Intermittent no start, clutch safety swith by-passed

shadowman1977

Authorized Seller
Hey all, anyone have issues with the starter not turning over ever so often or the clutch safety switch being somehow by-passed? I can start the car without pushing in the clutch, it’s a euro import but it has a switch on the clutch pedal.
I have put in a new starter, direct ground from starter body to engine to frame, new cables, alternator and battery with new terminals.
I’m thinking its the thin wire going to the solenoid. Gonna replace that connection and see.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
the problem is with the smaller signal wire. prolly somewhere around the starter relay area.

majestic47

Authorized Seller
Did you find a fix? I'm having a very similar issue on my 1990 JZA70. Its very rare that it happens, but its usually if I stop somewhere to get gas or whatever. When I turn the key I get a solid "click" from the l/h side of the car, along with dimming of the lights in the dash, but the starter doesn't crank.

From the wiring diagram I'm looking at, the JZA70 has no starter relay.
http://www.supra.co.nz/jza70/tewd/2-8.html

I'll do a voltage drop test on that small wire here in the next few days, time permitting.

Hopefully it checks good, but I don't know what would be more of a hassle to replace, the wire or the starter.