Help! Supra doesn't run right

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
20180601_102750.jpg

Proof that you can get some parts from toyota new. They might not be the bigger parts but they are new. My little score you can say.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok found the dual fans and already ordered it. About to ordered the shroud from a member here.

I have a question though. My harness has the single fan setup. If I buy the second pigtail can I tie that one into the harness after the fan relay without issues? Or do I have to get the relay with harness for the dual fan setup?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so it should work then. I'm pretty sure the relays are the same. Only one way to test the theory is me doing it myself. When i get it all together I'll let you guys know the outcome. Hopefully I don't blow anything. Lol

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Man even though my supra isn't 100% there and isn't tuned with more power I'm loving the hell out of it every opportunity I gets to drive it. It is way more fun to drive compared to my 97 z28 6 speed I just sold recently.

Just sloooowwwwllllyyyy going through and getting things right on it. But at least it drives as of now. Currently getting the ac right as houston is in the high 90's. Next on my list new speakers.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Its definitely a great unique vehicle and those that own or owned one know the feeling.... Oh what a feeling Toyota

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Lol ima feeling it toyota. I almost bought one of them trucks ahwile back but ended up getting a 4x4 dodge ram which I ended up regretting.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so ordered the shroud and dual fan setup. They are shipped and on the way here. Will need to order the fan pigtail harness to connect the second fan. Anyone who has their ac removed and willing to cut and sell me the ac fan harness I'll take it.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was going to let you know on that fan harness, you can just use 2 regular standard push-on female terminals (per connector) and some thicker gauge wire to run the fans to if you do not find two connectors. This is how I wired in my single fan to a switch inside.

Maybe just a idea since you are doing everything custom anyway, tie both fans into a single connector and then run that single connector to a higher amp rated relay. Just make sure you get the polarity right on both fans so they are pulling air and not blowing air.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I was going to let you know on that fan harness, you can just use 2 regular standard push-on female terminals (per connector) and some thicker gauge wire to run the fans to if you do not find two connectors. This is how I wired in my single fan to a switch inside.

Maybe just a idea since you are doing everything custom anyway, tie both fans into a single connector and then run that single connector to a higher amp rated relay. Just make sure you get the polarity right on both fans so they are pulling air and not blowing air.
Welp no need to do that, I found someone selling the harness and got it off him. I should have everything within a week or so and will let you guys know the results. I also tested the single connection on the car for the fan and it is getting about 14 volts to the connector with ac on and zero volts with ac off so I know its getting the proper power. I know for sure the compressor kicks on with ac on and kicks off with ac off. Just need to double check the refrigerant to make sure it doesn't leak. And also going to drop in a new ac resister when I get my next paycheck. Then ac should be in perfect working order.

alcyon

Authorized Seller
I use "Super Lube synthetic grease" for all electrical connectors, grounds, battery terminals, ect.... pretty much anything electrical. Also I heard fluid film works great which is what I am buying next. I see Fluid Film used a lot after a repair in the "South Main Auto Repair" YouTube channel which has tons of great information and tips.
I love super lube! it fixed my speed sensor problem !

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so got the shroud and fans in and got them installed today. Tested both fans and both works. Just plugged one fan in as I'm still waiting for the harness I ordered. I completely forgot to ask the guy I bought the shroud from if he has the lower part of the shroud that covers the radiator fan. Will ask him today. As you can see on the last photo because I have the mishimoto radiator and with it being thicker then stock the fan housing and comperssor comes pretty damn close for comfort, but it works.

20180607_165928.jpg

20180607_173302.jpg

20180607_173310.jpg

20180607_173317.jpg

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Is this a good way to tie in a pigtail into a uncut harness or is there a better way to?

Way #1
41q9fLjshmL._SX342_.jpg

Way #2
20CA9E239E9BCCCFCB45D256C7CD9DD2CC53AF239ED2C6260323D23DCBCF26367393C966A483C953CCA023.jpg

Which way do you guys think is best?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I totally agree with you but I'm trying to avoid cutting the current harness. Wish there is some better way. If I have to cut I'll just end up using heat shrink butt connectors.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Cut the factory harness, tie in a barrel connector, add the wire you want (so you have two wires on one end of the barrel) and crimp both ends. Don't forget to add heat shrink to the barrel before you crimp the wires. You can get a universal connector kit like this for light electrical loads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DDWC1R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or this 3 pin connector for heavier electrical loads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDF317/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both of these and they also sell a weatherproof set as well in 1 to 9 pin connectors which I have as well.

I have seen many failures and more electrical problems with those style connectors that pinch the wire as they are commonly used in aftermarket alarm and radio installers. I personally would avoid those at all cost.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Okie dokie cutting it is. Wonder if autozone, oreillys, advance, or napa carries the barrel connectors! Will have to run out there and check. Will diffinantly need a better crimping tool as well.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok got the second harness in. Both fans kick on with ac turned on which is good. Ac pressure is 50 low side 230 high side with outside temp of 96°f. Low pressure lines to the touch is cold and high pressure lines to the touch is hot. But im not 100% happy with the output temp out the vents. They are only getting between 72°f to 77°f with thermostat set to 65°f. Should be cooler then that!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
The sight glass has been painted on sadly. And I was reading that chart but I've also read the high side should be roughly 2 times the ambient plus 50. So 96+96+50 is 242 which isn't that far off from the chart but that is a bit higher then the reading I got from my car. I may swap out the compressor and condenser. My condenser i noticed is a bit bent and the compressor looks in not so good condition. Will also drop in a new drier and expansion valve as well. Just rebuild the system in other words.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I remember the a/c on my old 87 non turbo was ice cold and the vents would even start to frost after awhile, no kidding lol. Toyota/Denso makes some of the best car a/c systems.

It would be a good time to change as many o-rings as you can in the a/c system and lines. I have also seen that a/c stop leak in a can clog up the drier and expansion valve badly because you might never knew who could have used it before you got the car.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I remember the a/c on my old 87 non turbo was ice cold and the vents would even start to frost after awhile, no kidding lol. Toyota/Denso makes some of the best car a/c systems.

It would be a good time to change as many o-rings as you can in the a/c system and lines. I have also seen that a/c stop leak in a can clog up the drier and expansion valve badly because you might never knew who could have used it before you got the car.
Kinda the reason I want to swap a bunch of parts out and flush the system.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Just ordered myself a coil pack top cover. It is in pretty bad shape but I'm going to restore it. Got it for a good deal. Figured those things are hard to find so I'll take what I can get.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
20180618_191136.jpg

20180618_191142.jpg

Got the coil pack cover in today. Will be repairing that crack and cleaning it up nicely. Other than that it is in good shape. I'm happy about it as this is the only one I found available for sale by itself.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
The plastic dries out and they crack. I suspect they are all the same everywhere.
Yeah I suspected that. I'm going to find a way to weld/melt the plastic back together and also find a way to soften the plastic back up so it won't be as brittle. Gotta do my research to find the best way.

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I still have a mint cover in my parts box when I got my 31k JDM motor but I do not want to put it on the motor as I know what will happen to it over time. I think I will mount it on the wall next to my old BHG. Has anyone ever thought of making a 3d printed cover with some high temp printing filament?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
What I did on my broken fan shroud was melt in some metal mesh across the crack using a soldering iron to embed the mesh into the plastic. I used metal mesh from a washing machine discharge lint filters, which are woven stainless steel.
The remelted plastic isn't nearly as strong as it used to be.

Attachments