Hi all. New here but regular at SupraForums.com

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
Hi all. I've been posting for just shy of a year at SupraForums and wanted to be part of the group here as well. I recently put my 87T-R154 back on the road after 2 back to back 10 year parkings.

I think I'm the 3rd owner, and bought it back in Sept 1995. I drove it daily until 2000 and then parked it till 2008. Messed around for about a year, and parked it again in 2009.

I've done quite a bit to restore it fun-to-drive shape again in the last 9 months and I'll post some pictures of the projects.

I'm sad that I somehow missed out on the last 20 years of activity, but it some ways I'm glad the car is here today, essentially just how it was when I bought it.

Attachments

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hi all. I've been posting for just shy of a year at SupraForums and wanted to be part of the group here as well. I recently put my 87T-R154 back on the road after 2 back to back 10 year parkings.

I think I'm the 3rd owner, and bought it back in Sept 1995. I drove it daily until 2000 and then parked it till 2008. Messed around for about a year, and parked it again in 2009.

I've done quite a bit to restore it fun-to-drive shape again in the last 9 months and I'll post some pictures of the projects.

I'm sad that I somehow missed out on the last 20 years of activity, but it some ways I'm glad the car is here today, essentially just how it was when I bought it.
Welcome. I think a lot of us are members there, too. I haven't been on there much though. It's still nice to go poke around occasionally.

I understand long parkings :) Mine hasn't been driven since 2006. It gets closer as I get older.

Uploading photos is prolly easiest from a phone so you can select the photo size. This site is storing photos locally in order to avoid the PhotoBucket nonsense. Several thousand photos were restored to a lot of old threads here. If you upload photos from a PC you usually have to take an extra step to scale them down. You can also use links if you prefer to a photo storage site, but having the photos stored here keeps valuable threads in tack.

Reactions: Dumeinao

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
Welcome. I think a lot of us are members there, too. I haven't been on there much though. It's still nice to go poke around occasionally.

I understand long parkings :) Mine hasn't been driven since 2006. It gets closer as I get older.

Uploading photos is prolly easiest from a phone so you can select the photo size. This site is storing photos locally in order to avoid the PhotoBucket nonsense. Several thousand photos were restored to a lot of old threads here. If you upload photos from a PC you usually have to take an extra step to scale them down. You can also use links if you prefer to a photo storage site, but having the photos stored here keeps valuable threads in tack.
Thanks for the info! :)

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I think I have an app on my PC that will scale it down as well.
You will probably like to use Imgur to host pictures for free. I use Imgur for my build thread pictures and I've been done with Photobucket for the last few years when they started to block old links. Any current future plans for your Supra or items you still need to do?

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
I personally just resize the photos and straight upload them. It is a sure way for the photos to remain on the threads.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I personally just resize the photos and straight upload them. It is a sure way for the photos to remain on the threads.
I so agree. It was PhotoBucket that screwed the pooch and it was done with links off the site to free-hosted images. Could easily happen again. I would like to encourage posters to upload their photos here.

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
You will probably like to use Imgur to host pictures for free. I use Imgur for my build thread pictures and I've been done with Photobucket for the last few years when they started to block old links. Any current future plans for your Supra or items you still need to do?
You know, when I first started restoring her back in October of 2019, I thought eh, there won't me much that needs to be fixed or replaced or updated.

Of course that was wrong :)

The good news is that most things are/were in really good shape, but as I started to work my way through things, and really pay attention to it, I started coming up with endless ways to replace or refurbish.....everything haha.

One of my favorite things right off was a company out of the U.K. that made replacement shifter, ebrake and console covers. That really made a difference inside.

I also took the plunge and had my long time mechanic totally rebuild the brakes. I had 2 rusted calipers that were non functional and everything else showed the age of sitting for so long. With that I got all new calipers, pads, rotors, bearings, brake lines and associated hardware. The best part is i feel safe with the braking and have already had some hard braking events with people pulling out in front of me.

I would like to put a new exhaust on it. My current one I was able to yank off a MK3 in the Fontanta parts yard in December. For $40 bucks I couldn't go wrong and it replaced the cheap pass-smog exhaust I had to put on in 2008 after my original system rusted out from age and a BHG in 1997.

Also, I had the ujoints replaced on the original driveshaft in 2008 thinking they were bad. Now I get that vibration at around 60 so at the moment I can only drive around town and not open it up on the freeway.

Also I'd like to get the windows tinted again, ceramic this time, and I need to recharge my AC with 134 now and convert it from R12.

Once all THAT is done, I'd like to start looking at what it would take to have the engine rebuilt to put out about 400HP. I'm one of those that would like everything to stay as stock as possible, but with some things I know some much more current hardware would be needed. If it LOOKS stock but drives aftermarket, that'd be perfect.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Welcome, and your Supra looks great. Thanks for the responses about the your audio setup on the other forum. I happen to be more active over here.

The good news is that most things are/were in really good shape, but as I started to work my way through things, and really pay attention to it, I started coming up with endless ways to replace or refurbish.....everything haha.

That's about where I've been at with mine as well. Mostly in good shape, but if you decide fix up one little thing, it tends to have some surprises in store for you, and one project begets another...

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
Welcome, and your Supra looks great. Thanks for the responses about the your audio setup on the other forum. I happen to be more active over here.

That's about where I've been at with mine as well. Mostly in good shape, but if you decide fix up one little thing, it tends to have some surprises in store for you, and one project begets another...
Hey Sinistar! I'm the same about being more active on the other forum. What happened to me was that I found this forum first, but the email verification system was broken for a while and I could never get "approved".

I found the other site and started posting away. Then this site fixed the issue, and one of the guys here, also active over there, was able to change my username here to match there..... so I'm the same in both places.

And yes, fixing Supras is a lot like doing home improvement. You may start painting the living room, but when you get the kitchen, you did realize it was that bad...and on and on.! :)

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
I so agree. It was PhotoBucket that screwed the pooch and it was done with links off the site to free-hosted images. Could easily happen again. I would like to encourage posters to upload their photos here.
I just looked at your blog site and your driving lights are amazing!

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
Also one of my peeves about my car is that my nose piece has a light bend to it. I inspected the metal underneath and I can tell its not shaped exactly straight. This kind of confirms my suspicions that the car was in a front end collision before I bought it in 1995.

What's interesting is that this was before CarFax. I bought it from Red McCombs Mazda in San Antonio, and while a reputable dealer, its still a dealer. At that time there was 89K miles showing on the odometer.

In 1997 I had the BHG and had to replace the head etc. By 2000 I had run the odometer up to 170K (its at 171K right now because it wasn't driven much in....20 years..)

About 10 years ago I happened to run the VIN in carfax and whoa...odometer discrepancy. So if I remember correctly, the mileage in the report was something like 121K, so 32K phantom miles. My guess is they replaced the instrument cluster.

Also when I bought it, things like the headlight black trim pieces, coil cover plastic with Turbo on it, and various other things were "missing".

I did manage to score the metal piece I need to make sure my nose piece doesn't droop, but I just need to find the time to pull it all apart.

The good thing (or bad) is that I pulled it off of a car myself, so I know exactly what a PITA it is to get all that stuff off.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just looked at your blog site and your driving lights are amazing!
They’re nothing special as far as lights go. I have some super LEDs that need 40 volts to really burn, and I only get about 32 with boost converters. They have massive cooling fans and were a project in themselves. Shelved for now. These came off Amazon (and aren’t permanently mounted in that picture).
But thank you :)

Dumeinao

Authorized Seller
They’re nothing special as far as lights go. I have some super LEDs that need 40 volts to really burn, and I only get about 32 with boost converters. They have massive cooling fans and we’re a project in themselves. Shelved for now. These came off Amazon (and aren’t permanently mounted in that picture).
But thank you :)
Wizard of Oz:
"Pay no attention to those fog lights in the picture"... the fans suck more juice than my home AC and require a suspension modification to fit the housing! " :D