Help identify this exhaust

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
I've had this on the car for years after buying it from a member on here, sold as an "HKS JASMA exhaust" if memory serves. It does have a JASMA tag on the muffler but as I understand it, that's just a certification. I've gotten as far as seeing an old HKS ad and think it might be a Legamax with a double wall slant tip, but I've never seen another in all my years of looking at Mk3 pictures and parts online. Anyone know more about this?

3" aluminized from the cat splits to twin 2.5" resonators around the diff, then back to a 3" inlet on the muffler. When I mounted it I had to cut and extend one of the rear hangers slightly but it looked like the previous owner had already made a change, so I don't know what was factory.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller

Here's the guy I bought it from back in 2010 with pics off the car. Looks like it came up for sale about a year earlier, labeled as a Legamax. Haven't been able to turn anything else up.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Strange overly complicated exhaust.
Interesting.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Very. And apparently the only one in existence. I emailed HKS years ago looking for info but didn't ever hear back. Maybe it's time for another try.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Have you tried locating an old HKS japanese exhaust catalog?
It might be in there somewhere.

I doubt any information will be available here in the states.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The location of the muffler to pipes flange is very HKS like. They usually emboss the model number on the muffler. I assume you already scoured it for part numbers.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Only identifier is the JASMA tag and haven't had much luck there. Guessing 051 is HKS's number, as it's associated with several of their models. And possibly made or originally certified in 92?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Jasma stamp isn't unique to HKS, it's just stating it meets some specs they have set.
Similar to DOT here.

Jasma:
The Japanese Automotive Sports Muffler Association

Your exhaust is probably genuine, but what model?
No idea.

Reactions: debrucer

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
This is about the only other thing I've found, looks like it's the N1 tip on mine:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Some closure for this request. Wreckless on SF said:

That's an HKS Sport exhaust for an MZ20 Soarer, which is why you had to move the hanger at the back. Discontinued a LONG time ago, late 90's early 2000's or so. It predated the 'Legal' and 'Legamax' and all that stuff by over a decade.

Reactions: sinistar_xx