First project car(newbie)(87, 7MGTE, Auto) seeking tips, advise, wisdom and suggestions.

Ogg1es

Hello(newbie), I am looking at building a 7mgte, My current goal is to get it driving without worrying about rodknock or BHG and eventually working my way upto 350-400hp over a few years, the head and block(top and bottom) appear to be in good shape just sat for ahile, I want to do this the right way the 1st time. I know to get head surfaced, i know to replace stock oil cooler and delete the banjo bolt, I'm planning on ordering full top and bottom gasket/seal kits, a metal head gasket(idk which one), ARP studs/install washers,A new aisin oil pump,a good set of used oil squirters, clevite rod/main bearing set, a high flow oil cooler(idk which yet), Aisin water pump, i heard about the walbro 255, and a gates timing kit, aftermarket BOV, turbo piping, new injectors, and spark plugs, and eventually eagle rods/pistons or maybe new oem ones, also planning on doing a 3inch exhaust system. If you have any tips, part suggestions, wisdom to give etc please tell me i will greatly appreciate it. Sorry for long post I am new to this forum thing.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Metal head gasket thickness will depend on how much material that the machine shop takes off of the block and head when they flatten the head. Cometic has been a decent brand for awhile.

You mention the oil cooler, good. Look up "full flow oil system", there are a lot of writeups on how to do it. I would add to that, and buy the ARZ oil pump pipe, it replaces the stock pipe connecting the oil pump to the block. ARZ sells them directly. Driftmotion also sells their own version that uses a steel braided line. I'd prefer the ARZ personally, but I haven't heard anything bad about the DM version.

300-400hp, you can get away with a stock rebuild (stock pistons and rods) as long as you have good control of timing and fuel. If you want more in the future though, now is the time to build it.

Driftmotion is a great source for parts, So is Raptor Racing. Amayama is a source for new stock parts from Japan. You can't get everything, but they still sell a lot. Knowing the part numbers you need helps a lot on their site.

Also, look up MK3 Supra groups on Facebook, there are a lot for selling parts, here are a few:

I've gotten some really good deals on parts through here, you just have to be patient and keep watching for posts.

A fantastic resource that people always miss is the Toyota Service & Repair Manual, which can be found online here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/

There is also the EPC, Electronics Parts Catalogue, on that website, so you can find part numbers for stock parts.

Ogg1es

Metal head gasket thickness will depend on how much material that the machine shop takes off of the block and head when they flatten the head. Cometic has been a decent brand for awhile.

You mention the oil cooler, good. Look up "full flow oil system", there are a lot of writeups on how to do it. I would add to that, and buy the ARZ oil pump pipe, it replaces the stock pipe connecting the oil pump to the block. ARZ sells them directly. Driftmotion also sells their own version that uses a steel braided line. I'd prefer the ARZ personally, but I haven't heard anything bad about the DM version.

300-400hp, you can get away with a stock rebuild (stock pistons and rods) as long as you have good control of timing and fuel. If you want more in the future though, now is the time to build it.

Driftmotion is a great source for parts, So is Raptor Racing. Amayama is a source for new stock parts from Japan. You can't get everything, but they still sell a lot. Knowing the part numbers you need helps a lot on their site.

Also, look up MK3 Supra groups on Facebook, there are a lot for selling parts, here are a few:

I've gotten some really good deals on parts through here, you just have to be patient and keep watching for posts.

A fantastic resource that people always miss is the Toyota Service & Repair Manual, which can be found online here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/

There is also the EPC, Electronics Parts Catalogue, on that website, so you can find part numbers for stock parts.
Is a standalone needed for 350-400hp?, what brand oil cooler would you reccomend? Parts/brands in general.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You don't need it, but it's much better overall. I like ECUMaster, they have a plug and play kit. The downside to standalone is always going to be cost (not just the purchase price, but the tuning). You can make 400hp with a Lexus AFM/550cc injector combo with something like an S-AFC, but you are really messing with the AFM signal (and timing) and could potentially wreck something.

Personally, I would go standalone if you can afford it and plan to keep the car long term. If you keep it, you might want more power in the future, and that is where a standalone will be a good investment now.

Oil cooler brands? Not sure on brand, but I'd just look at what Summit or Jegs sells, like B&M or Mishimoto. Make sure you use the right kind of lines and fittings that are rated for oil and the temperatures involved.

Ogg1es

You don't need it, but it's much better overall. I like ECUMaster, they have a plug and play kit. The downside to standalone is always going to be cost (not just the purchase price, but the tuning). You can make 400hp with a Lexus AFM/550cc injector combo with something like an S-AFC, but you are really messing with the AFM signal (and timing) and could potentially wreck something.

Personally, I would go standalone if you can afford it and plan to keep the car long term. If you keep it, you might want more power in the future, and that is where a standalone will be a good investment now.

Oil cooler brands? Not sure on brand, but I'd just look at what Summit or Jegs sells, like B&M or Mishimoto. Make sure you use the right kind of lines and fittings that are rated for oil and the temperatures involved.
Found the ecumaster DET3: $420, its a piggy back and very popular. or should i spend extra on an actual standalone for 1k

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would go with the ECUMaster Classic if you can afford it and the tuning. Full control over every aspect of the engine. If you want drive by wire, get the Black.

But again, it depends on your goals. If it's just a stock rebuild with a metal head gasket and a goal of no more than 400hp. it's probably safe to do with something like the DET3. Just make sure it is tuned very conservatively. If you want more power in the future and you build the engine with forged pistons and rods, then I'd go full standalone.

Reactions: Z06gette