Ingition on but not starting 7M-GTE

SR_70MGTE

Hi,

My car has been broken into and the ignition lock is gone. I am trying to start by only using the ing. Switch itself but it will not crank, not even a tic from thr relay.

I have searched for the theft deterrent computer, thinking it may have something to do with it. Searching the steering column, firewall around the steering, by the brake pedal etc, but can not find it anywhere.

Anybody have any good ideas for me to search for next. Dose theignition have to be a rebuilt for me to start the engine ? Any other way to make it run again while waiting for new locks and ignition switch.

Thanks !

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The electrical switch behind the mechanical lock is all that there is. There is no rfid key or anything fancy. You do need to disarm the TDE to get the starter to engage. Does the switch turn on the dash lights and accessories? Do you hear a click from the passenger kick panel when you try to crank?

Reactions: SR_70MGTE

SR_70MGTE

There is light in the dash, ignition mode is lit up, abs kicks in, turning the ign further to start only gives «voltage» reactions to the instruments, but no clicking on the passenger side.

Is there another location for the TDE ? I have a European model, might be some differences in reg. To US models ? Will the start relay click even if the TDE has been triggered ?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
There is light in the dash, ignition mode is lit up, abs kicks in, turning the ign further to start only gives «voltage» reactions to the instruments, but no clicking on the passenger side.

Is there another location for the TDE ? I have a European model, might be some differences in reg. To US models ? Will the start relay click even if the TDE has been triggered ?
Nope,

that is exactly what it is meant for.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Its quite a common failure for the starter solenoid to not engage.
You might want to see if you get 12V at the solenoid wire on the starter.

SR_70MGTE

Will check the current on the starter.

For further investigation ....... any chance that the TDE could be located behind the instrument panel inside the dash ? Just want to ask before i go ahead and dismantle a whole lot.

Thanks so far for helpful info !

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
No Need to dismantle.

At least on the US model, it is right by the brake pedal mount behind the gauges. If you stick your head underneath that area where the pedals are and look up. it is a little black box above a green box.

SR_70MGTE

Must be really well hidden, i have seen the green box above the column, but nothing else. I will give it another try. Guess i gotta reach further up there behind the column.

SR_70MGTE

No Need to dismantle.

At least on the US model, it is right by the brake pedal mount behind the gauges. If you stick your head underneath that area where the pedals are and look up. it is a little black box above a green box.
I searched the whole inner column area, found cruise control module, decided to pull the instument panel to get a proper view ........ there is no TDC , dont know who pulled it out or if its ever been there.
Next i will be chasing the starter relay issue, found that the relay is not the correct one for starter relay .....