Fresh build issues...

shadowman1977

Authorized Seller
Hey all, I need some help here figuring this out.
Firstly, it’s a Euro import brought overseas by the previous owner. I bought this Supra 3 years ago (top of engine removed) and have replaced, tested or reconditioned most every part on the vehicle.
It is internally stock except for larger intake/exhaust pipes, larger fuel pump with adjustable FPR, GReddy boost controller with a spark cut adj. box, GReddy BOV, Apexi turbo timer, and extra telemetry.
I have removed the ABS and com, EGR capped off, EVAP system (gas tank replaced with fuel cell) and cruise cont.
The valve train is properly timed, ignition is timed, fuel pressure is 30psi.
I have ran it for about 6 hours now at the shop in 30 minute spurts.
Problems are I have to play with the pedal to get it to idle up for about 10 secs, than it’s fine until I blip the throttle. Sometimes it hesitates to rev up, but almost always when idle drops the engine stalls unless I drop it very slowly.
No power to windows, clutch safety switch is somehow being bypassed.
My check engine light and guages are all out so I cant even get codes but battery and door light work. I tried the snap on scanner with adapters and that pos uses the CEL also, fml.
I have swapped the ECM, tested all plugs/connections for power at key on going to electronics. O2 sensor, MAF, boost pressure sensor, IAC solonoid, CPS all tested within spec., coil packs and gap (spark plugs were black!!), set the TPS and tested wast gate actuator.
I tried driving to a gas station a few hundred feet down the road but as soon as I hit about 2k engine goes limp.
Not sure what is left...any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
First things first, you need to get that CEL light working properly. Troubleshooting without that is pointless, IMO. You're going to go through hell trying to figure out simple things that a quick code check would help you fix immediately with a working CEL.

Go fix that CEL first and foremost.

If you're running a US ECU, get that EGR system plugged in again. The US ECU counts on it and you'll run the risk of lean under power at partial throttle without EGR plugged in and working. If you want to ditch EGR, that's fine, but get a JDM ECU so you don't ruin (or at least excessively wear) your fresh engine.

shadowman1977

Authorized Seller
First things first, you need to get that CEL light working properly. Troubleshooting without that is pointless, IMO. You're going to go through hell trying to figure out simple things that a quick code check would help you fix immediately with a working CEL.

Go fix that CEL first and foremost.

If you're running a US ECU, get that EGR system plugged in again. The US ECU counts on it and you'll run the risk of lean under power at partial throttle without EGR plugged in and working. If you want to ditch EGR, that's fine, but get a JDM ECU so you don't ruin (or at least excessively wear) your fresh engine.
Yes the light out is driving me nuts, (working on that) gonna try swapping dash boards.
Its a euro import (all service manuals in german), built in Germany and brought overseas with the previous owner. So the ECU should be JDM right?

shadowman1977

Authorized Seller