fire blanket

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
How does the fire blanket work? yes, I know the buttons melt and the blanket falls in the fire and smothers the fire. I know the material is fireproof.

What I want to know is: is there anything else that contributes to smothering an underhood fire, besides the fireproofing of the material and it physically falling on the engine, or is there a layer of magic fireproof material (just kidding) that helps put out the fire? Or is it the physical act of the blanket falling on the engine and with the help of fireproofing material? I mean by eye It looks like a piece of house insulation with a layer of black mesh on top.

Where do I get the discontinued buttons?

In my opinion:: sound deading and a turbo blanket will not help me (which I read here) and I agree.
Thanks, members!

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Simple Fire science...

Three things needed for a fire. Heat, Oxygen, Fuel.

The blankets limits O2 useage hence the word smothered is correct. It actually smothers the fire by depriving the fire of O2.

FYI, the buttons are going to be plastic which will have a WAY lower melting temp than just about anything else in the engine bay.

On the blanket itself. More than likely it is not fiberglass but a mineral wool based blanket. Brown in color, fairly dense. No itch when handled (unlike fiberglass).

Last edited: