Jimi's build update

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller
*EDIT* Here is a run down for the pics in this thread:

This page- FFIM, engine, exhaust, gauges.....
Page 3 (post #29)- More pics and info on the radiator
Page 7 (post #69)- Info and pics about the air box
Page 18 (post #174)- First pics of the exterior [before suspention and rims]
Page 19 (post #189)- Close up pics of the "vents"
Page 21 (post #208)- Fab up of the cat back
Page 22 (post #218)- Tein SS's
Page 23 (post #221 & 224)- A1 arms, car lowered
Page 24 (post #231)- Rims mounted
Page 27 (post #270)- HKS BOV and new Bumper
Page 30 (post #291)- A step back in time when the build actually started. Aluminum flywheel, RPS clutch, rebuilt turbo, new fuel line setup, FFIM fab up, start of the down pipe, 70mm TB, EGT install.
Page 31 (post #301)- Maft Pro (with speed density and boost control), Aeromotive AFPR, LIPP AFPR Install Kit, FP Gauge (for under the hood), Walbro 255, RC 550 Injectors & Clips
Page 34 (post #335-336)- Modded 00-03 Celica steering wheel
Page 36 (post #352)- New seats (Corbeau GTS II), Wale-tail mounted, Steering wheel installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok finally a build update for the SM crew. If you didn't see my last updates they can be found here: Previous updates

Any how, on with the show.
I got the DP done, w/electric dump installed. You can see in one of the pics how nicely it tucks under the car, (the turn down was not installed in the pic, it does stick down further than the pipe).

The heat shield for the DP is made from a 4", 90* aluminum IC elbow. The heat shield on the manifold is a sheet of aluminum that was bead rolled. (the stock manifold shield is also underneath).

I fabbed up my own air box out of sheets of ABS w/ a LEXAN lid. (I'm running an APEXI filter). The AFM to turbo pipe is a 3", 45* aluminum elbow. So the power steering reservoir was moved (its the aluminum bottle closest to the fender, the other one is the coolant over flow).

The radiator is an aluminum duel 1" core "mustang" radiator. The fan is a [strike]16" Perma-Cool High Performance[/strike] Electric Fan (is now a black magic fan). It takes some fab work to make it all fit, It's not a drop in, factory mounts had to be cut off and new ones fabbed up. The aluminum sheet on top is part of the upper tie down, there is an aluminum "L" channel under it to help. The stock T-stat housing was rotated to accommodate (I wanted that way, hence the "mustang" style rad). Two air bleeding spots were implemented to help get all the air out. One is a "system flush" adapter installed on the hose leading to the heater core valve. The second is located at the turbo coolant line, it is a 3 way adapter ( barb end + barb end + NPT) On the NPT, a petcock was installed. So all the high points of the system can be "burped".

The IC is a SPEARCO bar and plate, with custom cast end tanks welded on. CORE size is 23 x 12 x 3. All IC pipes are 2.5". The length including couplers, along the center line: hot side is 36", cold side is 35". T-bolts were the clamp of choice.

The instrument cluster was modified to accommodate the Auto Meter gauges, Sorry I did not take pics of the process. Also the ash tray was removed and made way for even more gauges. The switch controls the electric dump.

I got the alternator bracket done. And it totally replaces the stock one.

Well it's late, so thats all I can think of at the moment, there is a lot more to do to her. But at least she is breathing........

Down pipe tucked, no lower than frame rail, except for the bracket.....

MORE>>>>>

Last edited:

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Authorized Seller
Re: jimi's offical build update

looks great dude, and thats a bad ass downpipe

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Authorized Seller

All I have to say is WOW. No! wait thats not true. Damn.

You need to do a write up on the heat shield for the Air filter. Thats too sweet.

Last edited:

Suprastic

Authorized Seller

lookin great. What did you use to paint you gauge needles red. Will they still iluminate at night? I want to do the same since the amber in fugly.

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Thanks guys, I'll try to put something together for info on the air box.
As far as the needles, I CAREFULLY removed them, and the stock amber color was scraped off with an Xacto blade, and then I repainted them red. Yep, they illuminate at night, just don't paint the entire needle, just the part that had the stock paint.

dbsupra90

toonar
Authorized Seller

looks good man.
is that a ford professional products power tbody?
one thing i might change would be the breathers on the valve covers. that is gonna leave an oil mist on your motor and components. might consider making a catch can.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Authorized Seller
Contributor

F'n top notch fabrication there! I love that air box, the ffi, the dp, everything is very clean, nice and tiddy! A++++

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Authorized Seller

jimi87-t said:
^^Thanks, I'm in Arlington TX also.
no kidding, where in arlington are u?? im from over round Green Oaks and Bowen, id love to come see that in person some time...its bad ass

BigTex

Authorized Seller

Looks good Jimi. An I'm right down the road from Arlington in Grand Prairie.

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Thanks a lot guys,

Yes, that is a professional products power TB for a 5.0 stang (70mm), more info on that can be found in my past updates. Yeah, I'm planning on getting a catch can, I just havent got around to getting one yet, and finding a "clean" place to install it.

Local note, We should all set up a meet,

Last edited:

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
Authorized Seller

:love: very nice, dude! its people like you that make me want to stick w/ supras!

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Authorized Seller

Man I can't stop looking at your engine bay.

When I do my rebuild, if I can get it to looking as half as professional as yours, rons , and some other guys on this forum I will be very happy.

Okay enough kissing of the asses, lol

What would you say was the most difficult part of your rebuild?

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Great job so far, but the down pipe needs a little work. Great idea, wrong fabrication. The 90 exit on the cutout will "possbily" do nothing more in helping your exhaust than making alot of noise.

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Hey, thanks again guys,

What would you say was the most difficult part of your rebuild?
I would have to say the most difficult part so far, was actually the gauge cluster install,( of all things!). The Auto Meter gauges need a lot of space behind them, so I ended up having to try installing the cluster 3-4 times until it all fit. While at the same time not trying to pinch any of the lines feeding the gauges. Seems weird that it would the most difficult part, but it was more frustrating than any thing else.

The 90 exit on the cutout will "possbily" do nothing more in helping your exhaust than making alot of noise.
I can see why you would say that, But the main thing a cut out does is to relieve back pressure and not to flow the entire exhaust. So any (or most) of the added restriction from the CAT and muffler, are relieved out of the cut out (controlled exhaust leak). Yes, it would flow more if it were in the same line as the down pipe, but there is no easy way to do that with out F'n up the "normal" flow and it is not necessary. Also, seeing as how I will be running most of the time with the dump closed, the arrangement was set up to be more beneficial for closed. And there is not enough space for the electric dump to run it at a 45* off the pipe.

I was originally going to put it at the last bend pointing down(the 45* after the SS flex), and that would have put it in line with the flow, but again, there was not enough space for the electric valve. And it would have ended up messing up the "closed" flow.

So basically, it was the last resort to put it where it is. As to allow the electric valve to clear, can't hang down under the car (the car will be lowered), and not to F-up normal (closed) flow.

Read this guys set up, he ran into some of the same problems with his vet:Vet dump
Original Idea

Plan "B"

Last edited:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Is this the best engine bay ever shown on sm? Possibly. The entire thing is form only for function, nothing isn't made exactly the way it is so it does anything other than function. Sure some things are polished, but man, your work, and the pride you have poured into this project surely are showing, and everyone notices.
eric

Demianu27

Authorized Seller

Can I drop my car off at your house to get it turned into a replica of yours?

How much?:icon_bigg :biglaugh:

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Wow, I just walked out into the garage and she's blushing.

But seriously, thanks a lot guys for all the comments and complements.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

jimi87-t: I'm awestruck.
Also, post pics of the supe blushing. That, I gotta see. lol
Excellent work, man. I take it you come from a Mustang background?

:edit: please show how you made the mustang rad work, because, IIRC, isnt the inlet/outlet perfectly opposite to our original configuration?
thanks

empera

<B>Authorized Vendor</B>
Authorized Seller
Contributor

nice stuff

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Well for anyone keeping up, I found the air leak. It was just a vac line that I forgot to hook up for the heater valve:icon_redf

But, a new irritation has popped up, valve clatter at about 2500 rpms. Car sounds like a mercedes diesel, but only at 2500. Quiet as a mouse, at start up, before 2500, and after 2500.

I double checked to make sure it wasn't knock by unplugging spark plug wires, it didn't go away. So I figure Jarco did a half ass job on the shims.

Car is not throwing any codes, I just get a steady blink. So no problems there.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

What the hell are you running for wheels/tires?? lol, they look real skinny, and hardly "H" rated...

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Thanks guys!

Yep, I come from a mustang background, how could ya tell, HAHA. Actually I do, There is a 67 parked next to the Sup in the garage, but that didn't influence me picking parts for the Sup, it just happened to work that way. (also the gauge pillar is for a stang, haha, until I get my full replacement pillar. It was a cheap alternative -$29- I found at the parts place just to get her up and running).

I wanted the Mustang "style" rad for the lay out, and yes it's opposite of stock. Even so, I have the lower hose coming out in front of the PS pump and not wrapping around behind, I was able to do so because the PS reservoir was moved and the mounting tab was cut off. So the flow is actually more direct. Not to mention this rad was way cheaper cost wise than a stock aluminum replacement (domestic performance parts usually are, just like the TB). And it has a little more surface area too. I'll try to get pics of the underside to show the mount I fabbed up.

supra90turbo said:
What the hell are you running for wheels/tires?? lol, they look real skinny, and hardly "H" rated...
HAHA, they are the stockers, came with the car when I bought it, over 3 years ago ( I've only driven the car MAYBE 10 times since I bought it) Yeah traction is a problem, I drove it for the first time today after getting her running, tires broke lose pulling out of the drive, taking off onto road, around almost every corner, and pulling back into the drive. And this was all while trying to keep the revs down for the fresh build. (I think it has more to do with the 70mm TB being too sensitive)

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

So, is the lower hose coming out of the LH side of the radiator? Or are they both on the same side vis-a-vis a Scirocco radiator?

Also, is it possible to give me some dimensions on that radiator? Is it for a '67 or possibly Fox Body? I've been looking at radiators for that same purpose. I want to get rid of the factory upper hose routing. i feel it cleans up the front of the engine immensely.

If you're looking for an A-Pillar guage pod, I have a Lotek one here that I could get rid of. It's for 60mm gauges, however...

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

It's a cross flow rad, so the outlet is on the driver side. The dimensions are: 26" x 19" according to the manufacture, (I measured it as 26" x 18.5"). It's a tight squeeze, but it clears all the AC and PS lines running along the inside of the frame rails. It's not for a 67 (the 67 rad is smaller). It is a universal, with a mustang lay out. So it's not really made for a specific car. The only thing about it is clearing all the pulleys and belts with the lower hose. I can barely fit my finger between the AC compressor pulley and the outlet hose on the rad. The lower hose also had to be secured to the fan bracket to miss the crank pulley. I will get some pics and post them up. Here is a linkJegs RAD.
Is the pillar for only one gauge? I only need one.

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Ok here are some pics, hope these help, the lower mount is made of steel.

^^^There is a diagram for ya, blue = steel mount, red= rubber pad

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

And no, sarichmond, I have not forgot to put something together to show the air box. I just can't seem to get good pics, everything is black, so it's hard to see.

Side note I got an 89+ CC installed today, and put red LEDs in place of the green ones.

sarichmond

Vehicular Motion
Authorized Seller

No worries. I can wait for a while. Get your sweet A$$ ride on the road first. lol

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

NICE!! Thanks Jimi, that's great, and nice diagram! ;)
It seems a bit tall, though, isnt it? It looks like the bottom goes quite a bit lower than the original lower mounts, no?

I'm sure there will be no issues, though. Can't argue with the price at all!

Also, sorry, my A-Pillar pod is a two gauge.

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

Thanks guys

Get your sweet A$$ ride on the road first
Haha, I'm working on it:biglaugh:

It looks like the bottom goes quite a bit lower than the original lower mounts
It does hang lower than the stock, but I think the pic makes it look lower than it is. I could even move it up about an inch if I wanted to. When the fenders were off, I could see the clearance from the side, I still have plenty of room before the cap would hit the hood.

I'm actually going to build a block off/ tunnel from the bottom of the IC to the rad to help force all the air into the rad instead of going under, but as of yet temps are staying dead on, even with only one fan.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem, Jimi, just being a nitpick.
I'm hoping to make a shroud for my IC as well, I even have been tossing around the idea of a v-mount... but that's for much later when I can actually think about that. Building the engine is first!
What I think i'm going to end up doing, however is I'm probably going to pick up a Scirocco style radiator inside the support area where the AC condenser should be.
Time will tell, on that one, though.

jimi87-t

Authorized Seller

supra90turbo said:
What I think i'm going to end up doing, however is I'm probably going to pick up a Scirocco style radiator inside the support area where the AC condenser should be.
That would be kick arse!

89Turbo

Authorized Seller

absolutely fuckin love it man, just a suggestion, ditch the TEMS covers.....

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Authorized Seller
Contributor

I'm hoping it will, Jimi.
Now just to go gather up some measurements, which is difficult, since my garage is not heated/insulated and any time spent in there is cold... so I'm just putting it off... I'm supposed to be getting a Diesel heater for that place, but "out of sight, out of mind" I dont think about it, it's been too cold! By the time I start seriously thinking about a heater for that place, it's gonna be April, and I wont have to bother with it, lol.

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Authorized Seller

wow that radiator is a monster