GPS tracker

finaltable

Grue
Authorized Seller
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I cannot find a forum that fits nor an existing thread on this topic.

I want to equip my car with a tracking unit, in part because it could get stolen and because I have an 18 year old son and 16 year old daughter. I've searched the web but wondered if anybody has experience with any of these units good or bad to help guide me as I go through this search process.

A kill switch would also be useful to ensure it doesn't get taken but the bigger concern is making sure kids aren't doing stupid things.

(Note: these are both very responsible kids. Straight A's and never once in trouble in school. That said, they are kids and the Supra is a car asking to be driven fast, especially since friends' families have Mustangs and Porsche's.)

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
First off, anything that plugs into an OBD-II port won't work on a Supra, as it doesn't have one.
Secondly, from my observations of other people having a car stolen is that you don't want it back when that happens. What you want is the insurance money. The car is never returned in any condition you want, even if it's not totaled.

There are easy ways to use an old phone with cheap prepaid data service as a tracker. That's surely the best way. You'll have to rig up a power cable and tap in somewhere to power the phone. Check the wiring diagram.

Hiding a switch under the dash to keep the car from starting isn't hard. But, it's easier to buy a steering wheel lock.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Linxup makes several trackers and some can be hardwired into the car instead of using OBD2. I think one is even battery powered. They work well. But I don't know about the kill switch. That sounds like a big liability if you kill the car while driving and cause an accident.

I don't recommend the phone thing simply because phones are not stable over long times. They will auto update or shut themselves off if left for long periods of time. I've tried using that approach for a semipermanent mobile hotspot and got really frustrated.

What I did with my kids was make them turn on their phone gps tracker. Then I could track what they were up to. Worked fine.

Last edited: