For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

A. Jay

Search.
Authorized Seller
Here's my rear speakers:

Sorry, read that post on fitment but brain malfunctioned.

It is odd that a 5in speaker would still have a gap around the box flange since a 4.5inch has just a small gap too. I downloaded the polk install manual hoping they would have full flange dimensions but they don't.
If you're still wondering, maybe these pics will help:

I put clay around it to fill the gap. I got the idea from the previous owner who has replaced the speakers once already.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
you do know clay melts when it's in the sun, right..?

I left a small clay ball in my little coin pocket (if the car isn't TEMS equipped), and it melted to hell, had to scrape it all out...

HKS_TRD

Authorized Seller
I have the 301s in the rear of mine too, well I have them for the rear seeing as the car is completely in bits, I did test fit them on the brackets and they fit

I just need to decide what I am doing with the fronts, I have a pair of awesme Alpine 5.25 reference components that would be nice to use again, but they are a little small for the stock 91 brackets, I may need to go with a custom setup

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I have the 301s in the rear of mine too, well I have them for the rear seeing as the car is completely in bits, I did test fit them on the brackets and they fit

I just need to decide what I am doing with the fronts, I have a pair of awesme Alpine 5.25 reference components that would be nice to use again, but they are a little small for the stock 91 brackets, I may need to go with a custom setup
I know someone who would trade you brackets... *points at self* ;)

A. Jay

Search.
Authorized Seller
you do know clay melts when it's in the sun, right..?

I left a small clay ball in my little coin pocket (if the car isn't TEMS equipped), and it melted to hell, had to scrape it all out...
Damn, no I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what I can do.

And a bit OT, but what pocket are you talking about, cus I think I have it, but I also have TEMS.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Damn, no I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what I can do.

And a bit OT, but what pocket are you talking about, cus I think I have it, but I also have TEMS.

the one where my little Lightning McQueen rides in..;)

it may not be futile, however..

maybe you can use expander foam, or something similar?

A. Jay

Search.
Authorized Seller
the one where my little Lightning McQueen rides in..;)

it may not be futile, however..

maybe you can use expander foam, or something similar?
Wait, that pocket's stock? Cause I've seen that pic before, and thought you added it in or something, that's really cool (and so is your gear knob)!

Yea, I definetly want something that'll stick on its own. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and no, I don't have that pocket.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
You can get those coin pockets from Toyota, they're fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly. As for sealing up the gap on those rear pods, I would recommend strips of 3m double sided adhesive strips. they're kinda like a foam that's ~1" wide and sticky on both ends. Or perhaps some Great Stuff (I work at Home Depot, get all sorts of ideas haha), but if you're going with Great Stuff, use the blue kind, as the other types have a tendency to expand, harden, and break stuff. ;)

supranz

Authorized Seller
Hey everybody, I've had the doorcards off my 86.5 a bunch of times and being curious I've taken out the speaker pod to have a gander at what lies beneath. The space thats left looks perfect for a 6x9" speaker (a custom bracket needed obviously), has anyone tried mounting one there?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
You know, I can't say I've tried it, but I did have my door panel off recently, and you are correct, there is a pretty massive space there. Obviously the width of a 6x9 would fit, considering that 91/92's had 6.5" speakers there... I'd suggest you get yourself a cheap 6x9 and start fabbing something up. ;)

.TheJones-

Authorized Seller
I would have to agree. OEM speakers in vehicles of this age are junk. Crutchfield offers a matching brand set for front and rear on my 87. the db401's(79.99USD) and 501's(89.99USD) by Polk Audio. I have built many custom stereo's I have used PA in most of my applications for my mids and highs and have always been more than satisfied. Especially when using a 4 channel low power amp. There are plenty of other higher quality speakers that fit but you won't find anything else (from crutchfield) that will be brand matching. I would rather have lower quality speakers that are brand matching than have higher quality different brands between front and rear. Typically this results in better sound quality.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Db501's will fit the front door pods as well, quite easily. I have a set of both the 401's and 501's, wish I would have just gotten 4x of the 501's. ;)

.TheJones-

Authorized Seller
Db501's will fit the front door pods as well, quite easily. I have a set of both the 401's and 501's, wish I would have just gotten 4x of the 501's. ;)
I was unaware the 501's would fit the fronts as well. Does crutchfields provided bracket make that possible or does it require modification? My plan will be a set of PA components I will put the tweeter in the pillar I think. I think the 2 ways in the rear would be alright but the components up front would almost be a neccessity for me. I hate being so picky with my sound quality!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
If by 'modification' you mean taking a pair of snips or probably even scissors to cut out the outer part of the 'ring' where the screws go, then yes, they need a bit of modification. Seriously though, it's a piece of cake to put in the 501's. If you're interested in sound quality though, I'd look into replacing those door pods with the KevinM 6.5" bolt in pods. They're replications of the 91-92 door pods, find the thread in the group buy section! :)

.TheJones-

Authorized Seller
If by 'modification' you mean taking a pair of snips or probably even scissors to cut out the outer part of the 'ring' where the screws go, then yes, they need a bit of modification. Seriously though, it's a piece of cake to put in the 501's. If you're interested in sound quality though, I'd look into replacing those door pods with the KevinM 6.5" bolt in pods. They're replications of the 91-92 door pods, find the thread in the group buy section! :)
As stated in my introduction this is my first forum. I am astounded at how much information I have gotten in just a few short days. Thank you again for this great idea! Damn I hope I can contribute something useful at one point or another. HAHA

pablo94sc

Authorized Seller
I hate bumping old threads, but i was hoping for clarification on which rear speaker locations are which size. Are the rear hatch 3.5" and the ones under the quarter window the 4T, or do I have that reversed? Thanks!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
3.5"s are on the passenger side shoulder area, the 4T's are the ones in the rear hatch...

Pre 89's did not get the 3.5"s, just the two door speakers and the two hatch speakers..

salomon68

welkin
Authorized Seller
I have an 87 with front and hatch speakers. Just to clarify, Polk Audio db501's will work in the door and 4T speakers will fit in the hatch with very little to no modification? Does Polk Audio make anything that will fit in the hatch?

diego

is it possible to install five inch speakers in the doors for the 88 supra ? i mean i don't mind cutting, but i want my car to look clean...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Sorry I didn't see your question sooner Diego. I test fit the set of Polk DB501 that I bought to put in the rear of the car, and they fit just fine. Granted, not all speakers are the same, so it's best to measure the speaker pods before you buy speakers.

Alternatively, KevinM had a group buy on here that was for a really nice replica of the 91-92 6.5" door pods. I have them in my car, and am very happy with the results. :)

ae86ma70

Authorized Seller
I removed the rear pods and cut out the factory 5" mounting flange so that there was a square opening. I then used Liquid Nails to glue in a square piece of 3/4" MDF with a 5" cutout for a 5.25" midrange speaker (hole smaller than actual cone diameter). Not a lot of work and the end result is awesome. This also allows you a wide range of cheap component (or coaxial) speakers to choose from. I ordered a $45 set of Blaupunkt components off of Amazon to get the midrange drivers. I also used coaxial 3.5" dB Drive mids in the back seat location and added the cap(acitor) from the factory 3.5" to the woofer. This way I have a (almost) true 3-way system with decent imaging for the highs while still using passive 2-way crossovers.

For the front: Use the 6.5" door pods to add a 2-way 6.5/tweeter component setup. Not much room to install x-overs in the doors, so I ran an extra pair of wires through the door loom and mounted them inside the kick panels. Also, I saw recently that there is an eBay seller that is making 6.5" pods for the panel inserts below the rear 1/4 windows. This is likely a better idea than modding the rear factory enclosures, as my idea will only neatly allow for a 5.25" speaker.

XxRaskmanxX

Authorized Seller
Hey I have a 86 turbo and I'm looking to put in a Kenwood kdc-x994 deck and I was wondering if anyone could give me a wire diagram either a pic of just give me the wire functions by color

A. Jay

Search.
Authorized Seller
Hey I have a 86 turbo and I'm looking to put in a Kenwood kdc-x994 deck and I was wondering if anyone could give me a wire diagram either a pic of just give me the wire functions by color
If you buy from the right place (crutchfield for example, costly but it's because they have to pay for their awesome customer service somehow) it should come with an adapter and a wiring diagram so you don't have to cut into the car's harness; you make your own. This is mine (on the right, the connector came with the stereo and plugs into it. on the left, came with my purchase and connects to the car:

Edit: Sorry I'm visiting my parents and don't have the diagram around me.

XxRaskmanxX

Authorized Seller
That's what I was thinking about doin but the owner before me put in a pioneer in and cut up all the wires so I might just take it in and have someone else put a harness in soo I don't mess it up lol but thanks for the answer

ae86ma70

Authorized Seller
You'll pay more to have someone clean up the mess made by the previous owner. I would post a "want to buy" ad and get someone to send you the factory stereo wiring connector and wire it in, then go to wal-mart and buy the toyota harness adapter. Thern you can swap radios till the cows come home without having to cut anything. Screw Crutchfield and their inflated prices and incorrect fitment info.

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Authorized Seller

ae86ma70

Authorized Seller
Also, no such thing as an 86 Turbo. If your stereo is not getting power, check fuses. If you're not sure how to do that, pay a professional.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Also, no such thing as an 86 Turbo. If your stereo is not getting power, check fuses. If you're not sure how to do that, pay a professional.
There's no 86 Turbo in North America, but there's been a turbo MKIII from day 1 in Japan..

also, if you need an 86.5 stereo harness, PM me, I have one for sale..

connor.stephens

Authorized Seller
Had a quick question i'm bout to buy some OEM 6.5" Speaker pods to put in my 88 behind the 88 door panels and i know they will fit but about half the speaker will be covered by the door. For the people who have already done this do your speakers sound muffled? or is sound quality compromised by the door panel?

Connor

yongai27

Authorized Seller
i think kevinm may have leftover speaker pods, buy it from him for way cheaper. or even buy some ebay universal ones.

driftsupra

noh how do uget the rear speakers out of the 87 supra ..the hatch peice i like right in the way and i cant get a screw diver in their

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
noh how do uget the rear speakers out of the 87 supra ..the hatch peice i like right in the way and i cant get a screw diver in their
You have to remove the rear panel, and then unbolt the speaker pods and then finally unscrew the speakers out. Set aside atleast 2 hours if youve never done it before.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have put Eclipse SE8233 3.5" speakers in the forward facing mounts. They have the exact same fitment as above (post 41). I would suggest gluing them in like the factory (I used silicone) to avoid buzzing since the factory brackets are flimsy.

Attachments

ryansmith

Authorized Seller
Not sure if it's been said or asked, do the front door cards need to be fully removed to replace the front speakers or do the covers pop off thanks