, and the factory fenders were bolted up with perfect fitment. I measured vs the stock fender and from the front edge where it meets the nose piece to the spot where it meets the back of the hood is about 3/16" shorter than stock. It's not really a big deal to me though - the issues are minor and I can fix them. Basically, what I see is that the top lip isn't 90 degrees, more like 75 or 80, when I bolted just the top on, the bottom of the fender stuck out from the car about a foot, and I had to caress it down in to place. It's trimmed about 3/16" too short where it meets the A-pillar, and the A-pillar mounting tab is about 3/8" too shallow, both as pictured.

I haven't bolted up the other side yet, I just bought another project for a new daily driver so it has priority until it's running.

wow 42mm wider thats huge lol im definitly going to need some spacers on the front.

how much wider exactly were the rears I was told 40mm but would be interested to see what they actualy end up as too
I didn't take measurements but they are about 50mm I believe.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Well folks, I have some sad news.

When I started this project I was a single guy with a passion for cars and a paycheck to kill. Now I'm at a different life stage, and raising a family is priority. Between lack of time, lack of space, lack of "fun" money, and just a general shift of priorities, I've decided to call off this project as a whole. I think I will continue working on the bare shell, and perhaps keep it to finish it at a later date. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't an easy decision - I have a lot invested into custom work on this car, and the community is fantastic. When it comes down to it though, kids > car :)

For those interested, I will start a part-out thread in a couple weeks, once I've had the chance to finish some other projects and take inventory and pictures.