Hello From Indiana

kdkbooster

Hey I just picked up an 87 MK3 Turbo with manual trans, only 66k miles. I am working on sorting out the car. So far I have spent most of my time cleaning. I can now take a drive without feeling dirty. Weather will be getting crappy here soon, but I have lots of winter projects, for the MK3.

1572144296373.png
Happy driving.

Kevin

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Nice!
Looks clean from that angle.
Welcome to the forum. :)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey I just picked up an 87 MK3 Turbo with manual trans, only 66k miles. I am working on sorting out the car. So far I have spent most of my time cleaning. I can now take a drive without feeling dirty. Weather will be getting crappy here soon, but I have lots of winter projects, for the MK3.

<snip>

Happy driving.

Kevin
Welcome!

Nice find! That sure is a low-mileage baby! You'll find lots of answers here as you get into sorting it out.

What are your winter plans?

David

kdkbooster

Hello,
My intention is to keep this MK3 pretty much stock, considering the low mileage and very good over all condition.
Projects Done:
New front speakers.
Clean, adjust and lube windows and lock mechanisms.
New E brake boot (getting tired of blue stains on pants)
Looks like the battery when nuclear at some point. Clean, neutralize rust and paint (paint may have to wait for warmer weather or a better garage heater).
1572490455086.png 1572490426399.png
Hopefully before weather gets too cold:
New HKS exhaust.

Winter To Do:
Paint-less dent removal.
All new sport roof seals. (see below)
Remove both front seats and fix leather.
New rear hatch lifts and rear speakers.
New Plugs and wires.
Inspect / replace ragged out vacuum and coolant hoses.
Repair cracked radiator fan shroud. Not strong enough to support body weight when working on engine.

Need to be sorted:
Suspension: bushings, bearing, end links, probably everything.
Fix starting issue, if not corrected with new hoses and ignition stuff.
Verify fuel pump pressures. (based on past owners comments about some “bone-head” he had install the last one)

The list goes on.
My OCD tendencies kick in, and I can’t stop.
I have a local support group, but they are all junkies too!

Kevin

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I bought my black with black stitching ebrake boot, shifter boot and armrest cover from this seller. Very good thick material and the fit was perfect.

On the rear speakers, if you have a local junkyard look for the 2nd gen Lexus GS300 as those came with factory Pioneer speakers in all 4 doors and the 2 rear Supra speakers are the same drop in 5.25" size.

On the rear hatch struts, these are the part #'s of the ones I bought. They also come with the mounting bracket and if you really want to add a nice touch get rid of those 4 steel mounting bolts it comes with (which will rust later on and leave a mess) and get some stainless button head steel ones instead.

Keep us updated Kevin on your progress and start a build thread as you go along.