Help with finding a gasket

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
11432E-Washer-Gasket.PNG It's more like a washer than a gasket, but it is made of a composite material... it's fiber, but also lightly magnetic. The part number is 11401-11432E as seen on this drawing from Cygnus. I've been to two dealers and they've gone through the supersessions, alternately saying no longer available and they will be here tomorrow. Nothing. I've also been to both of my favorite hardware stores. Nothing :(.

Anybody have stock or suggestions? My engine and transmission are sitting there ready to go... for lack of a couple of gaskets.

Thank you all.
David

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
@Piratetip I'm not sure which numbers were ultimately searched. Several conversions were made, and several wrong parts brought to the counter. That's why I started out here today with the Cygnus numbers. The Cygnus catalog lists four possible engines, and this gasket is only used on the early NATO model (which I presume is North America Toyota). I got one of the plugs, and I saved one of the gaskets, was going to provide pictures but the system rejected every size file I tried to use.

Thanks for the URL. That looks like the next logical move, but first, I will try to nail down the right part number.

These plugs are screwed in and have a hex-head. The other three engine models have them tapered and the block is tapered. In this model they are flat and the block is flat to match. I wouldn't call them freeze plugs, as if they froze and reacted it would ruin the block. @plaaya69 the plugs in question are on the other side of the engine and behind and/or below the starter motor.

Great info here, but don't stop if you have more ideas :) I will research the overseas solution, but, hey, maybe someone has a source closer to home?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
If it’s tapped then just use a copper or alum crush washer. It doesn’t have to be fiber.
The crush washers will last long as well

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Interesting that they used to use 2 Hex bolts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=7mg...AUIDygC&biw=1600&bih=767#imgrc=9r9trD1JdlzRBM:

I would still suggest a local machine shop for the right size crush washer and they should point you in the right direction. Even Napa should have a drawer full of copper crush washers on hand or have them pull out their big catalog book they should carry and they should be able to get you the right size you need.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here's a small image (118x119)... thought I'd try again :)

Saturday: Sometimes I can upload, sometimes I can't. Here is a full-sized version of the smaller image that was here earlier :)

That's the plug and gasket to the right... Have one gasket, believe I have two plugs but can't find other at the moment.

This early block, pointed out by pictures IJ posted (which are gone today) is the reason that I dropped my HP expectation to 500 rw.

I have the early block and the early crank. Oh well.
View attachment 81830 reduced-size.PNG

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Can't view the image you just posted, too small.

Upload the full resolution image to imgbb.com.

Select BBCode FULL or Thumbnail, copy that link here to your message.

Here is an example I just uploaded there.
This is the code for thumbnail for this specific photo:

If you don't want to try and get the part overseas, plaaya69's suggestion is probably the best bet.
Find you local hardware store or NAPA that has large selections (assortments) of crush washers.
Just match it up to whatever they have for crush washers, Aluminum, Copper, Fiber they should all work.

Edit: Your photo is working now.
That gasket is quite large 41mm.

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Can't view the image you just posted, too small.

Upload the full resolution image to imgbb.com.

If you don't want to try and get the part overseas, plaaya69's suggestion is probably the best bet.
Find you local hardware store or NAPA that has large selections (assortments) of crush washers.
Just match it up to whatever they have for crush washers, Aluminum, Copper, Fiber they should all work.
A much larger version of the photo is there now.

In the old days we used PhotoBucket free accounts, spam and all. I deleted both accounts after getting to the point where I wasn't posting here. I realize that storage costs and all that, but sometimes I can upload sometimes I can't. I replaced that image you couldn't read with a larger one... the same size that would not upload earlier :) Go figure.

I've been to Marshall's Hardware, and they usually have everything. I've also been to ACE, Home Depot and Lowe's. No luck. Two dealers, and at least one $60 invoice for a handful of pieces, the plug in the picture about over 14 bucks :( The owner of the local machine shop is a p****, so I just don't go there.

Update: Chris Rhodes found me here and invited me to join his FB page: San Diego Supras. He also posted my request there, so I will wait a few days before trying @Piratetip 's suggestion.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah same here. Used to use Photobucket as well before they mucked it all up.

Check NAPA, one with a lot of those universal parts selections.
Or some other gasket equivalent should work.
Coolant system only sees a Max of 14psi or so.

Lowe's and HomeDepot don't have jack, I was just there looking for a small crush washer. They have nothing like that.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I did a lightning fast search and here is what I came u with

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Praedifa/Catalogs/Catalog_CompSealingWashers_PTD3358-EN.pdf

it is a PDF. Just look for the OD and ID to see what matches. They have a ton!
There sure have an assortment but nothing with the required dimensions. Interesting catalog & inventory for "five" different compression washers... great descriptions of the design and usage, including the various temperature ranges. Interesting. Thanks for trying :)

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
These 2 from the Parker catalog look just about dead on.
WZ 2543 V5170
WZ 2543 V5172

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
These 2 from the Parker catalog look just about dead on.
WZ 2543 V5170
WZ 2543 V5172
I ruled out the WZ series based on the description of the washer. The WO series looks to me to be the correct one, and they don't have the same sizes in that series. The ones you mentioned are pretty darn close 1.4 mm off on the outer, and 1.11 off on the inner. The second number is the FKM rating for temperature. Thanks for double-checking my work :)

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Why did you rule out WZ series washer?

Its self centering, has an overmolded/vulcanized NBR or FKM inner elasomer sealing ring.
Also those 2 part numbers have a burst pressure of 810 BAR!

These are interesting as the metal section is not designed to deform and seal.
The inner elastomer sealing ring does that.
It is a different sealing design than OEM, but would work IMO.

I would say they should work very well, as long as both sealing surfaces are clean and flat.