Jake's mkIII V8 killer

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
So starting a thread about my car a bit late. My name is Jake i am from Minnesota. A little background on me I am a Universal Technical Institute graduate having a 4.0 GPA, and taking the Toyota specially training. Now working at a Toyota dealer as a master certified technician (also certified in those damn hybrids:greddy2:) I have had Supras for 3 years now. On number 2. The first one was a 1986.5 tan auto, non-turbo, targa, w/ABS... there begins the story.

Driving home from a friends place coming around a corner hit the brake for a "T" in the road. ABS bleed solenoid opens up. Pedal drops to the floor, tried pumping it up a few times still nothing. Well here goes, try for the left turn (mind you i have crappy tires on the back) end up spinning out into a lake.:1zhelp: Luckily I was in a supra so i didnt roll when i hit the dirt otherwise I would be dead. Get out of my car and am up to my chest in water. Get it towed home try and dry it out best i can. Have it cranking over but no spark interior is all wet everything still works just no spark.

Well in the mean time I am looking around for another one hopefully turbo. One day I was looking on craigslist and see one. 1986.5 turbo, manual swap, non-targa, NON-ABS!.:love: Only thing is it had some front end damage. Hood, front right fender, front bumper, headlight all destroyed. Ran nice just needed body parts. Well it turns out it was even the same color that damn tan 2 tone as my first. While i was working the guy down on price I was saying where am I going to find parts for this car. After the keys and title were in my hand I informed the guy I had a parts car in the driveway:evil2:. This was about 2 years ago late January 2007.

So i spent the rest of the winter and spring getting the car ready to drive all of the body work fixed up. Doing some minor engine mods FPR, dampener eliminator, 255 walbro fuel pump, POS home made intercooler piping. Also cleaned up some of the mess with the tranny swap that the last owner had. also got all of the little things working. Drivers window with an intermittent problem due to the switch contacts not working right. Just had it prime and ready to rock.:naughty:

SO:
I think the Supra gods hate me with the next remark. First day I have it running and looking nice:icon_bigg I am coming back from the gas station, half mile from home my road and all. 50 mph speed limit doing about that, no really I was, I get T-boned by a dumb B**** in a Honda.:evil5: Pass rear quarter, bent my control arm. broke my rear wheel knuckle, blew my tire, took a 6 inch section out of my drilled and slotted rotors just like perforated paper, spun me into a light pole and smashed my rear bumper.:aigo: I was so SO SO pissed. We both were ok, but I was almost in tears looking at my second supra smashed up. There was $5,700 in damage to mine. just her front bumper was gone. She got a ticket for "failer to yield at a stop sign" and was at fault. My car was totaled out. Got a call from her insurance saying they will give me $2400 for the accident because that was what my car was worth and take the car. I asked what if i want to keep the car. Well then we will just take what the car is worth off of you cash return. $100 they said. I told them done.:icon_razz

I few weeks later still depressed about my 2 cars going to hell and dealing with stupid women I got pissed and said I am not sleeping til i drive my car again. I took all i needed off of the swamp buggie and put it on my turbo. Drove it that night. Ran great, drove ok. Took it to work the next day and aligned it and it was prime again. Well with a few extra dents in it.:3d_frown:

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
30+ years playing cars and I've never had a bleeder just "open" how does that happen? ;)
I wasnt sure myself until I had an avalon at work like a 98 or so, It had an intermittent abs light for a speed sensor. I stepped on the brakes kicked in the abs and there was nothing there 2 or 3 times. I had to stop with the parking brake. Once i had stopped i drove it and there was no problems at all. So that is my theory on how or why it happened. I could go out to the car right now and have a sky high brake pedal it is odd i know.

upgradedsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
give me a second. I just got photobucket I am uploading as i am typing this. how do you put the pics on the forum?
If you are using PB it's easy.

Click on image code and by doing that it will be copied or if not, then right click to copy your image.

Example:

So you can see it, I took out part of the code. It's missing the [ in front of this code.

IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/upgradedsupra/icon_postwhore.gif[/IMG]

Duane

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
This was after I got it running ant together the first time... all but the front bumper. Still hadn't see the road yet... working out a few things still.

This is me warming it up in the winter right outside its sleeping spot, the barn. After I was t-boned.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Authorized Seller
Welcome. You really have some bad supra luck.

I am in St.Cloud. I think you might need a bit more to take down some real v8s (ie aim high and take out some vettes!)

SySt

Authorized Seller
when i have my motor back in my car I will try anything once... why a v8 supra?
I put the V8 in my Supra because it was lighter than stock, aftermarket parts more attainable and cheaper, no more turbo and lots of low-rpm torque. Plus, at the point I was at with my 7M I was going to need a new turbo, fuel system, piggy back etc. It probably cost me close to the same to put the V8 in that it would have cost me to upgrade my 7M.

By the way, my Supra is also an '87 two-tone with rear bumper damage.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Authorized Seller
Yes or a CTS-V as much as you love hearing how fast your daily is......
Not that is isn't fast, comfortable and just not right for a four door.

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
Welcome. You really have some bad supra luck.

I am in St.Cloud. I think you might need a bit more to take down some real v8s (ie aim high and take out some vettes!)
So you all havent let me get to the next part of my story... BHG. that was the summer that i got it. so 2 years ago. I had that fixed, not the way i wanted to. My dad was giving me crap... dont fix it til it is broken. So last summer maxing out my ct-27 i got a bit of a rod knock. Then icing on the cake was when i was racing another black mk3 down I-94 upwards of 120-125 mph. Get off the freeway having a major engine knock now no oil pressure anymore. My first thought was, ha i won. Next thought was now i get to fix my motor the right way

At that point my list of parts where

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
Custom intercooler piping
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Now my motor is at the machine shop. it is getting

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank
South bend Stage 5 clutch, kryo treated
All of these combined and balanced

That is just the bottom half. So i am on my way to being a V8 killer, and yes Vettes are on my list. I wont for get about the CTS-V either. Anyone can wax a 5.0 mustang or a transmarobird

SySt

Authorized Seller
So you all havent let me get to the next part of my story... BHG. that was the summer that i got it. so 2 years ago. I had that fixed, not the way i wanted to. My dad was giving me crap... dont fix it til it is broken. So last summer maxing out my ct-27 i got a bit of a rod knock. Then icing on the cake was when i was racing another black mk3 down I-94 upwards of 120-125 mph. Get off the freeway having a major engine knock now no oil pressure anymore. My first thought was, ha i won. Next thought was now i get to fix my motor the right way

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank

That is just the bottom half. So i am on my way to being a V8 killer, and yes Vettes are on my list. I wont for get about the CTS-V either. Anyone can wax a 5.0 mustang or a transmarobird
Sounds like you have a decent base for making a good amount of power. You shouldn't have any trouble whipping up on stock Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, F-Bodies etc. However I wouldn't underestimate anyone of those modded.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Authorized Seller

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank

Takes a bit more to make great power.

As people have stated drop the underdrive.

A stock motor can handle alot with a good tune if it is in good condition.

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
Or lose your motor. You decide.

Get an ATI Super Damper, or a good stock unit. (ATI would be a better bet)
I know I really dont like the idea of that. my factory one is messed up along with my factory crank. so I got a different crank and now i would really like to find a factory balancer. they are 400 or so new is the problem if you have a line on a ATI or more info that would be great... havent heard much about them. thanks for the input:icon_bigg

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Authorized Seller
I know I really dont like the idea of that. my factory one is messed up along with my factory crank. so I got a different crank and now i would really like to find a factory balancer. they are 400 or so new is the problem if you have a line on a ATI or more info that would be great... havent heard much about them. thanks for the input:icon_bigg
$25 up here in st.cloud I have one lying there doing nothing off an 87 turbo.

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
So what are the next steps you are going to take?
Motor is at the machine shop. It is going to be .020 over. Fully balanced. Going to have my valves ground and re-shimmed. Going to use a MHG also. Step up the turbo to a Boss series not sure what trim yet. Thinking Stage 5 61 trim GTS cover, triple ceramic ball bearing. And some other fun hard parts. I am still unsure if I am going to run E85. That was my plan for a while just still thinking it through.

Once i get my bottom end and head back I am going to clean them up. Fire up the good old torpedo heater and get crackin' to put it all back in the car and have it running by the time the salt is off the roads.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Authorized Seller
Motor is at the machine shop. It is going to be .020 over. Fully balanced. Going to have my valves ground and re-shimmed. Going to use a MHG also. Step up the turbo to a Boss series not sure what trim yet. Thinking Stage 5 61 trim GTS cover, triple ceramic ball bearing. And some other fun hard parts. I am still unsure if I am going to run E85. That was my plan for a while just still thinking it through.

Once i get my bottom end and head back I am going to clean them up. Fire up the good old torpedo heater and get crackin' to put it all back in the car and have it running by the time the salt is off the roads.
Sounds like a plan make sure to make it to the MN supra meet this summer.

SySt

Authorized Seller
Sounds like yet another bummer for the MKIII crowd around her in MN. BTW thats where I am from. Give me more details, I have more to follow.
Yes, I can help in this perdicamante as I can others. Now why should I help these perfectly good engineers do what they do best? Fail?

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
Yes, I can help in this perdicamante as I can others. Now why should I help these perfectly good engineers do what they do best? Fail?
I dont think that the really failed... it was all good until i boosted the crap out of it and basically blew it on purpose. Why fix it until it is broken. So I broke it now I have to fix it:biggrinbo

scubajtw

<B>SupraSport</B>
Authorized Seller
So I have been tearing some more down. Making a few additions to the interior, and having some fun in the freezing cold of Minnesota

To start with it is cold in MN right now. That is after running the heater for a while!

The life saver!

My buddies thought that they would be funny and write stuff on my car.

TRASH... ARP studs here i come

This is what happens if you use the wrong crank bolt... Also trash.

Plugged the EGR port from cylinder 6. Also running a block off plate.

My dual Walbro setup. Just modified the factory bracket.

More pictures are on the way.