Greetings from Italy

Zmith_33

Hi everyone!
I'm Luca, from Italy, and this is my 1990 MA70 Supra, 7M-GTE, R154 5speed.
It's FULL stock for now, but it's going to be slowly and vastly upgraded from now on!
Power-wise, my goal is somewhere between 400 and 500PS.
The car now has 200'000km (120'000mi) and makes knocking noises when revving it at partial throttle from about 1700 to 3000rpm.
Noise seems to come from the head, but I had people tell me it's either failed rod bearings or something wrong in the valvetrain (perhaps might be the cam position sensor coming loose).
The plan was to leave it on stock internals eventhough it's high mileage (I would've just upgraded the headgasket), but since I might have to change the rod bearings, I might even change piston rings, head studs and shim the oil pump.
Approximately, I'm going for tubular exhaust manifold, 3 or 3.5inch straight pipe exhaust+muffler, aluminum intake manifold and pipings, intercooler, something around 500cc injectors, t67/t78 turbo, thermostatic oil cooler, coil-on-plug ignition system, stock radiator and fans (might upgrade to alu radiator and electric-only fans), catch can and that's it. That's at least the setup I'm trying to follow, but I might have to change plans down the road if I see something wouldn't work right.
Advices and opinions are welcomed as long as they're respectful and constructive :)

Cheers

126850330_754984071754054_6135688152424582472_n.jpg

Zmith_33

Silver looks good from that angle!
Nice
Thank you :)
Yes I must admit it's actually a rather nice color for being OEM, but I'm gonna turn it to a brighter silver with flakes later on once I'll get the engine sorted hehe

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
With that many miles and the age of the car I would do at least a basic rebuild on the engine but that's me, dunno what your situation is.
Nice looking car though.

Zmith_33

With that many miles and the age of the car I would do at least a basic rebuild on the engine but that's me, dunno what your situation is.
Nice looking car though.

If you don't mind spending some time explaining to a newbie, what would you recommend doing in a basic rebuild?

I thought of doing piston rings, head studs, rod bearings, headgasket, head seals, covers seals, valve stems, crankshaft seals, misc gaskets...

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hi everyone!
I'm Luca, from Italy, and this is my 1990 MA70 Supra, 7M-GTE, R154 5speed.
It's FULL stock for now, but it's going to be slowly and vastly upgraded from now on!
Power-wise, my goal is somewhere between 400 and 500PS.
The car now has 200'000km (120'000mi) and makes knocking noises when revving it at partial throttle from about 1700 to 3000rpm.
Noise seems to come from the head, but I had people tell me it's either failed rod bearings or something wrong in the valvetrain (perhaps might be the cam position sensor coming loose).
The plan was to leave it on stock internals eventhough it's high mileage (I would've just upgraded the headgasket), but since I might have to change the rod bearings, I might even change piston rings, head studs and shim the oil pump.
Approximately, I'm going for tubular exhaust manifold, 3 or 3.5inch straight pipe exhaust+muffler, aluminum intake manifold and pipings, intercooler, something around 500cc injectors, t67/t78 turbo, thermostatic oil cooler, coil-on-plug ignition system, stock radiator and fans (might upgrade to alu radiator and electric-only fans), catch can and that's it. That's at least the setup I'm trying to follow, but I might have to change plans down the road if I see something wouldn't work right.
Advices and opinions are welcomed as long as they're respectful and constructive :)

Cheers

View attachment 84771
I remember when I bought my Supra with a blown head gasket. The plan was to fix it and flip it... then I fell in love.

15 years later... I'm getting close now....

Nice looking car. Great set of plans for it. Good luck! Welcome to SupraMania! Start a build thread and add plenty of pics :)

Reactions: Zmith_33

Zmith_33

I remember when I bought my Supra with a blown head gasket. The plan was to fix it and flip it... then I fell in love.

15 years later... I'm getting close now....

Nice looking car. Great set of plans for it. Good luck! Welcome to SupraMania! Start a build thread and add plenty of pics :)

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you don't mind spending some time explaining to a newbie, what would you recommend doing in a basic rebuild?

I thought of doing piston rings, head studs, rod bearings, headgasket, head seals, covers seals, valve stems, crankshaft seals, misc gaskets...
Looks like you're listing most things that should be done.
Just take your time and do it right, should last you a long time. If you need to bore out the cylinders get a torque plate for the block if you can, I would hope those aren't too rare with bmw's all over the place.

Starting a build thread is a good idea, helps with keeping track of things and allow us to give you input on things you might want to look into or perform. Hope everything goes well for you.

Reactions: debrucer

Zmith_33

Looks like you're listing most things that should be done.
Just take your time and do it right, should last you a long time. If you need to bore out the cylinders get a torque plate for the block if you can, I would hope those aren't too rare with bmw's all over the place.

Starting a build thread is a good idea, helps with keeping track of things and allow us to give you input on things you might want to look into or perform. Hope everything goes well for you.

As for the torque plate, I don't know: I tried searching for one on the web but couldn't find any.. From what I've read, it's not really essential to have, but maybe I'll ask a friend if he could make me one with his mill (?)

And yes, I've already started the build thread, if you wanna check it out :) http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/1990-ma70-4-500ps-street-build.249337/

Reactions: JustAnotherVictim