For those interested in a full dashboard rebuilding service...

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Hey all,

Let me first start by saying that I'm sure there are many other shops, and many other ways to do this for our cars. I'm simply wanting to provide some info I've gathered in case any one else was curious. I'm in the phase of my build that I want/need to do some restoration based stuff which got me digging up some info about our dashboards. It's no secret that many of our dashes crack and they're becoming increasingly difficult to find used. Then once you do, it's only a matter of time before another 30/ish year old part starts to do the same. Mine just developed a small crack after 14 years of ownership, and it SUCKS. I know it'll continue to get bigger as well.

So I found a shop in CA that mainly does classic car dashboard restorations, and I figure it's about time that our cars classify as such, and therefore should be considered for restorations that the older domestics do. I inquired about the door panels, and a dashboard restoration and here's their response:

Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
Our current lead time is approximately 4 months from the time we receive your parts.
$1800-2000Dash (no fake stitch)
We don't work on these particular door panels
$100-$200 Color Match Fee
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping

Yes it's expensive, yes it takes a while. However, the cost of this type of labor intensive, attention to detail work should, in my opinion, reflect the amount of effort that it undoubtedly takes. Even though many other things on my car are taking precedence, (ie installing my Wilwood brakes, deciding on and rebuilding my full turbo and fuel system etc etc) when the dust settles, I'd be very interested in doing this.

Hope this helps satisfy some curiosity that may be floating around out there.

-Nick

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
THe door panels can be redone in leather without issues since it is a wood backing.

the dash item, that is really not a horrible price. Try to price an OEM dash...

4month lead time though... that is a heck of a long time. They must be really busy which is a good thing!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Nick,

Thanks for that info. I think a refinished dash is an bit of a capstone on a finished car. Great way to top it off. The cracked dash is definitely a huge detractor.

Is that pricing for vinyl? I'd want to consider leather or alcantara by the time I'm $2k into it.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Nick,

Thanks for that info. I think a refinished dash is an bit of a capstone on a finished car. Great way to top it off. The cracked dash is definitely a huge detractor.

Is that pricing for vinyl? I'd want to consider leather or alcantara by the time I'm $2k into it.
That’s a good point. I think leather or alcantara would be a really neat touch. And I totally agree, a capstone is a great way to put it.

Their website mentions them being a “vinyl restoration” based company. So perhaps they may not be the ones if leather is desired. Though... with the amount of volume they presumably move, other materials must have been requested. I’m sure it can be done, but the price increase could be significant.

Can the door panel arm rests be done? I have damage on my passenger armrest in the door pane.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Authorized Seller
Contributor
To me, That looks like ass. First, It does not cover the area around the vent section over the glove box. And it obviously doesn't have a piece to also cover the glove box. Secondly, that looks like a good demonstration of the difference between Shadow Grey and true black (I've never seen the Shadow Grey black in person). And lastly, the extra material on the side will at least make the re-installment difficult. It also could come unattached during the struggle.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
that ebay seller sells the glove box separately for some reason.

I flocked my dash, I think it looks great. The nice thing about flocking is you can do it over a repaired cracked dash. If I were to do it again though, use a spray gun for the paint and an air gun for the flocking, vs paint brush and manual application.

Miguel

Le Grand Supra
Authorized Seller
So the only good way to redo a dash is to contact that shop in cali then right? Theres an upholstery shop here in madera Ca that'll redo my dash for 1500. The guys work from lambos to oldschool Jaguars and such cars like that with lots of leather