First oil change after rebuild- health of engine ? [Pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
Re: Blowing white smoke out my exhaust after oil change

Ok so I recent got some help from a friend and had a chance to check everything I could out. I checked the 3000 pipe and not much oil. I pulled of the intercooler piping and started the car ,no oil in the inter-cooler piping and car still billowing white smoke. When i take the breather hose of the turbo white smoke billows from it

checked my leads going to the spark plugs - they are messed with oil! could this be causing white smoke once engine is warm?

white smoke only happens when engine is warm and only started happening after my oil change.could it be i overfilled which damaged my valve cover gaskets?

TheMaxx

Authorized Seller

Damaged valve cover gaskets would leak oil on the sides (i.e. into the spark plug valley, onto your fuel rail and exhaust). My car is above the full line on dipstick motor has 190k+ miles on it, while it is a little leaky here and there it leaves no oil on the ground when parked, and my valve cover gaskets are certainly not damaged. White smoke is usually associated with steam meaning coolant and water so you are getting water into your combustion somewhere. I would have started with pulling the plugs first and checking the cylinders with a flashlight and the plugs for being washed out. Someone else said turbo seals, I'm assuming this means water cooled turbo's however if you don't have a water cooled turbo that would leave the only option left being BHG. :icon_bigg

Unless you have somehow acquired large amounts of water into your gas? It's not impossible I guess but it would run terribly.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/bhg_faq.aspx that should probably help alleviate your search I suggest you favorite the homepage to that site

Last edited:

SRZMK3

Authorized Seller

Damaged valve cover gaskets would leak oil on the sides (i.e. into the spark plug valley, onto your fuel rail and exhaust). My car is above the full line on dipstick motor has 190k+ miles on it, while it is a little leaky here and there it leaves no oil on the ground when parked, and my valve cover gaskets are certainly not damaged. White smoke is usually associated with steam meaning coolant and water so you are getting water into your combustion somewhere. I would have started with pulling the plugs first and checking the cylinders with a flashlight and the plugs for being washed out. Someone else said turbo seals, I'm assuming this means water cooled turbo's however if you don't have a water cooled turbo that would leave the only option left being BHG. :icon_bigg

Unless you have somehow acquired large amounts of water into your gas? It's not impossible I guess but it would run terribly.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/bhg_faq.aspx that should probably help alleviate your search I suggest you favorite the homepage to that site
+ over 9000

take your plugs out and check the top of your cylinders for green fluid, take off your exhaust manifold you can see which cylinder is wet with steam by which exhaust port is soaked in water, water cooled turbos can leak a seal and cause white smoke, if its only doing it while warm that means it shrivels cold and then expands and flexes warm, or your head is warped just slightly and when it warms up the head gasket leaks. many different ways for white smoke to happen but all in all,,

coolant/water smokes steam white

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
White smoke problem - is it terminal? [ Pics inside ]

Hey guys

So im really worried, I think my fresh rebuild might be over after just 1400km..

Anyway I get white smoke , im definitely not burning coolant , the smoke smells like diesel , im quite sure im burning oil. no i havnt blown my headgasket.

- the white smoke only occurs when the car has warmed up , never on start up

- the white smoke will happen mostly and ALOT on idle , but not that much when there is load on the engine, will puff out white smoke when I slow down and put it into first gear

- the white smoke only starting happening AFTER my first oil change after the rebuild, it started immediately after I changed the ooil. Oil 10w-30 was used to run in and I filled 10w-40 Castrol Magnatec. Ive since done another oil change just incase I overfilled ,im now using fully synthetic 5w-40

- did a compression test today , wet and dry (as Im scared it might be my piston rings)

Dry 140 140 140 150 140 150

Wet 170 160 150 180 150 160

So... theres a 30psi variance between wet and dry in cylinders 1 & 4....

After my rebuild which included forged pistons and 288/288 cams I had to stick with my stock ecu as my autobox was/is playing up and im unable to tune any standalone because of this. This lead to me running very rich - ive heard that running very rich can wash the bores not allwoing the piston rings to bed in properly.

The way I see it there are 3 possibilities

a) overfilled oil , taking a while to burn of as a little oil = alot of white smoke. already traveled over 200km since possible overfill so dont know if this is possible that oil is still burning

b) turbo seal is gone , i have a stock 25 year old ct26 that might have just let go , but only after my oil change...to much of a coincidence.

c) dropped a piston ring - leading to white smoke ....this seems to be the most plausible ..

Here are some pics that was taken while I was doing the comp test and replacing my valve cover gasket(as it seemed to be leaking onto my exhaust manifold) -

Notice anything out of the ordinary? Ideas , suggestions?

any help is much appreciated

Last edited:

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
Re: White smoke problem - is it terminal?

My plans as it stands are

- do another proper compression test this weekend , make sure pedal is at WOT , make sure im putting the same amount of oil in each cylinder for wet test. Test each cylinder 3 times to get an average psi reading

-do an oil change and drop my 5w-40 fully synthetic and change to 20w-50 full mineral. Thinking the thicker viscosity might help to bed in parts that havnt already bed in...in saying that ive done 1500km already so if it hasnt already bed in ,doubt it ever will. still , couldnt hurt. i know my synthetic isnt doing me any favours if lack of bedding in is the problem

-anything else I should get done while im doing my compression and oil test

- remove turbo and check turbo oil seal , downpipe etc for oil and oil residue

- remove ISCV and clean all hoses connected to it

- TRY and get a leakdown test done somewhere.

-Also someone stated that burning oil is bluish,white smoke + burning oil smell indicates oil "vapourising" in the hot exhaust of the turbo (not combusted in cylinder), so since its only doing it when warm I should look for a stuffed turbo seal. Is this correct thinking??

-What else besides piston rings smoke only when warm and on idle but never on startup and on load?

IBoughtASupra

Authorized Seller

It doesn't smoke on load when warm? Maybe a stuffed turbo "seal" could cause this. Turbos don't have seals, I once did and Ian corrected me, there are more like rings. There is a write up in the turbo section.

What's the condition of the turbo?

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller

It doesn't smoke on load when warm? Maybe a stuffed turbo "seal" could cause this. Turbos don't have seals, I once did and Ian corrected me, there are more like rings. There is a write up in the turbo section.

What's the condition of the turbo?
good question , il only be able to answer it this weekend when I pull of my turbo. Turbo's are such a b*tch to remove on 7m's....

No...it doesnt smoke on load when warm , only at idle , and as Im slowing down and put it into first gear.

Doesnt smoke at all when cold or at startup.

Il have a look in the turbo section , cheers!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Sounds like REAR "seal" (ring) on turbo COULD be it. If ONLY/MAINLY on hard DECEL after being on load... and then continuing after slow-down... that COULD be a sign your turbo is "shot". If not a full removal, check for axial play from the front after removing intake side. This can be a pretty quick way to FIND excess play and make a pretty good first assessment of the turbo's condition.

G/L!

-crisp

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller

Sounds like REAR "seal" (ring) on turbo COULD be it. If ONLY/MAINLY on hard DECEL after being on load... and then continuing after slow-down... that COULD be a sign your turbo is "shot". If not a full removal, check for axial play from the front after removing intake side. This can be a pretty quick way to FIND excess play and make a pretty good first assessment of the turbo's condition.

G/L!

-crisp
thanks for the advice,. I will be fully removing it to see exactly whats going on. However the only thing that doesnt sit well with me with it being a blown turbo is that the white smoe only happened after oil change. Could it be that changing from a 10w-30 oil to a 10w040 oil made my possible turbo seal problem more apparent?

ps: turbo is 25 years old so its a definite possibility.... I just think its to much of a coincidence the turbo let go the exact same hour I did my oil change....

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
Disaster strikes! help please

So this morning I decided to fill more oil as my car has been burning oil recently(discussed in another thread)

SO I warmed the engine up , filled oil.

Drove along for about 20min , moderate driving , my temp gauge starts going up

I pull over and there's coolant dripping onto the ground with a hissing sound coming from the cylinders furthest away from the cam gears(towards the back of the engine)

Immediately I thought BLOWN HEAD GASKET

So I let it cool down, popped the radiator cap off and stream of coolant shot out(obviously I didn't let it cool down enough)

Refilled coolant , started engine. Engine temp normal. Drove the car around for 20min , hit boost quite hard...still no temp raise , popped the hood , all seems fine.

Looked at the coolant on the ground , just coolant , not coolant + oil. Checked radiator cap , just coolant , no coolant + oil.

HAD TO use my car to get to work , so I drove to work , 40min in stop start traffic. Engine temp normal , no more coolant leaking , engine seems fine....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

I know the only way to properly test for BHG is a compression test which I will be doing this weekend. Until then , any thoughts?

Could there have been air trapped in the cooling system somehow that was let out when I opened the radiator cap
Could the oil I filled this morning somehow caused this to happen...

At work and at a loss right now.... and I have to drive another 20km back home.....

gsxr141

Authorized Seller
Re: Disaster strikes! help please

adding oil had nothing to do with the coolant. you could have had an air pocket in the cooling system, but that wouldn't explain the hissing sound.

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller

Bhg leaking from the water jacket, is my guess. That's what happen to mine. Just because they didn't mix doesn't mean its not a Bhg.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Authorized Seller

Pressure test the cooling system, you probably have a hose leaking somewhere at the back of the head.

Backlash2032

Authorized Seller

Its probably the 90* hose at the back of the head, or the heater hose. I wouldn't jump immediately to BHG just because its a 7M..

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Authorized Seller
Contributor

When dirt gets on my car, I immidiately think " Oh shit, is it BHG"? It's a natural first thought whenever there is a problem.

oldsking

Authorized Seller

Probably just a leak from the hoses in the rear.. everybody going for BHG haha

Clint

AzSupras.com
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Also check the coolant hose on the turbo side of the head underneath the CPS, its a 90 degree hose that loves to kill 7m's, make sure you inspect that one as well...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

I vote leak in cooling system. You can rent a cooling system pressure tester for free from most auto stores. I'll bet you hear a hissing sound from a coolant hose. Maybe in the back of the head. ;)

For future reference, I always replace the 90 degree hose, the clamps AND the union (the metal piece that actually fits into the head). The union piece is like $7 from Toyota. Totally worth it.

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller

thanks for all the help guys , will definitely be doing a pressure test. Yes every 7m owner goes to BHG as their first thought ESPECIALLY if they see coolant....

will also replace the coolant hose on the turbo side of the head underneath the CPS

does anyone have a pic of this , link of this part in the tsrm?

thanks again for the help much appreciated , will do pressure test and report back.

Rickstar22

Rocker...Not Hippie
Authorized Seller

Its probably the 90* hose at the back of the head, or the heater hose. I wouldn't jump immediately to BHG just because its a 7M..
This...

I had the same problem shortly after my build. I didn't get the clamp tight enough, but this hose is known to fail.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller

When dirt gets on my car, I immidiately think " Oh shit, is it BHG"? It's a natural first thought whenever there is a problem.
Your car has trained you well sir. :p

I vote leak in cooling system. You can rent a cooling system pressure tester for free from most auto stores. I'll bet you hear a hissing sound from a coolant hose. Maybe in the back of the head. ;)

For future reference, I always replace the 90 degree hose, the clamps AND the union (the metal piece that actually fits into the head). The union piece is like $7 from Toyota. Totally worth it.
You do this IN the car, or do you pull the motor? Had to do that when they milled my 7m head a long time ago, the original one was frozen in place.

This...

I had the same problem shortly after my build. I didn't get the clamp tight enough, but this hose is known to fail.
I also had this problem, didn't tighten the clamp on that hose on the back of the head enough. I was afraid that I was going to crush the union fitting's pipe, as I used to have a problem of over-torquing things. Ended up leaking all over the top of the transmission, I thought I had BHG again already...

If you have not already, replace EVERY cooling/heater hose on your car......

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?114793-All-7M-GTE-coolant-hoses
Not a bad idea at all. While you're at it, PLEASE tell me that you're using distilled water in your coolant...

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
Re: White smoke problem - is it terminal? [ Pics inside ]

so removed the dump pipe today. didnt seem to be any visible oil :

Towards cat and muffler - no blockage

Just the usual amount of smoke appearing after the dump pipe was removed. Didn't seem to be extremely white or excessive , just normal exhaust fumes. How can this be?

[video]http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd484/aloshandookie/?action=view&current=video-2012-02-12-15-35-30.mp4[/video]

Also it was suggested that there might be oil in the lines running to and form the iscv as the white smoke happened mostly during idle. Disconnected the lines , their seemed to be a little oil as you can see:

After all this , the smoke still exists , only when warm and only during idle.

Dont know what else to do...

Typhoon

Authorized Seller

1400km after rebuild? Let me guess, you've been babying it, driving it to and from work? I've seen rings take 5000kms to bed in and that's not uncommon. Did you do the rebuild? What were the bore clearances set at?

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller

1400km after rebuild? Let me guess, you've been babying it, driving it to and from work? I've seen rings take 5000kms to bed in and that's not uncommon. Did you do the rebuild? What were the bore clearances set at?
did not do the rebuild myself ,was done by someone experiences with the 7m. Not sure what the bore learances where at.

Yes I was babying it and driving it to and from work (20km is each) twice a week. Dont baby it as much now though but still dont thrash it due to the white smoke problem

5000km to bed in?? are you serious? ive never heard it take that along before. Assumed that if they havnt bedded in by now im fucked...

Typhoon

Authorized Seller

Drive the car. Go for a nice hour or two drive, get everything well and truly up to temperature. Don't maintain a set speed too long, do some reasonably heavy accelerations up to about 3-4k rpm here and there, load the engine up.
Just don't rev it to redline, a little boost won't hurt.
Driving 20km each way in traffic is not a great way to seat rings.

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller

Drive the car. Go for a nice hour or two drive, get everything well and truly up to temperature. Don't maintain a set speed too long, do some reasonably heavy accelerations up to about 3-4k rpm here and there, load the engine up.
Just don't rev it to redline, a little boost won't hurt.
Driving 20km each way in traffic is not a great way to seat rings.
yes but ive done this numerous times already. Did heavy accelerations. This problem only started happning after my first oil change after the rebuild. Been driving about 300km since this problem occurred , so rings should have bedded by now or excessive oil should of been burnt off....

aloshan

night ryda
Authorized Seller
ALL of the threads on this one topic Merged into one place, every single thought you have doesn't require a separate thread.
why thank you IAN , wanted to put them into the correct sections (turbo ques , auto ques , engine ques) etc but I guess this way is preferable? :)

suprakidd

Authorized Seller
deffinently get that turbo rebuilt/replaced... did you check for slight oil residue in the ex ports? did you get valve seals replaced w/ build? just trying to help rule out a dying valve seal...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
why thank you IAN , wanted to put them into the correct sections (turbo ques , auto ques , engine ques) etc but I guess this way is preferable? :)
The same people that are interested in helping you will be able to answer all of the questions, there's no need to scatter it all over the forum it just makes it harder to get an overall view of the "problem"..

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Authorized Seller
I would bet my money on your turbo. The same thing happened to me when I rebuilt my old supra a long time ago but I knew the turbo was shot, I had to save up and get it rebuilt. I recommend either getting a new turbo, rebuild, or upgrade...

Typhoon

Authorized Seller
Coincidence, it does not apply to engines. All these problems are linked to one issue. OP doesn't know jack about engines, and instead of cluttering up the forums with questions and refusing to listen to very knowledgeable people, he should just spend a few hundred dollars at a mechanic.
I guess the OP is the epitomy of what happens when intarnetz knowlegggge is believed to be actual knowledge and inspires a false sense of knowing better than people with 20+ years of experience with old engines and cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.