Help! Supra doesn't run right

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
The ol 6M crank.
Good thing you're questioning those torque specs, you'd have some more work to do otherwise haha.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so I had bought a set of gaskets and seals for the engine. Looking at the gaskets I'm thinking of not using them, especially for the block. I dont think those paperish gaskets will do well. I'm contemplating if I should use the black rtv or just use these cheap gaskets I got. What's your guys input on that? The gaskets for the head, exhaust and intake manifolds, rear and front seals, and crush rings are good. But my concern are the blocks gaskets.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
You might want to take some photos so it's clear which gaskets you mean.
Are you using RTV black or the FIPG?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
These are the gaskets I'm talking about

20200327_230850.jpg

20200327_230904.jpg

And I'll be using rtv black as I can get a pretty big tube at my local auto parts store. Isn't the FIPG similar to the rtv black?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Been busy since this quarantine. Tore block further down

20200328_161905.jpg

20200328_161939.jpg

Painted oil pan with high heat paint as old paint had chipped away and started building surface rust.

20200328_161959.jpg

20200328_162015.jpg

Also what are these plugs for and what are the torque spent on them. Couldnt find them on the tsrm.

2020-03-28_16.22.53.jpg

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
FIPG is higher quality from my experience but both should work.
Those paper gaskets should be fine. Looks like j-tube and some for the hard turbo oil lines or adaptors if you do soft lines.

I believe those two bolts are for draining coolant from the block iirc but don't quote me on that.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
FIPG is higher quality from my experience but both should work.
Those paper gaskets should be fine. Looks like j-tube and some for the hard turbo oil lines or adaptors if you do soft lines.

I believe those two bolts are for draining coolant from the block iirc but don't quote me on that.
Yeah for sure the toyota gasket maker will be much much much better but it sucks that it comes in a small tube. I bought a big tube of the black rtv today. I'm still going back and forth in my head if I want to use the paper gaskets or black rtv. Will decide soon. I'll look into those plugs.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Well all went south today. I was looking into the cylinder today, even though I should have looked at this in the beginning before I did all this work, and saw this in cylinder 1 where the oil was leaking into. Will be coming up with a new strategy now.

20200329_214732.jpg

20200329_214737.jpg

20200329_214743.jpg

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was thinking possibly bore and sleeve to keep the current pistons. Will have to talk to the local machine shop about that. Or I may part out this engine and go 1jz.
In all this time that i have been on here and SF, i have heard of people attempting to sleeve these blocks. I have not heard of a single success as of yet.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
In all this time that i have been on here and SF, i have heard of people attempting to sleeve these blocks. I have not heard of a single success as of yet.
Yeah I was really thinking about it and figured it would not work well. I'm really thinking of parting this 7m out and going 1jz. Possibly stay tune for a 7m part out on the classifieds section. I'm 80% sure I'm going to. Still need to motivate myself the rest of the 20%

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so I took out the piston in cylinder 1 and found out the snap ring broke and that's what shredded the cylinder :( . Piston is still in great shape. I decided to part out this engine and go 1jz. Will have a part out thread soon.

• Sad
Reactions: plaaya69

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so I'm trying to gather up everything from this 7m that i could possibly use in my 1is swap so there is that 1 less thing I'll need to buy. So far I've came up with I'll be using my current r154 tranny, radiator, radiator shroud and a/c fans, oil cooler, maybe intercooler, boost pressure sensor, driveshaft, maybe my exhaust system.

Any views? Yes I know the downpipe from a 7m doesnt fit to a 1jz but I'm thinking of having the old flange cut off and the proper flange welded on. And yes i know the intercooler inlet and outlets dont match but I was thinking of plumbing the piping to make it work. And finally yes i know I'll need the r154 to 1is bellhousing which i will be getting.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
If you want a good idea of what you'll need there is the jz swap for dummies thread and there is also the 1jz swap bible which is moreso a wiring related conversion pdf, both of which can be found on here with a bit of digging, but are worth their weight in gold as to the knowledge found in them.