I need a favor from those still running the stock IACV on the 7M......

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
While your baby is all warmed up, with a screwdriver handle or equivalent, can you tap on your IACV and tell me if it causes any change to the idle, either up or down? I would really appreciate it if a few of you could do that and get back to me.

I'm sure you're wondering why this request, but it's because when I tap on mine while it's idling, it cause the idle to drop so low that it will stall if I don't blip the throttle in time to prevent the stall. I've resistance checked the IACV already. I've thoroughly and carefully cleaned it, inside and out. And I also bench-tested it to know that the arm is moving back and forth as it should per the TSRM. It passed all the checks, yet still I can tap on it and it causes it to act a fool. I'm highly aware that tapping on any component that yields an output change is generally a bad sign for the component, but before I clean, test, and install my spare IACV, I wanted to see if this can be confirmed by my fellow Supra peoples. Thank you!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I actually got back from a couple hour cruise up north.
Engine bay is very hot.
I started it up again and tapped on the iacv in a bunch of different places per your request.
No change, didn't do anything to the idle.

Smacked it hard a couple times.

Not sure why it would cause a weird idle issue, it's a stepper motor.
Requires a sequence of coils to be energize in a specific order to move the position.
Odd.

Reactions: figgie and the t3d

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
I actually got back from a couple hour cruise up north.
Engine bay is very hot.
I started it up again and tapped on the iacv in a bunch of different places per your request.
No change, didn't do anything to the idle.

Smacked it hard a couple times.

Not sure why it would cause a weird idle issue, it's a stepper motor.
Requires a sequence of coils to be energize in a specific order to move the position.
Odd.
lol it's funny to visualize you doing that to the IACV, but I really appreciate it. And I agree, it's odd. I can wiggle the connector and harness attached to it and no change, but yeah tapping on it makes it want to stall unless I catch it on time. Hopefully, I can get a couple more people to confirm this as well. Thanks dude.

Hey.Friend

When I was having idle issues, one of the first things I tried was tapping on my IACV. I got no results from doing this. Could it be the connector on the wiring harness itself?

the t3d

P B4 A
Authorized Seller
When I was having idle issues, one of the first things I tried was tapping on my IACV. I got no results from doing this. Could it be the connector on the wiring harness itself?
Surprisingly not. When I shake the connector and harness, there's no change. It's only if I tap on the black part of the IACV. I have a spare that I am going to install after it passes the bench testing. I just spent like 2 hours taking it apart and cleaning it. But what it sounds like is that there is a problem with mine if no one else is seeing any changes from tapping on theirs.

Reactions: Hey.Friend and Clip

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Just went on an hour cruise, came back and tapped all over on the IACV - no changes in idle speed.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
interesting, I have a freshly built 7m on emu classic. Before the rebuild I would have this issue where the idle would just hunt intermittently from 500rpm-1600ish rpm.. After the rebuild and thoroughly cleaning iacv and mostly new parts, redone harness, etc it will still intermittently hunt... Well now that i have a KN filter on the iac getting rid of the long hose across the motor you can hear the iac. I noticed yesterday after my workout I started the car and it was hunting, I couldnt hear the IAC. I tapped on it a few times and boom the idle smoothed right out.

Maybe it's time to move onto a remote mount ford unit?